Sky - "believe in better"?

martinQblank

Vent time

This last year I have experienced repeated poor customer service from Sky, I was wondering if I am in the minority or whether they are just so arrogant / going down hill.

* In January I was out of contract so rang to see what they could offer, then spiralled into a huge complaint. I was hung up, heard two co workers discuss their sex life, spoke to the most rude and obnoxious person I have ever had the misfortune to speak to in a customer service role in my life before finally getting to speak to a human after 15+ phone calls! They resolved it but in the end but what a hoopla!

Fast forward to this week, I am out of contract again and my router is on the blink. I order a replacement . 3 - 5 days they say. Then nothing

I ring up and nothing has been ordered, I ask about deals and spent 40 mins being put on hold, being given at least 12 prices and leaving me totally confused. I ring back to be spoken to like a piece of shit for no reason (I had only passed DPA!) so cancelled and wrote to head office.

After there complaints team finally rang they couldn't be less helpful. Advising me to go to another provider and the deals I had previously were "too rich" and that I had been given "too much" and that they were "a luxury not a charity" I hadn't even asked for a deal by the way just wanted my account reviewed! I spoke again to cancellations who did actually do a decent job, sorted something out. At the end of the call someone made a loud pretend vomiting noise down the phone, laughed and hung up.

I rang straight back and instead of apologies or even any form of shock at this behaviour the manager I spoke to tried to sell me multi room And couldn't understand when I said I wasn't interested.

Overall, I spend £70+ a month with these jokers and may want some basic level of customer service. I am pretty sure that they weren't always this bad.

I have always got on well with Sky. Broadband is the best that can be offered in my neck of the woods and when I had a minor issue they sent someone out free or charge to fix everything. Sky itself can be debatable value wise especially with less football, its quite embarrassing when all they have on Sky Sports 5 is dutch football and very little else and I'm sure I heard they have lost spanish football too?

Add to that losing Neville (probably the best pundit they've had since football began in 1992) and its definitely lost its invincibility, its still better than anything BT Sport can conjure up. Sky have always been world class with its football presentation, just a shame all the good football has been lost to BT, god forbid what would happen if Martin Tyler handed in a transfer request and joined BT. 

That's fucking shocking for employees of a big company like Sky to act.  I must admit everytime I've contacted their customer service I've always spoke to someone that's been polite. Trouble with Sky these days too many people are jumping on the bandwagon and calling them up pretending to cancel just to get the guaranteed 50% off any TV bundle deal.  And the people that work in their call centres are aware of this so they treat every customer like they're some tight fucker wanting their monthly bill slashed in half.

• Paid Members

Their call centres are outsourced to any old company. Back in my telesales days the company had 2/3 of the office doing call centre work for Sky, and they were every bit as shit as Martin's complaining about. They didn't give a shit though, because the supervisor didn't give a shit, and the manager was too busy internet shopping for handbags. The only occasion I can remember the supervisor pulling someone aside was when he gave a customer the address of the office and told him to come down for a fight.

• Paid Members

I genuinely thought the guy I spoke to to cancel was going to cry on the phone. Virgin had the same package for £20 a month less and £70 cashback. He just kept repeating that he couldn't understand how Virgin could make money on that. As if I was remotely bothered about their profit margins. He also tried to convince me to give their support team "another chance" to fix my internet issues, despite them already having replaced the hub four times. Fair play to him for trying, I suppose.

They were pretty bad the whole time I was with them, actually. I once accepted an online offer to upgrade my TV package for £2.50 a month, and they put it up by something totally random (like £3.65). It was still a good deal, and not worth cancelling over, but it was just a bit weird. I also had to chase them for the outstanding balance on my account after I left.

In saying that they'll never be as bad as HSBC. They wouldn't let me set security questions on my account, because I couldn't answer the security questions (that weren't) on my account.  :duh:

HSBC are a strange one. On one hand you feel they are secure what with the multiple passwords and security and the fraud team contacting you seconds after a big transactions, but on the other hand they over do things to the point where everytime you make a big purchase you feel that your card could be blocked, likewise things such as loans they look at your account throughly and if something doesn't appeal to them they will be funny about it (e.g. "We have noticed you have placed £20 on online betting and have concerns about your loan"). 

Maybe this thread should be about consumer complaints. 

HSBC are a strange one. On one hand you feel they are secure what with the multiple passwords and security and the fraud team contacting you seconds after a big transactions, but on the other hand they over do things to the point where everytime you make a big purchase you feel that your card could be blocked, likewise things such as loans they look at your account throughly and if something doesn't appeal to them they will be funny about it (e.g. "We have noticed you have placed £20 on online betting and have concerns about your loan"). 

Maybe this thread should be about consumer complaints. 

One time my card was blocked, so I rang up HSBC's support.

I was told that there were some suspicious transactions on the account. Apparently every month, at the same time of the month, I was paying money to some company called "Ot", and they suspected someone had setup a fraudulent direct debit.

"Ot"? I looked at my statements and couldn't see what they were on about, so I asked them how "ot" was spelt.

"Hang on sir... it's spelt.... O and 2. O2 sir."

*Head hits table*.

• Moderators

I've had shit times dealing with sky, but they've always escalated it to the Scottish call center, where they will solve all issues, and offer the earth to try to retain your business

Yeah, they've got a bunch of different call centres of varying degrees of quality, but the guys in Glasgow are really decent. I was setting up another call centre for a different company but with the same call centre supplier and in the same building as them last year, and their operation was pretty slick.

• Paid Members

Re : card fraud prevention.

Me and two mates once each ordered a £19.99 Dominos fat bastard meal each in the midst of a terrible hangover and Nationwide (my employer at the time) blocked the credit card payment and gave me a ring immediately. They thought it was suspicious that I was trying to buy £60 worth of pizza on a Sunday morning.

I'm not going to lie, I struggled with that one. Putting ill-gotten gains onto a credit card, buying pizza, then selling that pizza on for cash, would have to be the worst money-laundering scheme of all time.

• Paid Members

I find that whenever you call Sky there are 2 departments. One of them does not give the tiniest shit about anything you want to talk to them about. They will be incredibly rude and do nothing at all for you. The second department can't be more helpful. It's a lottery as to which department you get put through to.

HSBC fraud prevention also goes 2 ways. They once froze my account and rang me because someone tried to transfer 3 and a half grand out of my business account to a bank in Columbia. That is the kind of vigilance you would expect. That is definitely suspicious and it wasn't me doing it. However they also froze my bank account and rang me while I was trying to place an advert for a job on Jobsite, claiming that using a business debit card to place an advert was suspicious. Slightly overly vigilant there.

The worst customer service I have had is from a supplier we use. They are called Ampulla and they sell all sorts of plastic products, we buy bottles and jars from them. I have to say that the price of them is great, cheaper than everywhere else, and the product itself is good quality, but if you have to speak to them on the phone you had best be prepared to be talked to like an

absolute piece of shit. Everything is to much trouble. I once rang to ask why they had sent 500 bottles and no tops for them, there reply was "Because they haven't come in yet. We sent the bottles because you said you needed them urgently". When I pointed out the bottles were no use without the tops and asked when I would get them, the answer was "2 fucking weeks if you are lucky" and then they put the phone down. That right there is customer service at its finest.

• Paid Members

As a BT Employee I get free BT TV (I have to pay for the landline number mind). I was paying £40 a month to sky and while I liked having Sky 1 and Sky Atlantic, they were the only channels I thought I would miss. I was right. On BT I have Comedy Central, Disney/Nick channels for the kids, plus BT Sport for less then I was paying for sky. Throw in Netflix as well and best decision I made, and the money is going in Rupert's pocket! 

Sky's customer service (other then the above mentioned Scottish call centre) is shite. Don't miss it at all. The amount they charge is obscene but people feel there is no alternative once you get sucked in. There is especially now with EE, Talk Talk and the old hand Virgin (where available)

Archived