UFC 194: Aldo vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it's a 50/50 fight. 

That's how I see it. I still think that Chad Mendes is the fighter who would give McGregor real problems if both came into the fight on top of their game and fully prepared. On the feet McGregor can compete with Aldo reasonably well I think (although he hasn't ever faced anyone on that level before, so we'll see), but his ground game looked to be the equivalent of Rousey's stand up when he faced Mendes.

I'm veering towards wanting a McGregor win mainly because it throws up some interesting fights in the division, whereas an Aldo win won't really give us anything new to look forward to.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm still unsure as to what exactly people saw to deem Mcgregor bad on the ground? Maybe you can criticise his takedown defence (which can also be explained due to his knee injury), but he was in fact facing a world class wrestler.

At no point did he panic on the ground and never came close to being finished. He faced one submission attempt and spun out of it and finished the fight from that very escape.

Maybe you could argue his lack of attempted escapes or attacks showed his class on the ground, but what I took from it was Mcgregor knew that all he needed was patience and reserved his energy for the moments when he knew there was a potential finish.

I'm still unsure as to what exactly people saw to deem Mcgregor bad on the ground? Maybe you can criticise his takedown defence (which can also be explained due to his knee injury), but he was in fact facing a world class wrestler.

Yeah, he was facing a world class wrestler, which is kinda my point when I said that Mendes is the guy who would give him real issues in a fight where both guys came in with a proper camp.

• Paid Members

Yep. It's reached the point now where I'm terrified whenever this thread is bumped.

Conor is predicting a first round knock out after Aldo, "crumbles." If it goes more than a couple of rounds I expect Aldo's chances to improve dramatically. If it makes it to round four or five then I expect he'll have kicked McGregor's leg clean off.

• Paid Members

Shame about Waterson vs Torres but I'll happily take the hit on that fight as long as that main card remains intact. For fuck's sake, please just let that main card live.

I'm hoping Waterson ends up fighting the winner of VanZant vs Namajunas instead now. Either way that would be a better fight than anything involving Tecia Torres.

• Paid Members

I think I posted this in the UFC 189 thread but fuck it, I'm posting it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=S1AsYqcN6Go

Amazing. It's a long promo but it's fucking great, I think. The editing is spot on and the last about 2:20 especially are ball-tinglingly brilliant.

• Paid Members

Amazing. I just hope this little prick doesn't pull out again.

You best hope he does, because if the fight takes place, your boy McGregor is getting gonna receive and get finished.

No way, homeboy.

Amazing. I just hope this little prick doesn't pull out again.

You best hope he does, because if the fight takes place, your boy McGregor is getting gonna receive and get finished.

No way, homeboy.

No chance.  Conor is gonna be in a bad mood, and Aldo is going to be on first name terms with the doctors at the local hospital for a long time once McGregor is done with him.

Fantastic piece on Aldo here (there are some videos too for those that prefer that sort of thing) - http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/27/9798748/the-night-we-faced-jose-aldo-ufc-194-conor-mcgregor

Sample quote from Uriah Faber on their fight:

"He actually hit me with a jump knee, which — I didn’t feel it until later, but if you watch the fight he hit a jump knee that hit me right in the sternum. It knocked me down for a second then I stood right back up like nothing happened. But after my leg stopped hurting about four weeks after, then my sternum hurt for, like, almost two years. I’m not even sure what happened."

McGregor has done such a brilliant job convincing me he'll win you sometimes forget what a badass Aldo is. I can't wait!

• Paid Members

Ha, it's all gone a bit Sherdog in here.

I'm going to be the fence sitting twat who's a big fan of both Aldo and McGregor. You don't have to hate one to root for the other. It's not Lesnar vs Mir where if you rooted for Mir you were categorically a wrong'un. It's always fun to pick a side though and I'm definitely Team McGregor. Not only because I love the bastard but because it would blow the division wide open. It's the much more fun outcome. An Aldo win brings nothing very interesting or exciting. McGregor winning opens up the floodgates for an Aldo rematch which would be huge, a Mendes rematch which would be huge and very interesting with both having a proper camp for each other, the Edgar fight which I maintain is probably McGregor's trickiest obstacle at 145. Then you've got Faber lurking, Lamas, Zombie if he ever comes back, possible rubber matches with Aldo and Mendes. Then there's the endless possibilities at 155 - Cerrone, Duffy, Pettis, RDA.

I'm getting way ahead of myself, I know. If Aldo beats McGregor and it's decisive and the kind of victory that doesn't warrant a rematch, I'd actually say that would be the time for Aldo to finally move up to lightweight. With a win over McGregor, Aldo will have well and truly cleared out the featherweight division. It's all rematches from there and the weight cut won't be getting any easier. Plus how would he top the McGregor fight at 145? That'd be the time to move up. Who knows, Aldo and McGregor might end up doing monster fights against each other in two divisions. That'd be a first.

Archived