WWE Live from MSG

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Did anyone else watch this over the weekend? I know it meant bugger all in the grand scheme of things but after a slow start, it was quite a decent watch.

It was a really slow start, though. Sheamus has been fighting Orton or Ziggler almost every week since April. It took me a while to remember Neville and Stardust had a match, why are they fighting again? And the Divas match sounded very similar to the one on Raw this week with a slightly different ending.

Things picked up when Jericho came out. This was the most I've liked Jericho in ages, I really wanted to see him win and become a 10-time champion on the 25th anniversary of his first match. Would have been a good story, and nice to see Lance Storm and Don Callis in the audience as well. Enjoyed the match with Owens, and to be fair the right guy won, but I'd have been happy either way. First time match as well, I think?

I don't watch Raw so I haven't been overexposed to New Day (if indeed they have been) so I loved their pre match stuff, especially the "SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!" routine. I hope they keep that going, I can see that catching on. The Dudleys losing constantly is leading to a Tables match at some point, right?

Lesnar vs Big Show went as expected. They did a good job making Show seem like he possibly had a chance, but once Brock kicked out of three consecutive chokeslams Show should probably have just run away as fast as he could. That belly to belly was phenomenal.

Main event was okay but a bit uninteresting. I'm sure there was a way for Rollins to have lost without Cena pinning him clean.

Womens match was intelligence insulting, time wasting, talent wasting crap. Everybody gets Paige is the heel now! Finish was ok but was already way disengaged by that point. Should've got Nikki's rematch clause out of the way so the spotlight can actually be on Paige going forward rather than the terrible awkward 3-way promo stuff (with Team BAD presumably staring at their shoes in the back). Also Bellas got a bigger pop than the faces, which is just disheartening. Abolish Total Divas

Owens v Jericho was very nice, for being different as much as anything. Some nice moments and chemistry. Not a blowaway by any means, but likely MOTN

New Day/Dudz was enjoyable and New Day were pure gold pre-match, even by their own standards, loved the calling out of the 'wazzzuuup'. .. OBSCURE TELEVISION REFERENCES FROM THE 90S. Kind of a pity it was pretty much an exact replica of Night of Champions, just without the apron bump. Post-match I was hoping against hope that Spike Dudley would come out for the save to make it different but oh well. Yeah I'm thinking tables match at HIAC, but I'm scared Dudleyz are gonna win now - actually actively predicting it to happen. If anyone else were the champs I'd say awesome but... New... Day Rocks

Lesnar/Show was a ton of fun while it lasted. I like Show, it's not his fault how he has been booked, so I would've liked this to go on longer as it was all I really tuned in for, but what else can you do really. Just a blast though, and Lesnar coming out for a couple more 'plexes is win-win. No idea what "let's hear it for the Big Show" was about other than to give ingrates the opportunity to give Show loads of abuse. Also a pity Cesaro was a victim of making this, what, 3 minute match? Not like I thought his little momentum a couple months ago would really go anywhere in particular but it's well and truly squashed after that.

Cena Rollins was pretty fun. I smelt the finish a mile off but still got surprisingly into it.

Overall a decent watch but not much setting it apart from any recent Raw apart from Y2J, Lesnar wrestling and a cage. The Tokyo show just had so much more about it, even ignoring the crowd.

Seeing as Takeover Respect will have Balor & Joe in the Dusty Rhodes tournament, an NXT title match really wouldn't have gone amiss here. Tyler Breeze or somebody. A little showcase as it's always enjoyable for me to see the NXT lot come out in a big arena.

Jericho amd owens have been doing a lot of house shows

Lesnar on these specials is losing his appeal if it's 5 mins matches. He's not doing anything new

Has Orton been doing the pump the crowd entrance for a while, or is that just for house shows? I skip though most of raw, so haven't noticed. Thought his appeal was his just don't give a fuck attitude?

Was that meant to be a sheamus face turn?

Why is Paige still announced as a pcb member, and still starting matches with them after last few weeks of tv?

Rollins Wrestles too much as a baby face until he acts shit scared at the end of matches.

It's been a long day

• Paid Members

Glorified Raw Replay with Lesnar/Show and a Jericho appearance shot onto it. With the exception of Dudleys/New Day i'm sick of every match and most of the talent on the card.

As much as I liked Cena vs Rollins I am beginning to get the impression that Rollins is only able to 'do' the type of wrestling that has little in the way of story and more of the spotfest 'indy' style that pops the crowd. If you stripped away the acrobatics would we be left with half the wrestler he is? At one point I was convinced he would be this generations Shawn Michaels but the more I watch his matches the more I see the same repetitive stuff that always happens. For example, the reversal out of the Attitude Adjustment has been so overdone that it is expected that he will land on his feet. If he changed up some of his stuff and worked a story in maybe I would see him as a main event guy in the future but I haven't seen that from him in the WWE.

Cena on the other hand continues to prove me wrong. I am beginning to see him as an elder statesman for the company and someone who truly is one of the best that there has been. That's not to say he is the best wrestler but his dedication and ability to change with the times - in terms of having matches with an evolving style in the WWE - really impresses me. 

Has anyone any ideas about matches I should watch that highlight storytelling from Rollins? I really want to be positive about his psychology. 

As someone else said Lesnar needs to do something new other than squashing people. I want to see someone give him some competition but that doesn't mean making him lose his star aura. Even a smaller guy having a squash but getting an extremely close near fall wouldn't be a bad thing (bouncing Lesnar off a chair and hitting a roll up for a 2 3/4 similar to Spud and Abyss several years ago) would work. 

• Awards Moderator

A house show is a house show, but the bells and whistles of Jericho's charming little speech (forget he was a heel last we saw him though, eh?) and it just being MSG gave it some grandeur, even if you knew it was never upsetting the status quo.

JBL was on full-time historian duty, you could tell he'd been drilled to not mention Snuka and had to repeat his Sammartino story several times instead.

So much confusing face or heel booking though - the aforementioned Jericho, Sheamus after the bell, faces ditching Paige, Big Show tribute, Rollins v Kane appears to have no babyface... Baffling. I know Triple H said "there are no heels and faces" but you still need to get behind someone.

Yeah the Sheamus/Rusev thing was rubbish. Why does Rusev keep working heel v heel stuff with alarming regularity lately? Face turn or leave it out, please

• Paid Members

I think Kane is supposed to the babyface.

Although the way the deck was stacked against Seth at the last PPV, with being made to defend his titles back to back (for no justifiable reason on a 3 hour show), getting lamped between matches and getting attacked after his (clean) win in his World title defence by two different monsters, for a total of four guys beating him up in one night.... you'd be forgiven for thinking Kane is the heel in that story and rooting for the plucky underdog.

It was what it was - a glorified house show with a good crowd and a mixed card.

I think people have to accept that these shows are ones that have one or two really interesting matches on top of a usual house show card, and not get their expectations too high.

I have absolutely no issue with Lesnar doing what he did and I'm definitely not bored of him being dominant, nor Heyman selling things so well. I love that they're a special attraction and that's exactly how I want Brock to be. I don't need anything 'competitive' to be honest.

I think Kane is supposed to the babyface.

Although the way the deck was stacked against Seth at the last PPV, with being made to defend his titles back to back (for no justifiable reason on a 3 hour show), getting lamped between matches and getting attacked after his (clean) win in his World title defence by two different monsters, for a total of four guys beating him up in one night.... you'd be forgiven for thinking Kane is the heel in that story and rooting for the plucky underdog.

I think somewhere in the last few months, the new Hollywood writers misunderstood something an agent said and assumed they'd been confusing heels and faces for years and are now trying to correct that mistake.

• Paid Members

I have absolutely no issue with Lesnar doing what he did and I'm definitely not bored of him being dominant, nor Heyman selling things so well. I love that they're a special attraction and that's exactly how I want Brock to be. I don't need anything 'competitive' to be honest.

Boom. Brock crushing people and it being a small miracle if anyone ever beats him by foul means or fair is 100% what makes him a big deal. He should hammer someone in Big Show's position on the totem pole. He should hammer most people.

Agree 100% that Cesaro didn't need to be fed to Big Show to try and make him look a threat for a match the whole planet knew he was going to lose. They could have had the same match with Zack Ryder or anyone, and it would have had the same (negligible) effect.

Archived