UFC 194: Aldo vs McGregor

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I'm about 50/50 on the top three fights. And Maia vs Nelson and Holloway vs Stephens aren't exactly easy to call either. I genuinely can't remember another PPV main card where all the fights were this evenly matched.

If I had to pick...

Aldo

Weidman

Jac...no, Rom...

Nah fuck it. I can't do it. The fight I'm most confident in out of the five is Holloway over Stephens. But even then, Stephens is a little terror and hits like a truck.

I don't even have a mental image of what the Jacare vs Romero and Maia vs Nelson fights will look like. They're both incredibly difficult to call. I think Weidman beats Rockhold and I'm still thinking Aldo will get the best of McGregor in the end...but it's one of them cards where you could easily go 5-0 or 0-5 and your picks would've been logical either way.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Okay, well, in that case I'd crack up if he didn't pull out if he got injured, fought hurt and got absolutely smashed as a result.

Given how open he is about being in the sport to make as much money as humanly possible before fucking off, I honestly think he'd prefer to lose and make the money than not fight at all. It seems to crop up every time he fights. People who don't like him constantly go on about how embarrassed he's going to be when Aldo/Mendes/Poirier beats him. Ultimately, whilst I'm sure he'd prefer to win in the cage, in real life he's already won. He's positioned himself as one of the highest earners in the company and so any and every fight he has from now on will just be another couple of million in the bank.

Just for the record when I say I'd crack up I mean I'd actually lose the place. This fight has rumbled on for far too long now.

It would be some sort of sick, mental irony if McGregor fell to injury this time around, or if either of them came into the fight with a significant injury.

I want both of them relatively healthy, and good to go. We need to get a winner from this and move on.

• Paid Members

I said it as far back as the post brimage fight (I'd be lieing if I said it was from cage warriors) but I've always felt confident McGregor beats Aldo, and perhaps with ease.

Not stealing from McGregor, but Aldo is starting to display real signs of being in 1 too many battles. On top of these wars plus his endless injuries, Mcgregor's power, reach, agility and size advantage is going to be far too much for Aldo to take.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't be so confident in that. I think McGregor has a great shot at winning. It's at the point where I wouldn't be shocked if he wins, which is incredible when you think of Aldo's skill and his dominance over the division for so long. But to say he'll do it with ease or that McGregor will be too much for him, it just seems a bit much to me. Aldo might have been through a lot physically but he's still one of the very best fighters in the sport, he's been unbeaten for ten years and has schooled most of the best fighters in his division. You can't ever count out a guy like that.

I've always said that I felt like McGregor had a better shot against Aldo than he did against Edgar or Mendes, simply because Aldo's style should allow McGregor to fight to his strengths more than a great wrestler would. And with the way McGregor gutted it out and stopped Mendes, and with a fucked up knee to boot...it was really impressive. But Aldo's such a great fighter I just can't be confident in anyone beating him, especially not with ease.

As great a striker as McGregor is, Aldo will be the best striker he's ever faced in MMA. Now, I think the same is true in reverse as well. I think McGregor is the best striker Aldo will have faced in MMA. That's what makes this fight so fascinating to me. I don't know what the fuck's going to happen. Will Aldo have an answer for McGregor's reach? Will McGregor have an answer for Aldo's leg kicks? Will Aldo try to mix it up and grapple more than usual?

I can't wait.

• Paid Members

I'm well aware my claim could come back to bite me in the ass Wand, but this isn't me taking anything away from Aldo, I think he's one of greatest of all time, I just think Mcgregor is that good.

He's just a different breed of fighter and it's not just his abilities, but the way he approaches the fight game as to why I'm so confident.

I really want to be confident in a McGregor victory (and I think he's got very good chance), but I keep envisioning the fight over and over in my head and can't help but think his whole hands-high but wide stance is going to be his downfall. I can see Aldo picking wholes in all of that space.

Go back to the Siver fight, he was really reckless (albeit deadly) going forward which could've easily led to him been clipped and I just hope he tightens up a bit more and concentrates on his head movement because Aldo is quick as fuck compared to anyone else he's fought so far.

It just adds another layer of intrigue for me to an already gigantic fight.

• Paid Members

That's very true, speed is a factor that I admit haven't really taken into consideration.

That said, I thought the same with Mendes and Mcgregor destroyed him standing.

I don't think Mcgregor will leave the fight untouched, but with his seemingly strong chin, I think he will be able to get in close enough to finish Aldo.

Go back to the Siver fight, he was really reckless (albeit deadly) going forward which could've easily led to him been clipped and I just hope he tightens up a bit more and concentrates on his head movement because Aldo is quick as fuck compared to anyone else he's fought so far.

Yes, I have considered that. I read several pundits express that McGregor fought too loose against Mendes in their brief bout, and if he fought like that against Aldo, he could be in serious trouble.

In McGregor's defence, there is no certainty he will take such an approach against Aldo. I'm sure he will be talking trash in the cage, and taking chances, but I think he will be a little more measured. Mcgregor is not daft, he will probably give Aldo's striking more respect than he did Siver's or Mendes's. 

I'm well aware my claim could come back to bite me in the ass Wand, but this isn't me taking anything away from Aldo, I think he's one of greatest of all time, I just think Mcgregor is that good.

He's just a different breed of fighter and it's not just his abilities, but the way he approaches the fight game as to why I'm so confident.

I'm with you lamby.  I think Conor is winning this fight, and there is no doubt in my mind about that happening.  I don't think he'll breeze through it with a first round KO, but probably early 2nd round after he's played with him in the first.

• Paid Members

I think it's a 50/50 fight. I picked Aldo but only for the same reasons as I'd never bet against a fighter like Anderson, GSP, Johnson or Rousey (Doh!). Once someone has been that dominant for that long it's hard to see past them continuing to win. I think Conor has as good a chance as anyone, he hits sooo hard that if he catches Aldo like Mendes did then I think it's done. On the flipside, Aldo's unbeaten for a decade for a reason. We saw Conor eat a fair few strikes from Siver & his wide stance leaves his open to leg kicks. I think that once he's tasted a couple of Aldo's it's going to be an eye opener for him.

The biggest question, for me at least is Aldo's ground game & if he'll opt to use that as his primary game plan. After the Mendes fight you have think that Aldo's camp saw that as his main advantage. Conor looked lost on his back with his main defence being looking up at the ref & asking for a stand-up whilst being elbowed. As I mentioned before, whatever the outcome I'm happy & it's a super close fight to pick. Can't wait.

• Paid Members

Conor's in-cage confidence is un-like anything i've ever seen, he does literally fight like he feels he's invincible, he has such disdain for anything he gets hit with and you can't help but feel that may come back to haunt against a guy like Aldo who hits (kicks especially) as hard as anyone in the division. At the same time that pressure and confidence he brings must be un-settling if you are hitting him and he keeps coming like it's nothing whilst punishing you with his hard, accurate shots. Fascinating fight, i'm picking Conor though! TKO around round 3.

Archived