Alan Rickman dead

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Also, this seems as good as time any to admit I like Galaxy Quest and will be rewatching it in light of this news.

Nothing wrong with that.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of scorn for admitting that after Die Hard my thoughts turned next to Dogma.

Sad news, he was truly a gift.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, this seems as good as time any to admit I like Galaxy Quest and will be rewatching it in light of this news.

Nothing wrong with that.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of scorn for admitting that after Die Hard my thoughts turned next to Dogma.

Sad news, he was truly a gift.

"The little stoners got a point" still gets me. 

Most of us in Ireland around my age were raised on a Michael Collins VHS in school on Friday when the teachers got bored. Most people will go for Snape and Hans but there's a bizarre little eulogizing of him as Eamon DeValera, leader of the Irish free state, on my Facebook feed right now :(. 

• Paid Members

Most of us in Ireland around my age were raised on a Michael Collins VHS in school on Friday when the teachers got bored. Most people will go for Snape and Hans but there's a bizarre little eulogizing of him as Eamon DeValera, leader of the Irish free state, on my Facebook feed right now :(. 

That's actually my favourite of all the roles he's played. 

I got to meet him once - I mentioned that he'd been in one of my favourite ever films, at which he looked warily at me and said: "Which one?" When I told him "Michaels Collins", he let out this huge sigh of relief and said "Thank god, I thought you were going to say 'Die Hard'."

We got to chatting about the stuff surrounding Collins and DeValera, and overall views of revolutionary history around the world. Really nice guy, very intelligent and knowledgeable.

This is overall a shit year already. RIP Alan Rickman.

EDIT: A friend has just reminded me on FB about one of my favourite things he ever did - being the "Strolling Player" who MC-ed Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells II".

Archived