Not so common sports you play

Herne's Son

So I can imagine most people on here being wrestling fans may have tried some form of martial art and nearly everyone in the UK has joined a football team at some point, but it's a new year and I am interested in hearing what sports people play that aren't so common.

I'm looking for some new things to try in 2016 so can anyone share their experience of playing sports which don't involve the gym or running. Any fishing fans on here? Chess players? Does anyone enjoy bowling, table tennis or badminton?

How about dancing? Is that considered a sport? Please share.

• Moderators

Fishing's decent - try that. My families from a fishing tradtion. My grandfather actually wrote a terrible book on fishing that I don't think anyone bought. I tend to go at night, take some beers, radio 2, and just relax. It's great fun.

Chess ain't no sport though, it's just Draughts for arseholes.

• Paid Members

My grandfather actually wrote a terrible book on fishing that I don't think anyone bought. 

tumblr_o0fzo8HjzQ1qf9csoo1_400.gif

A lad I went to publishing school with had a bet on with some mates that he'd become an England international at something — he had all his eggs in the Korfball (sic?) basket, but I don't think he made it. Also, going to Bangor university, there was a weird, thriving Octopush community — I played once. It was shite, but a lot of the lads I knew loved it, and probably played at international level.

EDIT — Badminton is a blinding sport. I'm fat and sedentary nowadays, but that's mainly because I can't find an affordable place to play badminton, or anything that takes it seriously enough. Used to play 3-4 times a week.

Fishing's decent - try that. My families from a fishing tradtion. My grandfather actually wrote a terrible book on fishing that I don't think anyone bought. I tend to go at night, take some beers, radio 2, and just relax. It's great fun.

Chess ain't no sport though, it's just Draughts for arseholes.

Would you consider fishing expensive? Had some friends when I was younger spend quite a lot on equipment but I imagine it can be done on the cheap.

• Paid Members

Fishing's not a sport, it's sitting with added fish death.

I did cycle speedway in my youth, that's about as niche as it comes. I've heard some men play hockey but that can't be right, can it?

I used to play football and made lots of friends doing it. An old friend who didn't asked if taking up a sport might help him do the same. I said of course it would, thinking he'd do football, rugby, that sort of thing... Fucking fencing.

Any type of cycling/mountain biking is as good a sport as any to take up. Costs barely anything after your initial setup and you can do it solo or socially. Keeps you fit, you're outside and you can do it in all weathers. Hardly uncommon of course but it's worth thinking about if you're looking for a new sport.

As far as not so common sports go, ultimate frisbee seems to be getting popular, at least in the States. We used to play with similar rules years ago before we knew it was a thing and it was great fun. YouTube videos of ultimate frisbee are oddly entertaining.

Very keen fisherman here. Going out tomorrow in fact.

Fishing is only as expensive as you make it. I have spent quite a bit on equipment over the last 18 months since I really started getting back in to it. But nothing compared to how much other people will pay. A friend of mine must have spent minimum of £1500 within the last year on equipment. I have pretty much the same gear (but different brands) but have only spent in the region of £300 - £400. Like in any walk of life, some people are brand whores or just want the most expensive kit because, in their mind, it must be better. But the truth is he doesn't do any better than me, if at all. A good days fishing is down to skill and knowledge alone, not how much you pay for the equipment.

If you're only starting out then my advice would be to firstly figure out what fish you're targeting, then you need to decide on what method would suit you best.

I could talk about fishing all day. PM me if you want any advice or tips.

I've played a 'sport' which i don't think alot will of heard of, Aunt Sally , i'm pretty sure it's an Oxfordshire/parts of Gloucestershire game, basically trying to knock the a wooden doll from a platform by chucking lumps of wood at it

It's a pretty serious business in Oxford, leagues in the local paper etc, chaps bringing their own sticks, every match has a Beer leg that allows useless and drunk idiots like myself to have a go

index_photo_2.jpg

I've played a 'sport' which i don't think alot will of heard of, Aunt Sally , i'm pretty sure it's an Oxfordshire/parts of Gloucestershire game, basically trying to knock the a wooden doll from a platform by chucking lumps of wood at it

It's a pretty serious business in Oxford, leagues in the local paper etc, chaps bringing their own sticks, every match has a Beer leg that allows useless and drunk idiots like myself to have a go

index_photo_2.jpg

Is that the Bossman officiating?

I played UK rules dodgeball at uni, for the Men's national and university champions no less (albeit in the second string, I'm not proclaiming to have been much good!) and still sometimes turn out for exhibitions and open tournaments with a few of the old boys, some of whom have played at international level.

The sport itself and the social scene you get with it being a niche sport is a great crack, although some of the people who take it so seriously their lives seem to revolve around it can be off-putting, not unlike the worst stereotypical wrestling fan I suppose.

Archived