Fixing the WWF in April 2002

Liam O'Rourke

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'd go back further and keep the InVasion trundling along somehow until the likes of Flair, the NWO and Bischoff were in.

Come April 2002, I don't know what the solution is. Essentially it's already fucked. There's a million wrestlers on the roster and people don't care to watch them compared to a year or two prior. And the stars you have got are being split up.

I definitely wouldn't book Austin vs Undertaker #884545643 as the first top Raw feud. Austin, Undertaker and Triple H are all problems, actually. They're your top guys but they're all worse than they were a year before. But then, I don't know what I'd book instead. That's an issue with it, there's loads of stuff that you can look at and say was shit and counterproductive, but it's hard to come up with anything that would have really made much of a positive difference. Like putting the belt on Hogan being a mistake, but keeping it on HHH in his shitty babyface phase wouldn't have done a lot more. Although off the top of my head, one idea would be to have had the NWO help HHH beat Hogan at Backlash and keep the belt (the only belt) on Triple H until the next WrestleMania, where he loses it to Brock Lesnar. That plan, despite being impossible due to Razor and Diesel's fuck-ups anyway, also robs all the good stuff that did happen in that timespan. The initial rise of Brock as champion on Smackdown, the forming of Evolution etc.

I'd have had Jericho kick the shit out of The Rock on his last night on Smackdown before going off to do a film (which was like week one or two of the brand split) to try and give him some momentum as a top heel, which could then be used to try and put someone else over to the point of 

I want to thank everybody for the contributions in this thread, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/qy4u6m/SCGRadio57-FixingTheWWFinApril2002.mp3

Join us as we attempt to re-book the early days of the WWF Brand Extension - considering all the issues facing the WWF in April 2002, discussing the entire roster, brand identity, and the titles in order to decide who goes on which show, who gets pushed, who gets downplayed, and all the directions going forward, as well as taking your suggestions on what needed to be done to bring a faltering WWF back on track. A really fun show this week, check it out and let us know what you think!

Listened. Enjoy your podcast but your Hogan hate is too much. The guys been a buffoon since 2005/2006 but his time pre 05 is good stuff. 

One of the greatest names of all time and all you could come up with was 'Don't want him to win'. Even the actually quite good suggestion of having him vs Lesnar in the final of KOTR 2002 was shot down because 'He'd have to win matches to get there'.

It's Hulk Hogan lads. Your honestly daft not to use him.

Well, you're preaching to the converted on that one, it was my idea for him to make it to the final, and stand by that. Him not winning the title is well founded, since the numbers dropped so catastrophically when he got it, and truth be told, he probably is best used as a short term star power fix. Jobbing him out would be senseless, but he shouldnt be beating many key players during a time when the focus on the old guard and not new stars was probably the biggest problem at the time.

In fairness to Karl, who shot the KOTR idea down, it was also because he wanted to focus on Lesnar Vs Hogan ahead of time rather than the unadvertised final.

I pretty much can't stand Hogan either and did chuckle along in agreement but to be fair..

Wouldn't want a belt on him obvs, but that's a bit amazing

Fair do's, yeah Karl seemed to be the one who was most down on Terry.

He didn't win all the time in real life as it was. From what I can remember (and my memory and interest is limited) he beat HHH at Backlash for the World Title and that was it wasn't it? He lost to Undertaker, Angle and Lesnar. Maybe a few tag matches he won but in terms of one on one matches he lost them.

For me, after WM18 in 2002, you have him wrestle at KOTR against Lesnar which he loses in the final and go from there. Make him what Taker is now, purely part-time. Only Wrestling at WM and maybe Summerslam but tell him that outside engagments are strictly forbidden (no reality TV shows). Keep him on a leash.

• Paid Members

Haven't had chance to listen to the podcast yet, but the Hogan music thing drove me irrationally mad at the time. Hollywood coming out to the nWo theme instead of Voodoo Child I was OK with and understood, assuming they didn't want to pay to use it. But then when he separated from the nWo.... they get it for him???

Black & white = maybe Voodoo Child.

Yellow & red = REAL AMERICAN, because you have the rights to it and aren't stuck with American Made, definitely not Voodoo Child.

Then in 2003 they GIVE HIM Real American, but only because he's in a mask and doing a Patriot tribute act. So you give me Hogan's most iconic "yellow and red" theme, but don't dress him in yellow and red. I can't believe how they kept fucking up something so simple as what colours you dress Hulk Hogan in and what music goes with those colours. Seriously irrational rage.

Archived