Wrestlers (past/present) with the best 'engines'

JakeRobertsParoleOfficer

• Paid Members

How true are the stories of old-timers like Flair wrestling an hour every night though?

In Flair's case, I think they are true. He's always been known for being physically on the ball. He even did a few on house shows in the 90s in the WWF when he was getting on a bit. He's someone who has a formula, so I can believe he can get through a one hour match without much thought.

When you hear about Jim Neidhart talking about doing one our broadways on his shoot interview, there's just no fucking way. Even if he could go an hour, who the fuck is booking the Anvil to do an hour? You wouldnt have anyone left in the building after 15 minutes.

There's a infamous house show match knocking about where Davey Boy Smith and Greg Valentine just lay in front face lock and then switch to a headlock for about 18 minutes before going to the finish. I suppose back in the 70s and 80s if the cameras werent rolling, you could lay there for 50 minutes if you needed to go an hour. Maybe the quality of the matches are exaggerated. A lot of wrestlers just wanted the matches over with.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Virgil and Tatanka's gear sticks were pretty huge I hear.

As is Lanny Poffo's.

Is that not just flexability, though? I always heard he could suck his own dick, but the man was capable of doing the splits. Maybe its a tiny plonker, but he can get a good reach.

Can't the singer Prince do the same thing? I remember somebody at my school always mentioning that. Think he was a bit of a sex pest.

the rumour was that Prince (and years later the same rumour was reused for Marilyn Manson) had a rib or two removed to increase flexibility to enable such an act. But there was also that rumour that Marilyn Manson was in the Wonder Years, sadly neither appear to be true

• Paid Members

As is Lanny Poffo's.

Is that not just flexability, though? I always heard he could suck his own dick, but the man was capable of doing the splits. Maybe its a tiny plonker, but he can get a good reach.

Can't the singer Prince do the same thing? I remember somebody at my school always mentioning that. Think he was a bit of a sex pest.

the rumour was that Prince (and years later the same rumour was reused for Marilyn Manson) had a rib or two removed to increase flexibility to enable such an act. But there was also that rumour that Marilyn Manson was in the Wonder Years, sadly neither appear to be true

When I was at school it was Michael Jackson.

Quite heart warming that the myth changes with each generation. I wonder who the weirdo is passing it around playgrounds for 25+ years?

• Paid Members

As is Lanny Poffo's.

When I was at school it was Michael Jackson.

Quite heart warming that the myth changes with each generation. I wonder who the weirdo is passing it around playgrounds for 25+ years?

Was Marilyn Manson when I was at school too. It’s a bit like that other rumour of a singer being rushed to hospital because they drank too much spunk: it’s been attributed to many artists over the years.

Surprised no one's mentioned Bret Hart (for having a good engine, not guzzling loads of jizz), worked a fairly fast pace but never looked blown up, I suppose it could be down to Michaels' superb ability to sell but Bret looked like he coped with the Iron Man match a lot better than HBK

The five wrestlers mentioned in the first post are good examples of wrestlers working good, long matches. Still, I would rather watch something else than two wrestlers doing 60 minute matches. I understand that it requires a lot to work a 60 minute match, but what's really the attraction of watching it?

There are some wrestlers who were known for working methodically, which in many cases meant long boring matches at half speed or restholds*.

* Restholds is a term that is criticised because in "the old days", they were working the holds. Yes, they did work the holds... for what (in many cases) felt like an eternity...

Archived