Star Wars The Force Awakens thoughts/reviews

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

I think a film this big needs it's on thread. Plus it stops the chance of a spoiler slipping through in the normal film thread.

I saw it this morning and I loved it. It just felt like proper Star Wars. There was so much energy and fun. Plot wise it's basically A New Hope but the new characters are fantastic. Daisy Ridley as Rey is just a real find. Loved her. I was expecting Kylo Ren to be an intense badass but he's really more of a complete psychopath just barely holding it together which is much more interesting. With all the media hype I was expecting more of a role for Captain Phasma but I'm presuming her character is fleshed out in the next one perhaps. Commander Snoke's design was a bit bland though. Design wise everything was top notch and the film looked incredible. I saw Han's death coming a mile away but I was still really effected by it. Ford looked like he was having a blast.

It's not perfect but I had a massive smile on my face the whole time. I can't wait for the next one. More detailed thoguhts later when I've calmed down a bit.

• Paid Members

I haven't seen it yet but it's interesting that you say it's basically A New Hope. I rewatched that a couple weeks ago and it seemed so ropy to me. I hadn't watched it in years. For sure the weakest of the original trilogy. Anyway, looking forward to getting to see the new film.

Just seen it and enjoyed it also (although should have maybe watched the other films to remind myself of a few things). It felt a lot like it was setting up the following films but thats to be expected what with new characters, new stories etc.

Also love JJ Abrams always finds fresh actors/actresses with his work, Finn/Rey did themselves proud with this. 

• Paid Members

It was great and wonderfully emotional but

killing Han Solo has fucking horrified me to the point where I can't even have a pump - or a peddle - without thinking about it. It really is haunting me these last couple days.

So yeah, unlike a lot of the internet, I don't wish Abrams any harm or anything like that, but a karmic dose of eczema on his helmet for a week will suffice.

Saw it at midnight last night then again this afternoon. After sleeping on it I was pretty sure how I felt about it, and today's viewing confirmed my thoughts. It's a good modern day blockbuster... which fucking crushed me. For as bad as the prequels were, at least they told their own stories and for the most part felt like Star Wars. This felt like a remake of A New Hope but within the original continuity, and more often than not didn't feel like Star Wars to me. I guess it's a fault of the Hollywood system more than anything, where things like this are made to be as safe as possible because they don't make films to make films anymore, merely to make money, getting a good film is a bonus. Don't get me wrong, this is absolutely a good film... it just needed to be great.

• Paid Members

I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan, but I thought it was a good film. All the new main characters were brilliant, I thought. All added something and delivered enough charm to make it a quick few hours.

For me, it was the Han Solo show, though. As somebody said above, Ford seemed to be loving every second of it and the moment he came on screen the film just sky rocketed in quality. A fitting finale for the best character in Star Wars. You can see his demise coming a mile away, but it's shocking nonetheless, mainly because you think to yourself "they'll surely not kill off Han bloody Solo?!". Like Scott, it has sort of ruined my night seeing Han Solo getting a People's Elbow after charming me all over again.

It opens up all manner of possibilities and delivers a feeling that nobody is safe in the reboot. It also does a grand job adding another evil layer to Kylo Ren - I quite liked that he is a bastard in training in this.

While there is some nitpicking to be done with plot holes etc, it was a fun couple of hours. I quite liked that they've left so many questions and possibilities down the road.

• Paid Members

Some wanker came out the screening before shouting out (highlight to see)

Han Solo Dies, Han solo Dies! which I had guessed anyway

However, and I know people say it is too similar to ANH (which I get) but it is the most beautifully shot, best acted and best written of the lot and I loved it for that

3EA3C197-0386-4B25-A995-E3AB42A2E25F_zps

"Wow! Who'd have thought that..."

Just got out from seeing it myself. And while I did enjoy it immensely, I wasn't blown away by it. There was plenty enjoy with and the new leads were great in their roles, but I'd struggle to give it five stars. My only major gripe with it was that they were too happy for Kylo Ren to take his mask off. I know from seeing the trailers that it was going to be off, but you could have still not shown his face, I just feel like they humanised him far too quickly

But it's certainly a strong start to what will hopefully be a great trilogy

Archived