Has your interest in wrestling ever been lower?

tiger_rick

Only watch Raw these days and the PPVs but nothing much else. Have signed up to the WWE Network which I find is good value but don't follow anything else. 

Don't think I have watched two successive Smackdown shows in the last 5 years, its so missable that I don't think it impacts in any storylines at all. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm at a bit of a slump wrestling wise at the mo. I've gone from watching most PPV's and the odd Raw, to nowt save Mania/Rumble in terms of WWE. In terms of Britwres I've gone from following and going to at least 5 promotions on a regularish basis. PCW, Futureshock, Infinite,HXC and PAID to 3 shows in a year or so.

The guiding light in all of this is Lucha Underground, which I loved so much I bought the DVD set of. Is a perfect hour of wrestling, allows you to get involved without being bored. I'm sure it will change again, always does with something sucking me back in

• Paid Members

Nope.

There's been times when I've watched less wrestling but that was mainly been down to lack of access or time to watch. Even when I wasn't watching regularly, I'd still follow what was happening on PWinsider, the Observer or even in Power Slam in the pre-internet days. Nowadays, aside from the WWE Network, this is the only wrestling related site I check regularly, and I really only visit the Network to watch older stuff.

My interest in wrestling is still high...it's just a bit different. Still think the NXT specials are what I want wrestling to be, the main show (nxt I mean) hasn't been all that great in a while. It's ok. As for the current Raw product I want so badly to watch it weekly and care, because I like Reigns, Rollins, Wyatt, Rusev and a few others. I just want there to be some sort of revolution where all the shite goes away forever and McMahon's current idea of wrestling gets buried. This is not the time for Big Show and Kane to be front and centre for fucks sake. I don't really go on news sites or follow the gossip and backstage stuff and never really did. That stuff isn't for me. I do love hearing all the road stories and psychology stuff you get on the podcasts.

My love for wrestling is still there. Still watch anything history wise on the network. Still stick on a random ppv. Still listen to a lot of podcasts, so its a bit of a strange one. Can't wait for WWE 2k16 though. I'm an odd one...

Holy hell, yeah I forgot Lucha Underground. Every thursday I was so excited to watch it.

• Paid Members

Not at all. To be honest, my interest in current-day WWE hasn't been higher thanks to a WWE Network subscription and Sting’s run.

I’ve never really been a huge WWE follower. WCW was what got me in to wrestling, and neither of my parents had Sky so I didn't really have access to WWE. The only way I kept up with events was through the website, playing the games, and the odd videos friends would have and put on if I was at their house.

Now I have a Network subscription, I watch NXT religiously, and the PPVs. I still follow TV happenings via the WWE website though (and through the video recaps when a PPV rolls around).

• Awards Moderator

Stopped after Mania XX and didn't get back into it until the Nexus invasion in 2010.

We must be a tag team - that was the week I went on hiatus.

Incidentally, "on hiatus". That's a phrase you only ever hear in wrestling.

• Paid Members

At an all time low for me. Have given up going to live shows in the UK because the talent just isn't there. When people have decided Marty Scurll is a top of the card talent the game had pretty much gone. Had spent most of the last year watching Raw on 30x on sky+ don't even do that anymore.I do listen to the SCG podcast but that is about it. Nothing really interests me in wrestling anymore.

• Paid Members

Stopped after Mania XX and didn't get back into it until the Nexus invasion in 2010.

What did it for you? For me it was Brock leaving, Angle possibly retiring (which was rumoured at the time) and realising it probably wouldn't get better than the Eddie/SOMEBODY ELSE embrace after the main event.

• Awards Moderator

What did it for you? For me it was Brock leaving, Angle possibly retiring (which was rumoured at the time) and realising it probably wouldn't get better than the Eddie/SOMEBODY ELSE embrace after the main event.

Just to be clear, I left the week you came back. It was the week I finished working at Silver Vision, so I was over saturated. No better time to step away.

I finished after Wrestlemania 20 too, but it wasn't necessarily any storyline or anything that did it for me, I thought I'd just grown out of it. I got back into it around the time Eddie died, mostly out of curiosity and stuck with it afterwards. I didn't read the results or anything at that point, but I knew a few things like the fact that Cena and Batista won the titles.

My current interest is the lowest it's been since then. I put up with the dark days of 2009 and even spent 3-4 hours on a Tuesday evening torrenting it on my shitty uni wifi, but I can't put myself through it these days. I skim through the results every week, but I won't bother watching. I haven't watched a full episode of Raw since Wrestlemania, I've probably only watched only 1-2 hours worth since.

The highlight version of Raw they show on Sky One came on after something I was watching the other day, so I thought I'd give it a go. I turned it off after a few minutes because I couldn't stand the sound of Stephanie's voice.

• Paid Members

Mine has definitely been lower, but like others, that was mostly due to circumstances. In 05-06 I went to lots of BritWres shows whenever there were imports I wanted to see and was watching Raw every Monday and watching every PPV but then I started seeing and then moved in with a lass and priorities changed. I went to no shows later than August in 2006 and only 4 shows for the whole of 2007. Furthermore moving from a house with Sky and having the freedom to watch (or at least tape) every Raw and PPV, into a flat with no Sky, killed my interest in WWE close to dead. For essentially 3 years between 2006 and 2009 I read the PPV results on Rajah, couldn't be fucked with Raw unless I was visiting home for a weekend and barely watched any PPV other than the Rumble, No Way Out (once it picked up the Chambers) and WrestleMania. Maybe I'd find a match online if I heard good things about it, maybe once every three months, but I couldn't be arsed. I still bought the odd ROH DVD to watch when I was home alone, but WWE had nobody I was that arsed about at the time (more so after Benoit) or at least nobody worth making the effort for. I watched Mania 23 on Dailymotion and subsequent PPVs I wanted to watch, my mate would download for me and burn onto disc.

In terms of my interest today.... I don't watch the TV so the talent isn't overexposed to me which is one of the biggest problems the WWE roster has if you DO watch the TV. I whined for ages about "everyone has wrestled everyone so I've seen everything already" and realized the solution was obvious - don't watch the meaningless throwaway matches on Raw. In terms of how much I watch now.... since inheriting a (cough cough cough) account from a mate who now has the Network, since about SummerSlam last year I've watched probably 85-90% of the PPV shows/specials and kept some of them. So in that respect, my interest has been higher recently than most of the previous 7-8 years at least.

Would that pattern change if my lifestyle changed again, i.e. stumbled into another serious relationship? Probably. I love my rasslin but ultimately it's still disposable. It's never been my life, and it never will be.

As soon as I do the 'Raw is just meaningless matches which probably makes me enjoy PPVs less', something fucking great ALWAYS shortly happens soon after. Without fail.

Raw can be (well, is) a slog but there's nothing better than some hot shit going down there, and watching it live - or at least unspoiled.

Archived