The Worst Gimmick Match Concept Ever

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

The Triple Cage in WCW has to be on that list as well. So to win you have to climb to the top retrieve the belt come back down and through the door. So logically why wouldn't you just let someone climb to the top and wait by the door for them so you can deck them and just take the title. Stupid WCW logic.

They've got a belt. If you get hit with a belt in wrestling, you're pretty much dead. Everyone knows that! So it's best to get to the nuclear weapon first!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Has anyone mentioned the TNA electrified cage from Lockdown '07? It was (obviously) not electrified, and they had to play a humming noise of fake electricity in the arena, while the lights flickered and LAX and Team 3D had to sell being electrocuted on contact with the metal, doing fake convulsions and terrible facial expressions.

Utter dross.

Oh god, I'd quite forgotten that. Wished it had stayed forgotten.

Second anybody that has said scaffold match, utterly bizarre. The wrestlers, understandably just spend the entire match tip toeing around, they throw half hearted strikes to ensure they don't throw themselves off balance, constantly checking there position to make sure they are central on the walkway. Not to mention extremely dangerous. It's a ridiculous concept in my opinion.

• Paid Members

Not so much the worst, but definitely among the most WTF is the Disco Ladder match, both for the concept and the setting. It was the first ever All Star show on ITV, coming the week after one of the most atrocious Big Daddy six mans ever, so Dixon was doing all out to make a splash. He ran the Hippodrome nightclub in London, had an opening match with a young Jushin Liger, then a match with Mark Rocco on ITV for the first time in a few years, then main evented with Kendo Nagasaki returning to TV for the first time in eight years.

Except that wasn't enough, so they had a ladder match where you had to retrieve a golden record. Oh, and during the match, the disco lights were in full effect and the sound system played classical music. Suffice to say, Kent Walton was utterly baffled throughout.

As has been said, Feast or Fired is the absolute shits. It Kayfabe terms, it shows how daft wrestlers are that they would willing put themselves in a situation where they have a 1 in 4 chance of losing their job. Why would any of them do that.

Special mention for that massive red bird cage thing they use. Two reasons for this-

1) as Homicide showed everyone on the first night of the so called Monday night "war" between Impact & Raw, escape is fucking impossible

2) you can't see shit

An extra special mention for anytime wrestling, or more specifically Russo, decides that the one thing wrestling fans to see on a wrestling PPV is an MMA fight. Up for watching Ernest Miller v Mike Sanders at WCW Halloween Havoc 2000 or AJ Styles v Frank Trigg from TNA whatever the fuck it was anyone?

• Paid Members

Way I see it, the only way they could make Feast Or Fired anywhere near palatable is if they either had three shots for the World title, or if they had one case as a real "Feast" - chock-full of goodies to make it worth it, i.e. World title shot, massive win purse (kayfabe), couldn't be fired or put in a "loser leaves" match for a year, gets their own tour coach and entourage.

An extra special mention for anytime wrestling, or more specifically Russo, decides that the one thing wrestling fans to see on a wrestling PPV is an MMA fight. Up for watching Ernest Miller v Mike Sanders at WCW Halloween Havoc 2000 or AJ Styles v Frank Trigg from TNA whatever the fuck it was anyone?

No surrender 2008, I think as Samoa Joe was champion, a waster of AJ as he looked so shit in a time in TNA when you had so many really good matches from people like The Black Machismo, Angle, Joe and Beer Money.

• Paid Members

In 2010 there was a match where 4 Knockout's had to obtain keys to unlock boxes. The thing was nobody knew which key opened which box and inside the 4 boxes were a tarantula, a contract for a match of their choice, "the right to perform a striptease or be fired" and the TNA Knockouts Title. The champion was involved in this farce and didn't leave with the belt.

Hang on, why have a match when you already had a 25% chance of becoming champion? I don't understand.

In 2010 there was a match where 4 Knockout's had to obtain keys to unlock boxes. The thing was nobody knew which key opened which box and inside the 4 boxes were a tarantula, a contract for a match of their choice, "the right to perform a striptease or be fired" and the TNA Knockouts Title. The champion was involved in this farce and didn't leave with the belt.

Hang on, why have a match when you already had a 25% chance of becoming champion? I don't understand.
I THINK it was something like one of the knockouts stole Tara (the champion) spider and to get it back she had to put her belt up. I remember her jumping for joy when she got the spider, completely ignoring the fact she'd just lost the belt.

Way I see it, the only way they could make Feast Or Fired anywhere near palatable is if they either had three shots for the World title, or if they had one case as a real "Feast" - chock-full of goodies to make it worth it, i.e. World title shot, massive win purse (kayfabe), couldn't be fired or put in a "loser leaves" match for a year, gets their own tour coach and entourage.

Something worth mulling over about the first one. Low Ki won a contract. He then lost it to Daniels and he left the company. And Daniels got the Fired briefcase so he could be Curry Man and he eventually got fired by the same means the next year. Presumably as part of an unfunny running gag. Surely it would've made more sense for Low Ki to hang around until the reveal so firing him made more sense?

• Paid Members

One of the highlights of Vince Russo era WcW was the San Francisco 49ers match between Jeff Jarrett and Booker T. 4 boxes, one in each corner of the ring. 1 box contains the World Title, and the other 3 contained things you could use in the match. The person who finds the box with the title wins. The first three boxes contain a blow up doll, a framed picture of Scott Hall, and a coalminers glove (Coalminers glove match is also shit). The Title actually fell out of the box and was passed to Booker T by the ring announcer. It also featured a run in from a midget called Beetlejuice and Scott Steiner at his most rampantly roided up best. I know that this sounds entertaining but believe me the presence of Jeff Jarrett took care of that.

Apart from how awful the match was the concept is flawed. Logical booking dictates that the title is in the last box. That takes any chance of drama out of the first 3.

Archived