Fixing the WWF in April 2002

Liam O'Rourke

Yeah I wasnt so hot about that as you could probably tell from my voice. Kane was best served in a team for sure, but the Raven/Kane tag could be horrible, allies more than a set tag team if anything. Maybe interesting for Raven to have a monster as opposed to goofy lackeys if he's getting a push since he needs a shot of cred out the gate, but HurriKanes as a babyface tandem suits me far more. Didnt actually cross my mind since we had them on separate sides...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had no idea Hogan had used Voodoo Child in WCW until reading this thread, but I always thought it was an inspired choice of music for him in 2002. I was learning to play the guitar at the time and bang in to Jimi Hendrix, which also helped.

Also - Real American is the lamest piece of music ever composed if you don't have any sentimental attachment to it. Voodoo Child actually made Hogan seem cool for a bit, which was some feat at that point.

• Paid Members
Also - Real American is the lamest piece of music ever composed if you don't have any sentimental attachment to it.

Yeah, but Hulk Hogan in 2002 was utter dogshit as a wrestler if you had no sentimental attachment to him.

Sentiment to Real American is sentiment to Hogan surely? His height of popularity and his "hero" character was when Real American was his theme.

Agree with air_raid, he is just an old guy wrestler with nothing going for him in 2002 if there is no sentimental attachment to him and he needed Real American. Without it, it is a literal what-you-see-is-what-you-get as there is nothing else at all going for him at this point. The whole reason he is there at the time is because of sentiment and the nostalgic reaction.

Also - Real American is the lamest piece of music ever composed if you don't have any sentimental attachment to it.

Yeah, but Hulk Hogan in 2002 was utter dogshit as a wrestler if you had no sentimental attachment to him.

Unless you tarted him up with some belter choon about chopping down mountains with the edge of his hand!

Dogshit's a bit far. I loved his brawl with Vince at 'Mania 19.

• Paid Members

Both matches worked because he's Hulk Hogan and the crowd fucking loved him. That can't possibly be under-stated. Or debated.

The quality of Hogan's work at that point can be seen in his fuck awful matches with Trips and Taker. That run was all about the nostalgia. No-one was nostalgic for the Hendrix tune no matter how good it was. People wanted to see the Hogan they remembered from the 80s. If they didn't, the WM reaction wouldn't have happened and he wouldn't have been back in red and yellow the next week.

• Paid Members

Enjoyed listening to the pod. Another good job. Some really good contributions including several from here. Good posts in this thread from Vamp, Pinc, Pitcos, HarmGen, Michael, Fox and others.

At the end of it though, I don't think you've made a difference to their business. I think you've created an entertaining SummerSlam and WrestleMania 19 but on the whole, you're not halting the slide in business. That isn't a criticism because I don't think there is anything that you could have done to alter things drastically. The business was just naturally cooling after a real hot period and there was no short term fix. Trying to find one is what made Raw almost unbearable for the next year or two.

I really liked the idea that Brock murders Hogan in the KOTR final. Fuck old man Jones. I liked the Raven/Kane team too. No Reverend D'Von though? Get outta here.

One really interesting aspect was the discussion about including rookies from development in the draft complete with weeks of reports on who they were hopefully by JR. Can you imagine that happening now with guys coming out of NXT? It's making me wet just thinking about it. It would be brilliant.

Looking forward to next week. Most hated title run. Getting my thinking cap on but my immediate thought was Slaughter in 1991. Gonna take something catastrophic to beat that bag of wank.

Well, you're wrong because I got something out of Hogan despite having no sentimental attachment to him - and his theme played a big part. Just because I hadn't really seen him before, doesn't mean his natural charisma couldn't shine through, as well as commentary bigging up making him special.

If he'd had Real American from the start, I don't think I'd have got into him nearly as much. I wonder if they didn't go with Real American straight away as a) they had the rights to Voodoo Child still and b) they'd just come out of the Attitude Era and such a cheesy theme would have been jarring in contrast.

Enjoyed listening to the pod. Another good job.

One really interesting aspect was the discussion about including rookies from development in the draft complete with weeks of reports on who they were hopefully by JR. Can you imagine that happening now with guys coming out of NXT? It's making me wet just thinking about it. It would be brilliant.

Thank you very much!

Yeah I absolutely fell in love with that idea when we got talking about it, and am pissed off that there really isn't an interesting way to incorporate it into the modern landscape with no need to have a draft. But the vignettes, JR's breakdowns, Ric consulting with Arn about how this Orton kid looks good and he knew his Dad, etc, just a way to create some anticipation and freshen things up every year.

Both matches worked because he's Hulk Hogan and the crowd fucking loved him. That can't possibly be under-stated. Or debated.

The quality of Hogan's work at that point can be seen in his fuck awful matches with Trips and Taker. That run was all about the nostalgia. No-one was nostalgic for the Hendrix tune no matter how good it was. People wanted to see the Hogan they remembered from the 80s. If they didn't, the WM reaction wouldn't have happened and he wouldn't have been back in red and yellow the next week.

In fairness to Hogan, he did apparently make a point of trying to up his work when he worked with Edge and the Unamericans, obviously being in tags helped as he didn't blow up after about 2 minutes but you can see the difference in his work at Vengeance 2002 and his match with Taker a couple of months before where he moved like he was about 100, that chokeslam he (sort of) took was horrendous

Archived