Your Most Hated World Title Reign in History

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

Hogan, 2002, surely?

Careful, some people think that Hogan run was "lush."

I could have dealt with that reign if HHH had ended it at WrestleMania - it would have seen like they'd have done it for a reason. Instead he dropped it the month before and was annihilated by HHH in their subsequent confrontations.

You're thinking of his 09-10 run. Calum's talking about 2012 where Sheamus lost the belt to Show in the October.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I absolutely hated this because of the sheer futility of it:

edgetitle_display_image.jpg?1274192068

I loved Edge and despised Cena at the time so this was absolutely brilliant, a genuine shock in him cashing in, the hot sex angle that was a spectacular ratings success and three weeks later... they ended it. WHAT WAS THE FUCKING POINT?

Yeah I am. His second reign wasn't very good either. I distinctly remember a segment on Raw where he was running away from the Nexus and begging Cena for help. Made him look so weak.

I don't remember seeing it with my own eyes, but Nash talks about that on one of his myriad shoots. "Would they have booked the Undertaker to do that?" being his main point.

Some might say that this is fairly controversial, however my pick is Kurt Angles first WWF title run.

Angle was red hot before winning the title, before becoming a background player.

First of all he had to defend against The American Lard Arse at Survivor Series which went to a terrible finish so as Undertaker could avoid the clean job, which would have done Angle the world of good.

Then he was the forgotten man in the 6 man hell in a cell match and only got a flukey pinball. He was then pitted against HHH in a heel vs heel match that served no purpose.

When it finally came time for him to drop the belt to Rock, Hebner fucked the finish the dumb prick.

• Paid Members
To start with I love the guy. He could have been a great Champion etc etc. But good lord. EVEN before his title reign began he was screwed. After winning the rumble he puts his #1 Contendership on the line at No Way Out and loses. Loses! To Orton.  It begins. Then Teddy Long just takes pity on him cause his friend died and puts him in the World title match, which Rey  then wins. I don't think any one had a problem with the 'do it for Eddie' stuff but it could have been done so much better. Once Mysterio won the belt is where the problems began.

I did. It was crass, exploitative garbage.

Not a "reign" as such but I'd argue that Jeff Jarrett's run on top of WCW should count here. I genuinely like Jarrett but it was utter crap. He had four reigns in just a few months and he was constantly overshadowed by Russo's mental booking. He won at three consecutive PPVS because of "shocking" heel turns that made no real sense and made him look weak as hell. Seriously, his win over Nash, where he had six or seven guys running interference, The Cat being a dodgy Ref and, eventually, a Goldberg heel turn made JBL look like Brock Lesnar in comparison. Jarrett could've shot Nash and it wouldn't have kept him down for three. That isn't even getting into the nonsense where he lost to Flair who got stripped of the Title, beat Nash for the vacant title, lost to Nash who gave the title back to Flair, who lost it back to Jarrett, all in the space of about a week. How's anybody supposed to keep track of all that much less care about it?

• Paid Members

Rey Mysterio's run with the World Heavyweight Championship was terrible. He came across as a loser in the build-up to winning the belt; losing his title shot to Randy Orton at No Way Out before Teddy Long gave him it back out of pity. Whilst holding the title I think everyone got a victory over him at some point. Once he'd lost the title he probably came out with less value than before he entered the title picture. That's the worst for me.

Other honourable mentions include Sheamus' 2nd WWE Championship run (the first I could deal with as it was a real shock at a time when things were stale), the Alberto Del Rio babyface title reign and Jack Swagger's thrilling World Heavyweight Championship reign in which he seemed to all of a sudden have all of the character sucked out of him and turned into a Smartprice serious Jericho.

• Paid Members

For me it's got too be Kevin Nash's 95 run. He got the belt right after I started watching and I was fucking bamboozled that he had the belt when even at 7 ft in my young Kayfabe mind I couldn't fathom how he had the belt over Bret Hart and a lesser extent HBK as was so obviously inferior. He had a run off horrendous matches that to be fair wasn't entirely his fault because of his opponents cough Mabel cough. He did have a couple of very good matches when he was carried but in my mind a champ should get an acceptable match out off everyone. The cherry on the top of the cake for Big Humpty was the length of the reign. How it never turned me off for good I don't know

• Paid Members

I absolutely hated this because of the sheer futility of it:

edgetitle_display_image.jpg?1274192068

I loved Edge and despised Cena at the time so this was absolutely brilliant, a genuine shock in him cashing in, the hot sex angle that was a spectacular ratings success and three weeks later... they ended it. WHAT WAS THE FUCKING POINT?

The point was to establish Edge as a massive cunt (when the MITB cash-in actually meant something) and as a top of the card character. It worked beautifully. He'd always had potential but never really broke through but he was established as a go to main eventer thereafter.

Not sure why, but the "reign" that came to me first was that of Rob Van Dam. They took their sweet time pushing him towards the main event proper, arguably doing so after peak over-ness. When RVD finally got there, becoming a double champion in the process, he fucked it up all by himself within weeks. I wasn't the biggest fan of him but I sure wanted to see if he could have a decent run, giving us a change from Cena and Edge (who I wasn't fond of at the time).

Put me in The Miz camp also......

I know it's a work but the guy holding the belt has to have some degree of authenticity or believability, hell even Rey when he was champion you can make a case for him using his speed and agility to theoretically beat bigger guys, but this bloke had nothing to offer, I used to look in awe at big guys like Hogan and Warrior and Undertaker, and the absolute credibility that Austin carried as a bona fide ass kicker, now I am seeing a reality TV star who looks no more imposing than the waiter at my local Nandos, fucking hair gel, fake tan being smeared across the mat after he's done competing, fucking joke of a man.

One of the most uninspiring Wrestlemania main events in history, just pottering around for a few minutes until he kicked out of the AA in a desperate attempt to make him seem credible. To quote big sexy...."WWE told the world that there shit is a work with The Miz as champ".

Rey Mysterio's run with the World Heavyweight Championship was terrible. He came across as a loser in the build-up to winning the belt; losing his title shot to Randy Orton at No Way Out before Teddy Long gave him it back out of pity. Whilst holding the title I think everyone got a victory over him at some point. Once he'd lost the title he probably came out with less value than before he entered the title picture. That's the worst for me.

I'd second this.

If i remember rightly his first match after winning the title was a non title squash loss clean to Khali! 

I cant recall in recent memory whose reign was so utterly sabotaged and made pointless as that! I think it was only rey's appeal that kept this treatment from killing his career!

CM Punk's first World Heavyweight title reign springs to mind for me...

Wins the title on a MITB cash-in after Batista has battered Edge. First PPV defence against Batista goes to a double DQ, he then gets to beat JBL who no-one was taking seriously as a main eventer at all by this stage, and then loses the title when he gets booted by Orton in a backstage promo, and about an hour later still isn't well enough to defend it. All the while, it's being drummed into us that he's a flukey, lucky champion who didn't deserve to be where he was.

Archived