The Orange Cordial Thread

Undefeated Steak

• Paid Members

How's everybody doing?

Got sent home from work last night for being pissed. I've done this loads of times but was finally caught. Currently waiting on a letter for my disciplinary, which isn't my first alcohol related meeting at work.

I'll be very lucky to come out of this with my job.

• Paid Members

Sorry to hear about that Wretch, sounds like a shit time. Not wanting to pry too much, but is it an aspect specific to the job that's causing the in-work drinking? Hours you are doing or something?

I think I'm pretty much at the same level as I was last time I posted in here. Struggling to limit myself to getting wankered once per week, but by and large, not being too far off. I'd love to cut down more, but frankly, I just get bored to tears.

I still drink, but I've actually been able to stop and cut down sometimes. But as Gus said, the boredom is the thing that brings me back.

Good luck, Wretch, I reckon if you start a program that'll go some way to saving your job.

Hope you manage to get sorted, Wretch. Think Keith is offering some sage advice there, committing to a programme might help you with your job but more importantly, it might be of greater help to you. As mentioned already in here, there are far more options out there than just AA, if that isn't for you.

I had a bad few days on it about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Miserable, solitary drinking. That my favourite bar pulls a great pint for £2 didn't help things.

However, I received a job offer out of the blue and started the following Monday. Haven't touched anything since other than a couple of fruit ciders the other night with a friend.

I'm really enjoying the new job, I'm doing well and have to be up at 6 each morning, so I've finally got a real reason to keep the booze in check, which is what I've needed.

Glad to see that you're starting to get control over the drink there, Keith.

• Paid Members

Pleased to hear about the job Steak. Very much in the same boat in that the early starts are helping me keep off the sauce more than I was before.

I'm posting while in the midst of a bad weekend. The referendum is over and I do plan on belting down more than I normally would. I'm confident I can stop before Monday, which I couldn't have done a year or so ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Totally and utterly fell off the cliff this eve and with red wine so I'm going to get the hangover I rightly deserve. Bastard. Next week will be better I tell yah.

Most stereotypical line ever, but I cant have one. Because one ends up fifteen in no time.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Moderators

Same here, my better half came from Liverpoool on Friday> Watched the game, and I was on the Newcy Browns today at 1, as I was delicate. Turned into about 15 and she's facing the wall, wearing knickers, and bollocking me for smoking.

"Alcoholic" is such a grey term. I was a massive drinker through university and my early 20's due to a combination of being a big bloke and being one of those lucky fuckers that didn't ever get hangovers. However, hangovers started in my late 20's alongside settling down and having a kid so it made sense to reign it in.

I also started a very senior position with a company last year and therefor cannot even chance drinking Sunday - Friday as the drink drive laws in Scotland are such that you can no longer "have a couple" at night and be legal the next morning (I'm in the car by the back of 7am).

So my family and work are my safety net, which is fantastic. However, it means when my partner and child go away for the weekend I start to get nervously excited in advance as I know what's coming. I'll leave work at around 2pm on the Friday and buy a shitload of wine, I'll then look at getting some coke and pretty much stay up drinking until about 3am Sunday morning before collapsing into bed. I then get up the next day, shower, clean the house and am settled on the couch with a newspaper and big smile on my face for when the family get home at 7pm, none the wiser.

Am I an alcoholic, I'm not sure? I guess by having "organised, pre determined" binges, I'm able to convince myself that I'm in control.

Edited by MrK

• Paid Members

Isn't that just letting off steam in the way that most people do. You don't do that unless the family go away for the weekend, or so it reads, so it's a sort of treat and release on a rare occasion. I'm not saying it's health or constructive, it's not, but I don't think it makes you an alcoholic, to my knowledge any way.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't worry too much about that MrK. That just seems like letting off a bit of steam.

I feel suitably septic. It's just so pointless. I went to see The Mikado yesterday, it's hardly the start of a sodding Hunter S Thompson novel, is it?

Then a nice Italian restaurant afterwards with a good bottle of wine. Then one bottle of wine became two. Then before I know it, it's 4AM and I'm drinking out of date Carling from the back of my fridge and attempting to buy blow. It's disgusting. Both Carling and the fact that I can't be trusted to drink more than a glass of wine without turning into Paul Gascoigne.

Edited by Gus Mears

Don't post at all nowadays bit still lurk.

Life has taken a massive downturn the last couple of months and have hit the drink hard.

My gf found out she was pregnant 6 months ago and it should have been the happiest time of our lives bit we've been arguing constantly.

She found out I'd slept with someone 6 months ago 2 days before she found out she was pregnant so the issue was never discussed and she pretended things were okay until the last month or so where she's blocked me out completely and dumped me.

As a result I've hit the drink hard. I can't drink alone in the house so tend to go to the local boozers and sink double figures of crappy fosters before getting a couple of hours crap kop and going to work.

It's a viscious cycle and I'm finding it nearly impossible to get out of.

There is an AA meeting round he corner from me Thursday which I'm hoping to go to.

I just want to be there for my son and I want her to love me again! It sucks!

• Moderators

I wouldn't worry too much about that MrK. That just seems like letting off a bit of steam.

I feel suitably septic. It's just so pointless. I went to see The Mikado yesterday, it's hardly the start of a sodding Hunter S Thompson novel, is it?

Then a nice Italian restaurant afterwards with a good bottle of wine. Then one bottle of wine became two. Then before I know it, it's 4AM and I'm drinking out of date Carling from the back of my fridge and attempting to buy blow. It's disgusting. Both Carling and the fact that I can't be trusted to drink more than a glass of wine without turning into Paul Gascoigne.

Yeah, I hear that. My impossibility to have just the one is abhorrent. Im currently at a family drink trying to hold down a coke and not be sick every time I have a fag.

• Paid Members

Same as Gus and Butch here. Although, on Friday at my new job the boss offered round some beers to everyone a few hours before we finished. Seeing as I've just started there and didn't want to seem like a weirdo, I took one. And shockingly stopped there! I was really quite pleased with myself. But I am not making the mistake of thinking that's the start of something. I will never be able to stop at one consistently.

I can completely relate to every comment thus far. For the last 3.5 years I've been having a super shitty time with a mental health issue which has meant fluctuating levels of drinking - going from nothing at all to 3 bottles of wine a night. I can completely relate to that issue of 'not being able to stop at one' - even if I wanted to.

Recently though, things have started to get easier - especially as I'm on the verge of diagnosis - so by and large my drinking has gone down quite a bit. Thinking of starting back on the gym and starting on the protein beer from now on...just not like 20 cans :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

I was pilled up on a time at a IT job due to my back being terrible. I was being shouted at being called everything under the sun until I brought out the prescription script a few days later. Good times. Hope it all go well for you.

Edited by bAzTNM#1