NXT Breaking Ground

5pints

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

"We make movies" *gargles water*

You see every time I watch Lucha Underground, the backstage skits, that Vince quote pops into my head and I wish they took LU's lead when it comes to backstage segments.

It's predetermined. We know it's predetermined, Vince knows we know. If you're going to go down the dramatic backstage segment route, as they have done for more than 15 years now, why don't they just go the whole hog like Lucha does? The 'invisible camera' shit they persist with is so horrible and contrived. It must look ridiculous to people who haven't seen it before.

If you want to make movies Vince then make them, rather ITV2 reality shows!

You see every time I watch Lucha Underground, the backstage skits, that Vince quote pops into my head and I wish they took LU's lead when it comes to backstage segments.

It's predetermined. We know it's predetermined, Vince knows we know. If you're going to go down the dramatic backstage segment route, as they have done for more than 15 years now, why don't they just go the whole hog like Lucha does? The 'invisible camera' shit they persist with is so horrible and contrived. It must look ridiculous to people who haven't seen it before.

Doing them as shitty film scenes like Lucha Underground wouldn't be any better. It's even more contrived and laughable than the invisible camera and people would ridicule it, like those times in 2010 when WWE started adding backing music to in-ring speeches on Smackdown. Using multiple angles and editing would be more expensive and take ages as well.

TNA had the most logical idea for backstage bits, that the cameramen were hiding and shooting the wrestlers through doorways or round corners or whatever. It looked a bit crap, but so does WWE's current approach.

The best way to do backstage skits is to have them appear as though they're a spontaneous occurrence that the camera captures because they're already filming a promo or something nearby. ICW have used this for a while and its much easier to watch. That said they don't have 5 hours of tv (not counting C shows) to film every week.

• Paid Members

I thought this was the best of the three shows thus far. Tyler Breeze in particular came across as a really great guy that you want to see succeed. I hope they filmed him getting the call that he's moving to the main roster.

But yeah, it's proper mental that anyone can think this show is exposing the business or killing kayfabe. The first Tough Enough was yonks ago and this is essentially the same show, only better.

• Paid Members

Doing them as shitty film scenes like Lucha Underground wouldn't be any better. It's even more contrived and laughable than the invisible camera and people would ridicule it, like those times in 2010 when WWE started adding backing music to in-ring speeches on Smackdown. Using multiple angles and editing would be more expensive and take ages as well.

TNA had the most logical idea for backstage bits, that the cameramen were hiding and shooting the wrestlers through doorways or round corners or whatever. It looked a bit crap, but so does WWE's current approach.

Oh it's certainly more contrived, but considering it's all contrived anyway you might as well go all the way and make it look good, rather than 'two chumps are standing in an awkward and unnatural position, slightly side on so the camera can see them'. I absolutely hate the invisible camera format. It's become such a frequent part of TV now though, they won't have a clue what to do if they stopped doing it so it'll probably be part of the format forever (bit like the recent discussion on here about authority roles). Although you're right about it being expensive, it'd cost them a lot more to produce. Probably one of the reasons an episode of Lucha costs more than an episode of Raw, if that's true.

Yeah the TNA idea is the only other logical one I thought of- which is right at the other end of the spectrum of the reality VS theatre scale. Sometimes it looked pretty good, sometimes though it was absolute shite. Still it's also better than the invisible camera in my view.

Fuck it, just have Renee interview everyone with the odd ambush. That'll do.

This week's NXT had Eva Marie starting some heel chin-wagging with Bertha Faye 2.0 Nia Jax, spotting the camera right next to them, and casually heading out of earshot, leaving the camera (viewer?) peering through a window like a peeping Tom. It was a really smart move, kind of halfway between what the main shows do and TNA's eavesdropping approach. Years ago, didn't the Hart Foundation chuck the cameraman out of the room for nosing? Clearly you can't do that every time, but it seems someone's got some ideas backstage.

They do so little backstage stuff these days, I can't even remember the last time the invisible camera thing stood out as being particularly awkward.

The most awkward is the Authority's office, which looks identical every week, only seems to have the one wall, and everyone faces the same way when they're stood in there.  And why the fuck do they carry around framed pictures to every arena they go?

Archived