Al Snow Wrestling Academy

DrakeWilliams1985

I love the little story on Simon Dean/Nova's shoot interview where he says every time anyone brought up Al Snow's name around Triple H, he'd be completely dismissive and rolling his eyes and stuff.

Al Snow's always seemed like one of those Raven types to me, who thinks he was a way bigger deal than he actually was. At least Raven would tell some amusing/sleazy stories now and then though. Last time I watched Al Snow speak he was a right miserable bastard. The Victor Meldrew of wrestling. Seems like one of those people who has to find fault with everything.

Also Raven was a much bigger name that could draw more money.

• Paid Members

Al is an odd one, an enjoyable and solid mid card hand who worked well in a hot time and played his part well.

However he seems to think he's more than he was, he seems to think too much of himself for being good but ultimately in the right place at the right time.

It's people like Road Dogg who were great midcard names in that time, over like fuck, could take the stunner ever night to send the fans home happy while keepi the lead heel strong and never diminish his spot.

I love the little story on Simon Dean/Nova's shoot interview where he says every time anyone brought up Al Snow's name around Triple H, he'd be completely dismissive and rolling his eyes and stuff.

Al Snow's always seemed like one of those Raven types to me, who thinks he was a way bigger deal than he actually was. At least Raven would tell some amusing/sleazy stories now and then though. Last time I watched Al Snow speak he was a right miserable bastard. The Victor Meldrew of wrestling. Seems like one of those people who has to find fault with everything.

Did he really draw money outside of ECW?

• Moderators

Even if he didn't, that's still one more place than Al Snow ever drew any money.

He did okay in WCW v DDP. Not saying it was a 'big money draw' but he did okay.

Raven was very creative not sure the same could be said for Al Snow who struggled for years to come up with something for himself.

Folks in Al Snow's early WWF position don't really get the chance to come up with something for themselves.   If they want Avatar, you find a mask, if they want a new Rocker, you'd best find out where Marty gets his gear from.  

It's only because Al got the ECW polish - a gimmick based on someone you might encounter in real life, turned up to 150% (in this case, a person who has had a total mental breakdown) coupled with a serving of worked shooting - that the WWF decided to keep him on and he had his best run.  

I think this is where his attitude comes from in the early 90s he was a bit of an Indy darling having technical matches with lots of moves. And made no money. And only made money when he let the wrestling take a back seat and concentrated in getting a fun charachter over.

He didn't go to ECW to be polished he went because they had no ideas for him and hoped the creative people down there could do something with him or not don't think they were bothered really.

Possibly but what I meant is those work rate matches take a toll on the body and unlike the names you mention he never made money from working like that. Hence possible bitterness at all the pain he endured when he was most successful when he let that go.

Possibly if you asked him in 94 Savage/Steamboat would have been his answer to best match at the Silverdome but through painful experience has learned. It's all about the money.

Archived