Fixing the WWF in 1995

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

Some awesome stuff in this thread B-) Raid, I'm gonna do my damndest to get as much of that in as I can when we record tomorrow night...

The most important bits are the bits about Doink and Sunny.

Can't really top what Air Raid has put forward in this, so impossible to try.

But for what it's worth the major points I would raise...

- Heel turn for Razor, and a main even run with Diesel.

- Stop fucking about with Bret. He shouldn't have been anywhere near Pirates and Dentists and all that bollocks.

- Instead of feeding Diesel fat shit idiots, give him smaller, more vibrant workers to bounce around off him.

I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/6yfk8e/SCGRadio64-FixingTheWWFin1995.mp3

Join us as we attempt to Fix the WWF in 1995! Starting on January 1st, the panel goes through all the pitfalls that faced the company in arguably its worst ever year, and attempt to rebook the company for greater success, planning all the major shows and feuds. We talk about a struggle to find a champion, the lack of hot heels, bad gimmicks and worse decisions. A really fun show this week, check it out and let us know what you think!

• Paid Members

Listened to this yesterday, perfect hangover listening. Really enjoyed it, 1995 was the year we got Sky so I remember everything crystal clearly. Thanks for sharing the important bits of the Raid take. Glad we had a few things in common... Luger heel turn, Hunter with DiBiase. Also sounds like you embraced the drinking game idea. I know it's not to everyone's taste but the self-references to previous podcasts always make me chuckle.... Shane Douglas, HA HA HA!

Incidentally, I think your Kid & Bomb vs Yokozuna & Kwang idea could have fun and less "dregs" than you think..... if they were only given 5 minutes, Kid got to do a dive, and Bomb was allowed to slam Yoko. Nice easy pops. Fun opener. Lawler, Jarrett and Roadie as a three-piece would have been loads of fun too.

• Paid Members

Another really good listen. I enjoyed the couple of bits where it all went to shit because it was just so hard to think of someone to fill a gap. The discussion about who would drop the tag belts was particularly amusing. You could hear the brains racking and the increasing desperation.

I think overall you guys came up with a much better year and weren't unrealistic in the way you went about it. Not allowing Chase to use Chris Benoit was interesting. I think it should have been allowed personally. Similarly with any other acquisitions of people who were available and known to the bookers like Eddie Guerrero and Dean Malenko. the only thing stopping the WWF signing those guys in 1995 was their personal opinion. Yours could have been different.

The only thing I majorly disagreed with is the WM title switch. I think getting the belt off Diesel at WM11 is hindsighty. There was no-one else ready made at the time apart from Bret who'd only just lost it and I don't think by that point there was a need or a clamour for Diesel to drop it. The damage to Diesel was done after WM when then his PPV main events went something like Sid, Tag Match, Sid, Mabel, Bulldog. Also, and my turn to be hindsighty, but HBK winning at WM11 just ruins the boyhood dream story for WM12 which given the Iron Man match was shit and Lothario as a regular manager was worse - you forget was really good stuff. I loved the idea of the "Gold club" though fuck off with Candido and Spicolli!

It's easy to forget that from WM11 until Bulldog turned you had Diesel, HBK, Bret, Taker, Razor, Bigelow, Bulldog and Luger on the face side. There was no-one on the heel side. In retrospect I think they could have just played that up (more) by running with Taker & Razor as World Title contenders while they moved some of the heels up the card. The fact that the heels where either in the shitty Million Dollar Corp, debutants (Godwinn, Yankem, Lafitte, Hakushi, Goldust, Mercy, HHH, etc), both (Kama, Austin) or had already outlived their uselfulness at the top (Yoko, Owen, Backlund) just made things horrendous. Wasn't discussed on the pod and I didn't think of it until now but what about turning Diesel on HBK after WM? If you've only got main event level babyface, just turn the Champ. Then you've got main event after main event lined up and you don't have to hurt your faces because Diesel can cheat his way though it.

Mention of Razor reminded me how much I fucking loved him then and how desperate I was to see him do something interesting. He'd have been a great addition to the World title picture, preferably as a face challenging heel Diesel. It would have been a billion times better than Diesel/Sid and if I'm honest, I was a big Sid mark then too. I'd have Kid & Razor as tag champs from Rumble to KOTR where they'd drop them to Bret & Shawn who'd have a little run through the summer until Bret took the title at Survivor Series.

Glad you lads enjoyed it, was really fun to do and get so many different takes with quite literally no two being the same. And with only a couple of exceptions, I'd say damn near all of them were better.

The Diesel title switch is somewhat hindsighty (though as mentioned there were some deeming him a failure very early on), and I think that's obviously one of the pitfalls of something like this, but I think enough was just the shifting of talent into more suitable positions. I was gutted I didn't get my way with Benoit being a part of things, just for the prospects of him versus Bret, or him in a team with Owen which I wanted.

Glad the Kid/Bomb duo got some love, it was admittedly a total hail mary to try and give something to a tag division that very clearly was on life support. What's baffling is that the WWF put together two on paper big name tag teams in Yoko/Owen and Luger/Davey, but the belts still didn't mean a hill of beans.

Very enjoyable listen. It got me thinking though; for all the issues 1995 had, how many other supposedly duff years have had as many PPV matches that were as good as these below?

Bret vs Diesel II

Bret vs Hakushi

Shawn vs Jarrett

Kid vs Hakushi

Shawn vs Razor II

Bret vs Lafitte

Underdogs vs Body Donnas

Wildcard Match

Bret vs Diesel III

Bret vs Bulldog II

• Paid Members

What's baffling is that the WWF put together two on paper big name tag teams in Yoko/Owen and Luger/Davey, but the belts still didn't mean a hill of beans.

I think it's because their match, which might have been anticipated by some of us, was thrown away on an In Your House (which as a concept made the shows feel like B PPVs before "B PPV" was even a thought process), and that their idea of building for the match was to have either/or win a match on Superstars or Challenge against someone like Tony DeVito & Nick Barberi every two or three weeks.

• Paid Members

Very enjoyable listen. It got me thinking though; for all the issues 1995 had, how many other supposedly duff years have had as many PPV matches that were as good as these below?

Its a fair point you make, and a lot of it depends on what you like in your wrestling. But for me, match quality is usually secondary to creative. How many real standout matches did we have during the periods the WWF was really hot? (Basically the mid to late 80's and then the late 90's) Its something a lot of the current WWE crop fail to remember very often.

Archived