There are no characters!

Michael_3165

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any time I've seen Reddit, it's full of people clamouring for Wrestlemania to headlined by 2 out 3 Falls Iron Man Ladder Hell In A Cell matches between Prince Devitt, Kevin Steen, Jon Moxley, Tyler Black, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles and Brian Danielson. It's always good that they put their WWE names in brackets afterwards otherwise I'd have no idea who they're talking about.

That, or CM Punk wins the title from HHH in an Iron Man match by 35-0

Cant help myself. Cant leave forum (flame away). Thicker skin grown and all that.

I think in general there were More characters back then and alot better than they are now. Alot of it though is due to a number of factors of then versus now,dilution, loss of business mystique, less saturation, less tv, overall peoples mentality etc.

E.g. if a bald 28 year old, with a fu manchu appeared now and tried the 'hulk'routine itd be considered dismal and embarassing. Yet go back 30 years and one charasmatic enormous steroid dude made it the greatest wrestling gimmic.

Overall i think saturation and exposure has played a massive part + the lack of 'paying dues in others feds to hine things'.

I dont think its any coincidence that CM Punk, one of the biggest stars in recent years honed his craft on indies for 10 years before. In many ways its how it used to be done!

• Paid Members

I don't think Punk did hone his craft on the indies, not wrestling-wise anyway. He was as big a spot-monkey you'd ever find. It's obvious in his work in WWE - it's very different to his indie work. No Pepsi Plunge, no Punk-handle Driver, no Welcome To Chicago MF, no Pepsi Twist, no Shining Wizard. It's clear to me that he became the worker he did in developmental.

If there was anything he honed outside WWE, it was his character and mike work.

• Paid Members

Punk was signed to WWE within five years of starting his professional career too, he had a faster route to the big league than the vast majority of guys that make it there from the independent circuit. He was a long way from having honed his craft when he joined them.

Id have to disagree to be honest.

Punk had a BIG indie following before he joined WWE. If he hadnt i doubt at his size and look he'd have had the success he had. He certainly benefitted from doing ROH and others before hittinv WWe.

Incidentally Hogan was only a pro for 6 years before hw made it BIG at WWE in 84. So it can be fastracked.

• Paid Members

As much as I dislike the scrotes over on Reddit I think we should steal one of their ideas and get an Ask Me Anything done over here, just not sure who we could get to brave the UKFF mandem.

I'm sure Bowler'd be up for it if we offered him a pie. 

• Paid Members

I don't think Punk did hone his craft on the indies, not wrestling-wise anyway. He was as big a spot-monkey you'd ever find. It's obvious in his work in WWE - it's very different to his indie work. No Pepsi Plunge, no Punk-handle Driver, no Welcome To Chicago MF, no Pepsi Twist, no Shining Wizard. It's clear to me that he became the worker he did in developmental.

Not really. His late ROH work, particually the last two Joe matches and more to your point, the heel Summer Of Punk run, was also nothing like the spotty indy work he was doing in 2002.

He definitely hit his peak in his WWE run, but I can't imagine that has anything at all to do with OVW. It's not like he was suddenly this markedly better worker when he was on ECW feuding with Elijah Burke.

• Paid Members

As much as I dislike the scrotes over on Reddit I think we should steal one of their ideas and get an Ask Me Anything done over here, just not sure who we could get to brave the UKFF mandem.

If we don't pick Hulky he'll be sending in most of the questions.

and if we do pick him, he'll still be sending in most of the questions.

Archived