Hive heating

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Equating Billie Holiday with Paloma Faith (which they try to do) is so far off the mark. The former being one of the first female black artists at a time when being a female and black singer in the States made you more likely to be lynched than famous. The latter being Paloma Faith, who is best known for being thick as pig shit and singing "It's the world in onions" during the World Cup.

It's not just that she's thick as pig shit, but she pushes the idea that she's thick as pig shit. Her "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl. I'll just say something dumb about kittens" routine is surely the exact opposite of what an inspiring female role model should be.

Even before Faith's face turns up, the idea of categorizing Billie Holiday and Nadia Comaneci as "women who rock" is just cringeworthy.

• Paid Members

The Current Tesco adverts with that 30 year old teenager are the worst things I have ever seen.

The "agency" responsible should hang it's head.

Good call. Fuck me, those Tesco ads are the drizzling shits. Horrifically unfunny. Ben Miller's better than that.

My pet peeve is adverts in which they give cats and dogs old people's voices. Why do they all do this? Nobody imagines that their dog would talk like a dying bastard.

The Current Tesco adverts with that 30 year old teenager are the worst things I have ever seen.

The "agency" responsible should hang it's head.

Good call. Fuck me, those Tesco ads are the drizzling shits. Horrifically unfunny. Ben Miller's better than that.

My pet peeve is adverts in which they give cats and dogs old people's voices. Why do they all do this? Nobody imagines that their dog would talk like a dying bastard.

You're dead wrong. I used to have conversations with my lhasa apsa dog, giving him the Paul Whitehouse 'very, very drunk' voice. I imagined him to wear a monocle and braces if he were in human form....and this was until he died two or three years back.

• Paid Members

The Betting Men.

featured.jpg

If I ever become a Betting Man, then I hope I get hit by a bus.

First there is The Professor, who appears in an advert with his moderately attractive girlfriend. Instead of, you know, talking to her, The Prof. instead spends his time attempting to work out if Derek Pringle is going to get five-for in the next England test. He's the intelligent one in the group. Twat.

Generous John 'first in the bar, last in the cab' (?????). His gimmick is that he's black, like Ernie Ladd in the 70's. Because Ladbrookes wants to show that it welcomes sad, middle aged men from all ethnic backgrounds. John does get some rare 'Betting Men Cool Points' however, as he is seen at one point with a box of chips. I'm a fan of chips. This is the level which constitutes as cool for a Betting Man.

Then we have Mr.Brightside. He does Neil's dance off the Inbetweener's. Everybody looks at him like he's a plebeian. TOP BANTER!!!!

Gut Truster is a corpulent shortarse who tries to get hot tips at the racetrack by wanking off horses. Because "When you know, you know, you know?" (no, I don't).

Finally, the forgotten betting man who has a name like 'Daredevil' or something. He tries to do Rooney's bicycle kick on the 5 a side pitch and breaks his collarbone. Good.

I thought you were supposed to aspire to be like people in adverts? Or that they were meant to show what a cool good or service they were in possession of. WHY WOULD I WANT TO BE LIKE ANY OF THESE PEOPLE? They are all about 30, all single, all skint and all thick. The Professor is the coolest one out of the group, as he is at least seen with another human being who isn't one of the Betting Men. This ad campaign has now been going on for 3 FUCKING YEARS!!!

Edited by Gus Mears