Hive heating

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

As for Lydon, he didn't sell out, he said from day one he was all about the money.

I'm still loathe to absolve him. Admitting you're doing it for money isn't always enough if the advert is really shit. I of course come at this from the position of having turned down wheelbarrows full of money by Anchor on a frequent basis.

I was more annoyed by John Cooper-Clarke selling chips. Even if smack is really expensive, what with inflation.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

At least JCC's chips poem was half decent.

Surprising amounts of Hollywood stars selling themselves out to shill absolutely shite products these days. People you know aren't short of a bob or two, so you really wonder why they bother.

Who here has seen Schwarzenegger's head shouting about PPI claims? Fuck me, it's THE WORST!

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Who here has seen Schwarzenegger's head shouting about PPI claims? Fuck me, it's THE WORST!

Tragic. There's actually one bit of it that tickles me, towards the end the head mumbles a little jingle ending in PPI. If they used just that bit and if it was about something better than PPI, it would just be a bit shit and much shorter. Unfortunately it's not how adverts work. The funniest bit is the concept:

"Quick, for god sake hurry up, ALL of you people who have not claimed yet need to hurry the hell up, you only have 2 entire years to make a claim AAHHHHH!!"

Honestly, anyone who hasn't made a claim yet shouldn't be allowed to do so. If you haven't heard of PP fucking I claims by now then tough. We now have to endure the above advert for another 24 months.

• Paid Members
Just now, PunkStep said:

Just got to the office, two guys are huddled around a mobile laughing hysterically at the He-Man & Skeletor Dirty Dancing advert.

Do you condone this type of behaviour, Arch?? Because I'm considering filing a grievance with HR!

I can visualise the kind of middle of the road twats you're talking about, god, they are the reason the world is fucked.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

I was more annoyed by John Cooper-Clarke selling chips. Even if smack is really expensive, what with inflation.

Johnny Clarke has previous, though - he was selling Sugar Puffs and snazzy badges back in the day. And he's not released a book or an album in bloody decades, he needs to keep the wolf from the door somehow.

There's a story that he was asked, "what were you on when you did that advert for Sugar Puffs?!", and he replied, "about a hundred quid an hour, mate".

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

And he's not released a book or an album in bloody decades, he needs to keep the wolf from the door somehow.

He released an album with Hugh Cornwell the other year. It was bang average and the lead single was a cover of MacArthur Park with JCC singing. Actually got to 34 in the charts, which should have provided a few weeks worth of class A drugs. 

He's also constantly on tour! Saw a plainly battered Cooper-Clarke the other year in Bristol, wobbling around and reciting something that may have at one point been poetry. 

Tying it back to adverts, one of the supports was Mike Barry (Mike Garry? Something like that). He was absolutely shit and is now the bloke doing a poem in a Nationwide commercial. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I actually quite liked the album with Hugh Cornwell, though MacArthur Park was one of the weaker tracks. The man can do no wrong in my eyes, though. I've seen him live a few times, and last time round he needed to be basically lifted up two small steps by his fairly terrifying manager to get on stage.

• Paid Members

Aye, it was alright as an album. About as good as you can realistically expect anything starring John Cooper-Clarke and Hugh Cornwell to be in 2016. But I bought it due to reputation and not love of the music inside. 

Not wrong on the appearance. He looks more and more decomposed each time I see him. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I got a photo him once, which I occasionally revisit whenever I want to feel good about myself. The only man alive who can make me look comparatively buff.

I put my arm around him, and it just kept going before I made any contact with his waist. He was more parka than man. His waist was about the width of my forearm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I used to work for Nationwide and I despise their ads at the best of times, but these are terrible. Complete vomit, transparent attempts to buy that warm fuzzy "hearts and minds" shite that gets drilled into the staff in terms of how they attempt to brainwash the consumer into the bank being something you bloody love, as opposed to a simple necessity.

Not the worst, mind. When they put the cash down just before the crunch to get the Little Britain pair roped in, they were utterly abysmal. Best of all the company were so happy with them, they sent a DVD to every branch in the network so the staff could watch the ads before they started airing on TV. I took ours home to show the ex and I only received a one word review : "Pathetic."