UFC: Fuck Knows

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

yeh, i hear all of that but i just think in a fight where neither man is affected by the altitude is Cain's all day. Werdum has means to win ut i think Cain's pressure and persistent output will just overwhelm him. If Cain's body is at 100% and he's still in the kind of fight shape he was prior to the Werdum loss i think we'll see a typical Cain performance.

I'm not taking anything away from Werdum and his win in the first fight though. Both guys had to deal with the same circumstances and Werdum was the one who dealt with them best and he found a way to win, all credit goes to him.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Jim - I want Werdum to win as well. I find him more likeable and his style is great to watch now. It wasn't always that way, as we've covered earlier in this thread, he was very much partial to having duds earlier in his career. But he's much more a complete fighter these days and a threat in different ways.

I like Cain a lot as well but I love seeing fighters win who weren't supposed to like Werdum and RDA over the last couple of years. Even when it's at the expense of one of my favourites like the Holm vs Rousey upset. Results like that make MMA so much fun to follow. And I want to see Werdum's run continue a bit. He's come a long way and seems like a top bloke. It'd be a shame to see his reign end before it gets going.

But saying that, if Cain wins I won't be upset. Then they're 1-1 and we get a third fight. If they're anything like the first one I'm more than happy with that.

• Paid Members

I want Werdum to win for the very simple reason that there are just more fights for him. Cain's pretty much cleared out his division, whereas Werdum has new challengers to face and losses to avenge. It's just more interesting.

I want Werdum to win for the very simple reason that there are just more fights for him. Cain's pretty much cleared out his division, whereas Werdum has new challengers to face and losses to avenge. It's just more interesting.

I think there's still quite a few of the chasing pack that Cain hasn't faced yet - Miocic, Overeem, Arlovski, Brown and Barnett off the top of my head. 

• Paid Members

yeh, Carbomb that statement is pretty inaccurate. The only guys Cain's fought that are currently top 10 heavyweights are JDS and Ben Rothwell and id pretty much scratch off the Rothwell fight, that was 7 years ago.

• Paid Members

True, but how many of those guys are likely to get a title shot? I was looking forward to Barnett facing Cain, and he got knocked off by Browne, and Browne hasn't exactly got himself into title contention. Until his last fight, I would've said Arlovski might face him, but now it seems like the only people who look like getting a shot at either Werdum or (if he gets the belt back) Cain are Miocic and Overeem - and Reem only relatively recently.

I know that, technically, there are loads of challengers, but given the match-making that's gone on the past few years, i.e Cain almost exclusively facing Bigfoot and JDS, it didn't seem like the UFC were planning on having him challenged by anyone new any time soon.

Of course, if I'm wrong, I happily bow to you guys' knowledge in this department.

• Paid Members

The injury and subsequent time off has helped revive a division that Velasquez most certainly was on his way to cleaning out. I remember us all having discussions a couple of years ago about never ending Velasquez v JDS matches, where JDS turns up to get more brain damage. The future looked rather dull, in truth.

However, Velasquez not being about was a bit of a weird blessing for fans. During that time perennial Velasquez opponents JDS/Bigfoot have dropped off massively, while Werdum has thrived, Miocic has vastly improved and an Overeem has recaptured some of his PED form.

• Paid Members

To be honest, I'm not particularly happy that they booked the rematch straight away. Was hoping they would at least give Werdum a chance to do a bit of clearing out as well. What happens if Velasquez wins? Whom does he face? Hunt is close to retirement, and he's facing Mir next anyway, who isn't going to fight for the title any time soon either. Struve, Mitrione, Nelson - got to be out of the question? Is there anyone else whom Cain hasn't faced that isn't just making up the numbers? Rosholt?

It strikes me that the division could immediately be freshened up if Cormier were to join it. We know he can compete. And I daresay if Jones comes back and does well, he'll either have to move up or down to get some superfights.

EDIT: Miocic. It's got to be him next, surely?

• Paid Members

There's 2 fighters Carbomb, either Miocic as you say or Overeem.

I actually think Overeem is being overlooked by many, especially considering he now trains at Jackson's. He's looked great the past few fights. I think to virtually avoid being hit by JDS is an achievement in its own right.

• Paid Members

Yeah, you're right about Reem. Guess I overlooked him because I just don't like him. But as you say he has been impressive.

I think maybe the other reason I want Werdum to win is because he seems less injury-prone than Cain, which isn't saying much. There seem to be so many long gaps between HW title fights, especially in comparison to the lower weights.

• Paid Members

the Heavyweight Division traditionally is pretty stale, it's been ages since a real killer heavyweight burst on the scene, it's been the same top 10 seemingly forever. We need another Todd Duffee type case.

• Paid Members

What happens if Velasquez wins? Whom does he face?

Probably straight into the rubber match with Werdum.

It should be Miocic or Overeem but they do love them some immediate rematches these days.

We need another Todd Duffee type case.

A musclebound, chinny, one trick pony who just flails his overly pumped up arms about? Duffee was never much cop. He just looked like he should be. He never beat anyone of note and even 2015 Frank Mir knocked him spark out.

What we need is another Cain Velasquez but one who doesn't destroy his body in the gym. Preferably he'd have more personality as well, and wouldn't have a 'my dad stacked lettuces all day' backstory. But basically, a new Cain minus the overtraining.

I think Overeem should get the next crack after Werdum vs Cain 2. I think his recent streak has been slightly more impressive than Miocic's and the JDS performance, despite JDS seeming shot to bits, was a better win than any of Stipe's. Plus he's more marketable. Plus he's renegotiating his contract, wouldn't hurt to throw him a title shot shaped bone.

I'd do Miocic vs the winner of Barnett/Rothwell.

• Paid Members

I wonder where JDS goes from here.

I'd honestly like to see him retire. He's taken way more abuse over the last few years than most and it's only downhill from here. He's unfortunately following in the footsteps of his old pal Big Nog. And at 31 years old, I can't see him hanging the gloves up anytime soon. That's the scariest thing. At least by the time Nog started really going downhill he'd had a long career and accomplished a shitload, he still had to be strong armed into calling it a career but he saw sense in the end. JDS though, he's 31 and holds quick KO wins over the two men who are fighting for the title. Never mind that those wins are five and eight years ago respectively this year, or that JDS himself has diminished a lot since those wins, you know he'll see that as proof he can still get back on top. If you're JDS you're probably thinking 'I'm still young enough, I've already beat most of these cunts once, why should I retire?'

I genuinely don't know what you do with him at this point. He's still probably dangerous enough that if you put him against a rising contender he'll beat them. If you put him against a top guy he'll take even more punishment. And the rest are rematches. If Cain wins the title back then Cain vs JDS IV is a hard sell. It just seems like all the roads are blocked for JDS at heavyweight but if he doesn't want to retire he'll just keep taking fights that don't move him anywhere but closer to brain damage. It's fucking depressing as a fan of his. He's basically the heavyweight Shogun now.

I wonder if JDS could've made 205 at any point. It sounds mad and he probably couldn't. Nor would I even really want him to try because big weight cuts are fucking stupid. But I wonder if he'd leaned out instead of bulking up more after the Cain losses, could he have made 205 and how would he have done there? I don't know if it would ever have been a realistic option, it definitely isn't now he's all bloated and slow and punchy, but JDS vs Gustafsson or Rumble or Jones would've been big fights when JDS was still in top form.

I'm guessing JDS fights Travis Browne next. In an attempt to build up Browne as a contender again. Problem is I'm about 50/50 on it. I can see JDS beating him. Then where does that leave either of them? JDS is in no man's land and Browne just lost to him.

So yeah, I see heavyweight shaping up like this over the next few months...

Werdum vs Cain 2

Nelson vs Rosholt

Barnett vs Rothwell

Hunt vs Mir

Werdum/Cain winner vs Overeem

Barnett/Rothwell winner vs Miocic

JDS vs Browne

Erm, I dunno...Struve vs Bigfoot?

Archived