Recommend me some music

Mr.E

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Ralphy! enjoyed those a lot earlier on!

Can anybody think of any "southern US" rock bands that aren't all 'MURICA? I've had Lynyrd Skynyrd on this morning, and some it was ok, but many newer songs about hunting/guns and the such like hah.

Currently working through best of Bad Company :)

Can anybody think of any "southern US" rock bands that aren't all 'MURICA? I've had Lynyrd Skynyrd on this morning, and some it was ok, but many newer songs about hunting/guns and the such like hah.

Corrosion of Conformity (Wiseblood or Deliverance) and Nola by Down are two good jumping off points.

Not Southern rock but Melvins might appeal, start with The Bit and go from there.

• Paid Members

Teenage Fanclub! They're so good they make want to cry. Nicknamed the Bellshill Beach Boys and one of Kurt Cobain's favourite bands.

They were very much part of the grunge scene, but turned into a Byrdsesque type band by the mid nineties. Alcoholiday is my favourite tune but on another day it could be one of many.

i saw Teenage Fanclub way back in the day supporting Radiohead on the OK Computer tour. I have a copy of Grand Prix which i bought around that time but that's about as far as i went with them. Think i need to dig into that back catalogue.

• Paid Members

Seeing as you like the chilled-out vibe, you should check out Koan - they've become one of my favourites over the past couple of years.

Selena's Song by Koan:

Molly Hatchett maybe? Not that I know much by them really, just they sprung to mind.

Though as I type this, I'm listening to Bonnie Raitt's Something To Talk About which I first heard in a taxi in Florida for Mania 28. Then I never heard it again until til I was in a taxi in New Orleans for Mania 30, so the south must love it. It's blues with some lush slide guitar. She has an incredible voice and is an incredible guitar player. The lyrics are excellent too, though this is a cover so they're not hers. Such a 90s video.

As for something recent, I'll go with Tame Impala. They're not a hidden gem or anything - they've just won a Brit for Best International Artist in fact - but they're my go-to pick for something like this. I can honestly say that their music helped change my life last year. However, I stress that you need the right listening environment for the album I'm going to recommend. I think it's amazing alone with no distractions, just where you can think and reflect to it. Or off your tits on hallucinogenics I imagine.

Lonerism is the album I'd most recommend, though Currents is their latest release which is perhaps more accessible and is also a great album. This one is more psychedelic. Incredible drums too.

One of my favourite songs of all time from Lonerism:

I'll thrown in some funky shit too to round it out.

Give Black Stone Cherry a try.

Also, although not Southern give Black Label Society a listen if you haven't already. Especially if you are into heavy/but not too heavy

Black Stone Cherry I'm actually very familiar with, (Mrs E loves them), so i have all their stuff by proxy hah. I find them to be "OK", and also very similar to a fair few "generic" rock bands from the US.

I will , however, check out Black Label Society :)

EDIT: Also @Ralphy : Many thanks for that, I'll work through all of those (slowly) hah.

Archived