The Holiday Thread

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Anyone here ever been to Myanmar/Burma?

Planning a holiday there now, so would be good to get any tips if anyone has any.

I have. Beautiful country.

I've got lots of information that I'll scan and PM to you if you'd like? I'm on holiday at the moment (Puerto Rico is fantastic for anyone considering it) but could get it to you in a fortnight when I'm back.

How long are you planning to go for? I spent 4 weeks there and it wasn't nearly enough.

Heading to Boston, Phily, Baltimore and DC in March for two and a half weeks. Looking forward to the museums in DC the most I think. There's apparently one with the bullet that killed Lincoln along with fragments of his skull. Also want to have a look at the buildings and bar that were used in Homicide when I'm in Baltimore. Plus the Rocky statue in Phily. Trying to head along to a hockey or Celtics match in Boston as well. Can't wait to go, literally crossing off the days!

• Moderators

Anyone here ever been to Myanmar/Burma?

Planning a holiday there now, so would be good to get any tips if anyone has any.

I have. Beautiful country.

I've got lots of information that I'll scan and PM to you if you'd like? I'm on holiday at the moment (Puerto Rico is fantastic for anyone considering it) but could get it to you in a fortnight when I'm back.

How long are you planning to go for? I spent 4 weeks there and it wasn't nearly enough.

That would be brilliant, thank you! I will PM you my email address to send to if that's cool? My inbox is always full on here.

We are going for two weeks. Will be flying in and out of Yangon; my aunt is living there at the moment. Haven't really got into the detail of the itinerary planning yet - just doing a bit of background research. Booking the flights this weekend though, pending approval of holiday requests from work. Getting excited!

I realise there is shitloads to see, so we will need to accept that we can't see everything and not try to pack too much in.

Planned dates are 31 March - 16 April

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Heading to Boston, Phily, Baltimore and DC in March for two and a half weeks. Looking forward to the museums in DC the most I think. There's apparently one with the bullet that killed Lincoln along with fragments of his skull. Also want to have a look at the buildings and bar that were used in Homicide when I'm in Baltimore. Plus the Rocky statue in Phily. Trying to head along to a hockey or Celtics match in Boston as well. Can't wait to go, literally crossing off the days!

The Eastern State Penitentiary is a short walk from the 'Rocky steps' too, well worth a trip.

For what it's worth Baltimore is the only place I've been to in the US where I felt a bit uneasy (and I'll happily walk past Skid Row from the Greyhound station in LA/stay in hostels in Harlem etc.). The harbour area is fine but it just seemed a couple of blocks walk away you were in areas you generally wouldn't find so close to a city centre.

From Boston it's not too far on the train to head up to Salem (Salem witch trials) and Gloucester (where The Perfect Storm was based). You can stay at the Crow's Nest as seen in the film and it's still owned by the Shatford family. I didn't make it to Gloucester as it was just too cold (I was there last January for McGregor Vs. Siver) but definitely want to go there and Maine next time..

I was hoping to go to the National Museum of Crime & Punishment next time I was in DC but I heard it closed late last year which is a shame. I hadn't heard of it when I was there previously or else that would have been top of the list..

Have you been to NYC before and didn't fancy it this trip?

Edited by icke83

Yeah was looking at the eastern state pen, will probably end up going I'd say. Friend I'm staying with in Boston's family is from Gloucester, so will see it as well I think.

Was in NYC in 2014 (stayed on 145th street up in Harlem, was grand) and did a shit tonne, all the sights and stuff as well as a ride along with the NYPD (surprisingly boring, was a Monday afternoon I suppose) So reckoned on this trip I'd leave it out and have a look around a few different cities like DC, philly, Baltimore etc.

I have been to DC and I thought it was the biggest dump on Earth and I have been to Hull (sorry Rick). Between the White House, The Lincoln Memorial and the Capitol Building there is a nice green belt called National Mall which contains most of the Smithsonian Museums. Outside that the city is a bit ropey.

Places definitely worth paying a visit are the Air and Space Museum where you can see the Apollo 11 module, The Spirit of St Louis and the Wright Brothers first plane. Arlington Cemetery was a haunting experience, made more somber due to torrential rain and a military procession for a fallen soldier in the Iraq conflict. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and Kennedy Memorial was a surreal experience. It was cool to see the US Constitution, Bill of Rights and Declaration of Independence documents at the National Archive but beware that the security is as strict as an airport. If you get chance go to the Capitol Building it is a majestic piece of architecture with some great views at the top of the stairs. 

Don't bother with the International Spy Museum, it was ok but it was aimed at kids. If you plan to catch a game at the Verizon Center there is plenty of touts on the outside to get some cheap tickets. I got $120 tickets for a Hockey game for $40, however it was a meaningless game as the Caps were out of playoff contention as well as the opponents the Penguins at the time. Tickets will be at a premium if the Caps or Wizards are challenging for honours, (Just had a quick check and the Caps are storming the Eastern Conference! You may have a better chance scoring tickets for the basketball)

I didn't feel safe in DC mainly because I had a bum stalking me for the four days that I was there. I made the mistake of giving him a cigarette and he loitered around my hotel professing his love for the tobacco plant. The trip didn't get off to the best of starts as when i was on the airport shuttle bus I was almost involved in an 'International Incident'

I jumped on the bus at Dulles and got chatting to some Aussies. I was giving them a bit of needle as we beat them in the Rugby World Cup a few months earlier. We arrived at the Australians hotel and one of the lads said to the driver "Crikey Dingoes mate wheres my bloody bag you Sheila?" (I may have exaggerated on the stereotype slightly)  

The driver looked confused and it dawned on him what he had done. He explained that he took his bag out put it on the roof of the minibus to get another passengers bag and must have forgot to put it back in the bus. The Aussie fella was obviously irate and ordered him to find his bag. So off we go retracing our steps to try and find this bag. After five minutes the driver pulled over and here was this camouflage backpack under the lampost outside the Iranian Embassy. Thankfully for our Antipodean friend a controlled explosion did not happen on his budgie smugglers and Vegemite. 

So yeah, if I was offered the opportunity to go back DC I wouldn't go, I would more likely go to Atlantic City but I am a degenerate gambler. 

I have been to DC and I thought it was the biggest dump on Earth and I have been to Hull (sorry Rick). Between the White House, The Lincoln Memorial and the Capitol Building there is a nice green belt called National Mall which contains most of the Smithsonian Museums. Outside that the city is a bit ropey.

Once was enough in DC for me too just to see the obvious things, though I quite like the idea of spending some time in the bars etc. frequented by White House/Secret Service staff but that's probably more of a living vicariously thing than anything else..not that I want to work in the White House/could just with it been an iconic place and been a fan of the West Wing..

I found it all a bit of a trek from one place/Metro station to another in DC too but I might have got lazy having come straight from NYC with its subway stations on most corners..

I did get to see Obama's motorcade go past which was pretty cool.

I don't know if you are a Steve Martin fan/if you are there then but he is doing a show in Boston on the 7th & 8th April. I'm just waiting to see what's happening with the UFC show April 23rd then going to get my next trip booked. Want to catch Steve then or the 24th in Atlanta.. http://www.citicenter.org/buy/show-listing/steve-martin-and-martin-short

Edited by icke83

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Booked a ten day holiday with Boston with one of my best friends for October. First time to the States and can't wait. Hoping that I luck out and am there during the same time as the Patriot's playing at home. Also fingers crossed a Donald Trump rally will hit town at some point I am there, what with it being so close to the Presidential Election. Not a swing state, so probably won't happen, but would love to be part of the modern day Nuremberg Rally, just to experience the lunacy.

• Paid Members

I really liked Boston. It was October and all the leaves were changing so it was beautiful. I went to Salem too. That was cool especially as it was nearing Halloween so everything had been ramped up.

I'm going to Ukraine in a couple of weeks. I've got a 2-day tour of Pripyat and the Chernobyl exclusion zone. I've always wanted to go so I'm massively excited.

• Paid Members

I really liked Boston. It was October and all the leaves were changing so it was beautiful. I went to Salem too. That was cool especially as it was nearing Halloween so everything had been ramped up.

I'm going to Ukraine in a couple of weeks. I've got a 2-day tour of Pripyat and the Chernobyl exclusion zone. I've always wanted to go so I'm massively excited.

Yeah, Salem is one of the places we're definitely going to. Couldn't believe how quick it was to get the Amtrak there. Pleasant difference from the 30 year old Tonka trains I'm used to.

That Chernobyl holiday sounds brilliant.

• 6 months later...
  • Paid Members

Well, it's a week away from Boston and I am positively jizzing with excitement. Definite stuff we've got on so far...

Attending Boston Eagles college football game

Attending Boston Celtic ice hockey game

Tour of Salem

Tour of Fenway Park

Trip to Martha's Vineyard

Kennedy Museum

Couple of art museums 

Also have a very large list of bars/fooderies to go to, including one incredible looking seafood restaurant which is outrageously expensive, but seems superb. If I don't gain half a stone by the end of the eleven days, I shall consider it a disappointment.

• Paid Members

Got back from my jaunt around Asia last night. Ten and a half hour flight from KL to Istanbul, a two hour wait and then another three hours into London. That and the seven hour time difference, I was beat.

Had a great time though. White water rafting in Bali, frolicking with elephants in Chaing Mai, crazy roller coasters at Universal in Singapore, watching CM Punk get beaten up at a bar in Cambodia. Six weeks flew by.

Fucking hated Bangkok though. What a shithole.