Has your interest in wrestling ever been lower?

tiger_rick

Its pretty much the Network and NXT keeping my interest up theses days, I do enjoy the PPVs still like but it kind of takes the magic away from them when they hold rematches over the next two nights at the TV tapings. Speaking of which I've got into the habit of watching Raw the day after, so I can skip through matches unless its something worth my time and never bother watching Smackdown (thank god for the top 10 videos on Youtube), Superstars or Main Event (last one being the one I was at last November). The only other WWE produced show that keeps my interest is Total Divas as its a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine to watch on a Wednesday morning

I gave up completely on TNA after the Ace's and Eights storyline ended, though I did see the episode that wrote off Dixie for a while when the Dudleyz put her through a table. I've dipped in and out of ROH but enjoyed what I've seen of it and I've not got into Lucha Underground though I keep hearing the first season was superb. As for BritWrest, I keep meaning to go to an Infinite Promotions show here in Liverpool but a lot of their recent shows fall on a Saturday when I am in work till late and I've seen bits and bobs from PCW (have the Part 5 bluray set) but nothing else there catches the eye 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Funny how often Royal Rumble and SummerSlam 1992 comes up on here and we casually discuss those great memories. And yet we have people who were only born that year. And, want to be scared shitles? They're now in their motherfucking twenties.

What makes me feel old is remembering watching the like of Mr Perfect, IRS, Jim Neidhart wrestling, and now seeing their kids doing it...

What makes me feel oldest is the simple fact that next year will be WrestleMania 32.

My interest has never been higher.........in watching old school stuff from my wrestling 'upbringing'. The WWE Network is the only thing remotely interesting about that corporate monster these days as it allows me to do just that.

Even shit stuff from 1980s/early 90s WWE & NWA/WCW seems more appealing than most of what they serve up now.

My interest was sparked again a few years ago with the CM Punk stuff and subsequent Daniel Bryan storyline/Mania moment but we're just back to the same old, same old despite their attempts to make it look like they're 'giving the kids a chance'. Brock Lesnar's appearances may be the diamond in a heap of rocks.

This past WM was maybe the tip of the iceberg as the egos of those in power couldn't just allow a wrestling icon (Sting) have his moment of success on the grand stage. And for it to happen with that bullshit sledgehammer gimmick really took the piss. Especially when he pops up seconds later and HUGS the guy who has supposedly just tried to kill him. FFS!!!

I'm not going to sit here and blow smoke up everyone's arse and say I don't watch or read at all but it's more I don't than I do right now. I can just take it or leave it.

• Paid Members

Yes. And I think it's simply because I dont treat the WWE as the end all, be all of professional wrestling. A crazy concept, I know. I fucked off TV years ago and I find I seem to enjoy the PPV's a hell of a lot more than most and I'm sure it's not a coincidence.

The UK scene is absolutely on fire at the moment. You can throw a rock and hit a good company now. The indies and Japan aren't quite as great as years gone by but there's still plenty to like with EVOLVE rebooting, PWG consistently being excellent, NJPW firing on all cylinders and companies like Dragon Gate and DDT reportedly doing great things and great business. Lucha has never been easier to watch with people like thecubsfan regularly uploading the various TV to YouTube.

Throw in the thousands of hours of vintage footage from Japan and various US territories that's been unearthed in the last 6 or so years and there's no excuse to completely fall out of love with wrestling. If WWE isn't doing it for you, switch it off and try something else.

This is my stance, has been for some years now.

I don't watch Raw, I just have a quick skim of the results during the last hours of my Monday night shift, so it's more to pass the time than anything else.

As I'm not being bombarded with shite for three hours per week (five if you count Smackdown), I enjoy the monthly 'specials' a hell of a lot more. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that jazz.

NXT and Lucha Underground were enough to keep my weekly appetite going, and even before they came around I was happy enough just DLing select matches.

What with New Japan being so accessible and my PWG addiction plus the copious amounts of cool shit on YouTube and Dailymotion, my interest is still quite high. I just find that variety is the spice to keep that wrestling magic alive, even if I don't watch as much as I used to.

• Paid Members

Its been at a rock bottom level for a good 18 months now. I still love reading and listening to things about wrestling, though. Love a good shoot interview or a bit of gossip, its just not interesting me. What I loved about wrestling for years was always the different things about it. Like when I'd wake up on a morning to watch the previous nights PPV and the set would look different and Billy Gunn would suddenly be wearing yellow trunks instead of blue. Or Road Dogg would have a new t-shirt which I'd think "that's going to look class on the new PSone game." Wrestling was sort of a big melting pot for my interests for years. Maybe its because I'm older now, but there isnt the millions of things that used to get me excited for it.

I lost interest around the time I started college in 2008. I guess it kept me busy and led to me drifting off it. Though I'd check in from time to time to see how things were and watched TNA Impact's ridiculously short lived run on Virgin 1 in late 2009. I got back into it around 2011 when Challenge started showing Impact and The Rock (my childhood idol by miles) coming back for appearances did it for me.

Superstars and Wrestling Challenge from 86-89 on Daily Motion and the odd Tuesday Night Titans is all i like at the moment. I'm past enjoying shoot interviews now, as i don't believe alot of the shite most wrestlers speak now, unless they're saying positive stuff.

If there was more Memphis about i'd be watching that alot.

Il tune in for the October Raw and Podcast after but thats all what is on the current horizon for me.

I still attend the odd Brit-Wres if its local.

Raw and SD and TNA are a waste of time generally.

• Paid Members

Thinking about it, I wonder if WWE should give the wrestlers a bit more creative input in their storylines? The main thing that's turned me off has been the lack of creativity in the bulk of the show. It feels like the writers concentrate all their efforts on getting the main event storylines right and while the rest of the show flounders. As good as the in ring work is, I just can't get interested in matches that feel like they've just been shoved on to fill up some TV time or feuds that are just guys exchanging wins and then having a blow off match.

I was watching Jericho listing his 1004 holds on the Network earlier and it reminded me just how good he was back then, and how much variety his segments added to Nitro. Unless he was talking shite in his books (possible), pretty much everything in those segments was his idea. New Day are more modern example, I suppose. They are amazing and it's their own creativity that has made the act what it is. Surely there's others on the roster who'd benefit from the same sort of opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, I realize that people can, and do, pitch ideas to Creative, I just wonder if creative needs to listen more and take more chances. Even a shit idea is still an idea and that's what is badly needed.

With ratings in the toilet, New Day's success might have opened doors a bit -- although the ratings were shit for their Raw main event too. But they said on their network show that they used to always go to creative with ideas and get shot down, whereas now they pretty much get the green light every time. There are lots of wrestlers on the roster who seem like they'd be great if they got to do some storylines.

• Paid Members

My interest in modern day wrestling is a funny one. I've never given less of a shit about the WWE, the last full show I watched was Wrestlemania and I can't be arsed about NXT either.

I end up reading the results on news sites, but I've reached the stage now where there are people on the main roster and I haven't a clue what they even look like.

The last time I was really invested in the product was HBK's retirement angle when he was desperate to avenge his defeat by the Undertaker, but that's ages ago by now.

That said, if I do stumble across TNA on Challenge I usually end up watching it and I also went out of my way to attend the second GFW show when I was in Vegas last month.

I subscribe to the the WWE Network, but that's exclusively for the archive programming really as its easier than fannying around with torrents etc. The only new programming I look out for are documentaries on old wrestlers or new series looking back at old events like Wrestlemania rewind. I thought the Mean Gene show, Table for Three, showed promise but I was gutted that its not only legends on there as they had the New Day on the latest episode. I really enjoyed the JBL interview with Eric Bischoff though, and look forward to part two.

So essentially, my wrestling interest now is confined to reading about the business, downloading shoot interviews and watching old stuff (currently 1996 Nitro episodes for the record).

Can't be arsed with current WWE at all these days. I skim through raw and the ppv's on watch wrestling but nothing really jumps out at me. Everything and everyone just seem really samey. I even find NXT meh for the most part, though I watch the specials.

I listen to Cabana or Austin if they've decent guests, and I just discovered the AE podcast which is quite enjoyable aside from the hosts annoying voice. But thats about it. Gone are the days of watching Raw, SD and TNA every week.

Archived