There are no characters!

Michael_3165

I'm surprised he's got Billy in his twitter profile picture.

Remember when Edge and Booker T were feuding over shampoo? And everyone was crying about how shit it was? That's exactly the type of thing I want Tyler Breeze doing. It speaks volumes for how little we get these days in terms of angles and storylines that I look back at Edge vs Booker T with fond memories. At least they were feuding over something.

That's an absolutely fantastic point. Tyler Breeze feuding over endorsement deals with original Adam Rose could be great fun. Or imagine Tyler's outrage that Dolph Ziggler somehow got a shampoo deal instead of him. The execution of these things is so stilted and weird now even when they do happen, though, like when Miz stole Mizdow's role in an advert and then found out it was for an embarrassing thing. The payoff of it was really lame. Maybe it was the WWE one-angle backstage shooting style.

I am enjoying what they're doing with Goldust and R-Truth at the moment, although R-Truth being the straight man seems a bit wasteful when he does the loon/idiot gimmick so well.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

"Wins and losses don't count." Fucking hell. We've all been complaining for months that the matches they're having on TV are pointless, but now it's being spelled out for us by WWE employees. No wonder it's going to hell.

If A.J. loses to Jericho next week and effectively joins the 50/50 Club after two weeks on the roster, I might just jack in watching it til actual Mania.

• Paid Members

I find it funny how Road Dogg, who bitched for years that he wasnt getting pushed to the levels of the Rock (the fucking Rock!), is now saying "it doesnt matter if you lose." When Road Dogg became a jobber to the semi-stars in 2000, I wonder if he thought he was still as over as he was 18 months earlier when he was getting pin falls wins against the Road Warriors and Cactus Jack and Terry Funk. How can your character get over if people dont believe in you?

• Paid Members

I'm going to play my "Steve Austin" card once again. Steve Austin, the biggest star the company made in the last 20 years, became a star because nobody beat him. He didn't lose matches, so people never once had chance to think of him as a loser. In the 16 months between his pinfall loss to Bret Hart at Survivors 96 and him winning the belt at WrestleMania XIV, nobody pinned him clean on TV. Not once. He spent 1997 getting in the ring with Bret, with Shawn Michaels, with The Undertaker.... none of them were permitted to pin him clean on TV.

"Wins and losses don't count" is why you lose the ability to make anyone look special.

• Paid Members

It is pretty shocking to see somebody like Road Dogg saying stuff like that. I get that he might look back on his own career and recognise that he was way over for all the stuff he did on his way to the ring, rather than what he ever did inside it, but he must understand that he was just a supporting character to the fantastic cast of actual stars during the Attitude Era. Wrestling booking really isn't rocket science, so for WWE writers to have the attitude that losses don't matter in 2016, with decades worth of historical evidence to the contrary behind us, is absolutely baffling.

• Paid Members

It's one thing to be smiling politely and nodding your head when you're sat across the table from Vince in a booking meeting, but regurgitating his philosophies to random Twitter followers in your own time would seem really weird unless it's actually how you felt too.

Does Vince even think that wins and losses don't really matter? Would the likes of Hogan, Bret, Shawn and Austin have ended up in club 50/50 if they weren't paranoid, self-serving fuckers that would cry if asked to do the job? Is the onus on Kevin Owens to tell them to get fucked if they think he's losing to Dolph Ziggler, and on Roman Reigns to tell them getting screwed out of the title 100 times isn't going to make him an Internet darling?

I suspect that Road Dogg simply uses it the way Vince does, as a bullshit line to avoid further booking decision discussions.

I don't think it's the lack of characters, it's the lack of development of them that's the problem. Cena is the obvious example but, for example, I don't know any more about Roman Reigns than I did when he was in The Shield. Why does Dolph Ziggler now look like a member of Twisted Sister? Who the hell knows?

The reason that Daniel Bryan was so over is that he kept adding nuances: the Ride of the Valkyries, the 'yes' chants, the high knee all developed for a reason. From winning Money in the Bank onwards, he was always being given fun things to do with his character and, when it came to feuding with HHH, the quasi-shoot motivation of the characters was clear. People latched onto him because they saw him evolve over time and knew why he was doing what he was doing. Although they've had less compelling angles, The New Day keep expanding and modifying their characters, adding the unicorn stampede, the trombone, the horns, aspects of their individual personalities, and it keeps them fresh.

• Paid Members

I guess this as good a thread as any to post this. I went to Preston City Wrestling last night, my first time watching them. It was a good show, highlighted by Billy Gunn, Tajiri and Mr. Anderson dicking about and trying to make each other laugh.

Some of their fans though, fucking hell. I've never felt so uncomfortable. One guy was loudly explaining the back story and real name of every wrestler who came out, then went on this massive lecture about how he's dreading Nakamura coming up to the main roster because WWE will insist on writing storylines for him. What they need to be doing, you see, is just putting him in the ring and letting him tell stories in there. It's a shame, he proclaimed louder than necessary, that WWE always insist on ruining these guys by scripting all these stories for them. I couldn't help but wonder what the fuck he'd been watching. That's not the WWE I've been watching for the past few years. Their main problem is the very opposite. All their guys do these days is partake in random, over-long, boring matches that have no story or purpose.

I found it fascinating that even in 2016, when the amount of angles and storylines is at its lowest for over a decade, there's still this narrative amongst a certain sector of smart fans that WWE is too gimmicky and story-driven. I would have thought even the thickest of fans would have realised by now. Bar some shit involving the Authority every week this is the show everyone was praying for during the Attitude Era. We've got our legit~! wrestlers having legit~! matches and it absolutely sucks balls.

It's crazy how many people share that view. This place seems to have its head screwed on a bit more. I tend not to get into Twitter arguments but I found myself on the receiving end of name calling from a 30 odd year old recently when I pulled them for complaining about how little wrestling there is in WWE and how Raw is only about promos and gimmicks.

Archived