Recommend me some music

Mr.E

• Awards Moderator

Rush.

Grace Under Pressure > Moving Pictures

Terry Brown's production annoys me. You can't escape the wanky sounding guitar on all those pre-1984 albums. GUP was the first one without him and its fucking brilliant.

It's all about 2112 for me. Wankery of the highest order, but by god it's wonderful for it.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's all about 2112 for me. Wankery of the highest order, but by god it's wonderful for it.

Oh it's a great album, no doubt. I just find it hard to listen to the studio versions of all the tracks recorded in that era. If I'm putting 2112 on, I go for Different Stages.

"Bandwagonesque" was one of two albums I bought on the back of seeing one-off performances on "The Word". The other being "Generation Terrorists". In the case of The Manic's, it was quite a statement for a debut album to be a double-disc affair w/ gatefold sleeve.

6679c8466231702.jpg

....£7.49 apparently.

On the Rush-front, "All The World's A Stage" was  one of my fav's, back in the day.

• Paid Members

Teenage Fanclub! They're so good they make want to cry. Nicknamed the Bellshill Beach Boys and one of Kurt Cobain's favourite bands.

They were very much part of the grunge scene, but turned into a Byrdsesque type band by the mid nineties. Alcoholiday is my favourite tune but on another day it could be one of many.

the Fannies have some amazing songs / albums, and we should never forget that they had to pay Gene Simmons when Bandwagonesque came out due to him owning the copyright to the money bag with a dollar sign on. bandwagonesque...what an album. Thirteen..what an album etc

They really called one of their albums Thirteen? That's wearing your influences, I'll give them that

• Paid Members

Flash has a couple of good tracks. Hot Space had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I'd say News of the World is the best starting place.

I'd agree News of the world is a great album, just phenomenal.

I was always a fan of Jazz despite swimming against the tide on it.

Innuendo is fantastic bar the song about cats. Bijou is an absolute delight.

Teenage Fanclub! They're so good they make want to cry. Nicknamed the Bellshill Beach Boys and one of Kurt Cobain's favourite bands.

They were very much part of the grunge scene, but turned into a Byrdsesque type band by the mid nineties. Alcoholiday is my favourite tune but on another day it could be one of many.

Or if you wanna go beyond that Big Star and/or Love

Listen to the Ark work by Liturgy, it came out last year and it's incredible. I've never heard anything like it but it's usually described as arty avant garde black metal. It's super abrasive in a completely unique way.

This is my favourite song of 2015

For something less challenging Frank Black of the Pixies fame's first two solo albums (self titled and Teenager of the Year) are two of my favourite albums ever. The guy was on fire at that time and for me they're two of the 90s' best albums.

I would have put my house on them actually being called Litter J, what a fucking idiot I am.

Hot Space isn't actually that bad an album at all - it's definitely better than A Kind Of Magic and much of The Miracle. It's practically impossible to recommend Queen, though, because it's all so varied, so I might just use this to copy a post I made on Reddit from someone who asked where to go next after exhausting the Greatest Hits albums:

It really depends on the stuff you prefer. If you're more into the first Greatest Hits, go for a more accessible 1970's album like News Of The World, if you like that go to Sheer Heart Attack, then A Night At The Opera and A Day At The Races.

If you prefer Greatest Hits II, the strongest collection of tunes from the later years is probably The Works, The Game not far behind. Innuendo can be difficult to get into but, for my money, is easily the best of Queen's post-1970's work.

If you're more into Greatest Hits III, then you crazy.

But that's how I'd do it. Stay away from the first two albums, at least initially. They're fantastic, especially the second, but there isn't much there that's in common with the Queen you currently know!

An alternative is to find the three Deep Cuts compilations - which are a fairly good representation of the "best" of Queen's lesser known material. Then, armed with the hits and the lesser known stuff, you can work out which albums you'd probably enjoy more.

Update!

@Tommy - Credence Clearwater Revival = very cool

@ Colin Bollocks - Swans = not bad, will check out the others when possible

@gbacon85 - Hotelier = fairly cool, not normally into that style of music, but was very good!

@gay as fook - WEEN = A bit up and down, some stuff really good, other's not so much.

@Juan manforce, already had the RUSH best of on, and enjoyed it very much! 

@tommy (Again) - will look into Queen, as mentioned I've only every had the best of's, and enjoyed best of 2 the most. So will check out there back catalogue

Ghost, Mr Bungle, Winger, teenage fan club, Nuclear assault, Municipal waste, Novos Baianos, Vincent Capretta, GOAT, Puscifer, BORIS, Emancipator are all on the play list for today (the rest of the week hah).

Also cheers Wooly for the PM, i'll get that stuff checked out as well.

• Paid Members

Asylums, one of my favorite new bands. I saw them support Ash in December and they were great. They've only put out a few singles at the moment, they self-release everything. It's just geeky pop rock, it all sounds a little mid-90's but they write awesome tunes.

• Paid Members
Innuendo is fantastic bar the song about cats. Bijou is an absolute delight.

Bijou was also about a cat [/Queen Pedant]

But yeah, I love that album.

Queen were my first 'proper' musical love (after the Mr. Blobbys & WWF Superstars of this world), and from the very beginning Sheer Heart Attack has been my absolute favourite album.

Update 2:

Ghost: Whilst I did like the overal music, they are a bit too "Satan"-y for me hah,

Mr Bungle: Awesome stuff, Am i right in thinking this is The chap from Faith no more?

Winger: I enjoyed this a lot hah. Winger are awesome :D

Novos Baianos: Something a bit different, much more chilled out. Loved this  :)

Emancipator: Same as the above, very Zero 7, (if anybody has listened to them) chilled out today ha.

For everybody else I'll suggest this: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLmhZr5mQlk , the best of Mountain :)

• Paid Members

Glad you liked Emancipator. Been listening a lot to them recently, very chilled, puts me in a mellow and productive mood.

Grandfather Clock by This Will Destroy You:

Archived