An Evening With Hulk Hogan

Monkee

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whilst i know i'm not Mr Popular here i do take issue with some of this

e.g.

Shawn Michael's is very popular and gets all sorts of kudo's now despite being a known substance abuser in the past and also a questionable history with Woman when part of the Rocker's scene

And if Shawn, whilst on his recent tour, was spouting that he had a "Rate laff" with Marty in those days, he'd rightfully be in bother. Instead he admits he was a knob

Steve Austin: wife beating issues

See my earlier post on that in the thread.

Wrestling in general: An industry built by people with questionable behaviour's towards drugs, drink, woman, and the health of its practitioners!

Is everyone who has or does support these people bad???

Not really... but the long and short of it is that Hogan has attempted to justify what he said, as well as tweeting pics with him and his black mates and this tour is essentially a quick payday because his WWE work has dried up. Instead of taking time away from the limelight, he's after instant absolution.

Yes Hulk Hogan made a mistake, that i in no way condone but i don't believe for a second he should be ruined for it or that it diminishes his contribution a) to the industry or B) the enjoyed he has given millions of people, and prevent him from earning a living.

Hey, I'm watching 1996 WCW, and Hollywood Hogan is ace. But Terry Boella is so desperate for unanimous forgiveness and mainstream approval, he's just digging himself into a deeper hole. While I imagine the divorce had cleaned him out, there must be some TNA money and WWE earnings that mean he doesn't have to start shopping at the Venice Beach Lidl just yet, so he could have waited at least six months before going on this tour.

If we look at our genres, the tabloids are filled with people doing bad things and then promoting stuff the next week

so that's sport, music and film and all people who did 'bad' things and yet they were never banished from there industry and the majority went on to prosper massively and id argue done a whole lot worse.

Yep, stars are human, they screw up like the rest of us, and like I say the celebrity rehab can be a magical story. But at the end of the day, you've got a bloke who said that he didn't want his daughter marrying a black man while using a terrible racial slur, who while apologising out of one side of his mouth, has attempted to contextualise and justify it with the other.  

i think he should definitely be given a second chance and whats more those in the industry of a certain vintage should stop being hypocrites given the abuse that the likes of JYD received (and in some cases were brought in specifically for that 'heat').

Yep, but this is more than booking a person of a certain nationality to play of prejudices. This is a bloke who was recorded bemoaning the fact that his daughter was dating a certain ethnic minority, while using a slur and now seems to be desparate to both explain it away, and get forgiveness.

Whilst not justifying Hogan's actions I try not to blow this out of all proportion. He said something stupid but a lot of people do. Is he racist? Well he used the n word but he gets universal praise for how he deals with all cultures and backgrounds.

Funnily enough when Tracy Smothers chanted 'faggot' several years ago whilst a face ( getting all the kids in on the chant ) there was barely a ripple of annoyance.

People are often stupid. They also think things that they daren't say in a public forum. Everyone makes judgements based on race, religion, culture, sexuality, weight, disability etc. Anyone who claims not to is being a tad untruthful. The fact he is such a prominent star should have swayed his judgement but it clearly didn't.

The comparison with drug using, womanising stars is not really balanced. Most often the only person affected was the person themselves.

The world is full of racists, sexists, homophobes and any other category that wishes to diminish somebody due to a difference. In fact, everybody has those traits in themselves. If a new West Indian restaurant opened at the bottom of your street by some fella called Leroy, your natural instinct would say "Leroy is black". It's racist to think that but we all would. It's racist to label Barrack Obama as the first black US President, why do we need to label him as black when we can clearly see he is? It's sexist to label Thatcher as the first female Prime Minister.

It's the same reasons why Mark Bright gets to do the live coverage of the African Nations on the beeb, not because he's their number one pundit but because it's in Africa therefore we need a black person on it. It's why ITV4 used to have that Indian bird doing the IPL, yet I've never seen her on anything else. It's why Sky have women commentating on the women's cricket yet they're not allowed to appear on the men's game. It's a world full of people, especially in the public eye, who try to not be racist and sexist by doing everything that is essentially racist and sexist. Paul McGrath was racist when he said Glen Johnson, as a black person, should not have a worn a t-shirt in support of Suarez over the Evra row. It's racist for him to only pick out the black player as if none of the other Liverpool players were allowed to be offended by Suarez and not wish to support him.

I didn't stop supporting Liverpool Football Club because Suarez was judged to be a racist, I'm sure there's people who haven't stopped supporting Chelsea because of the train incident in Paris. So I can easily see the argument for people who won't stop supporting Hulk Hogan.

Hogan using the word nigger really doesn't bother me. It's a word I've grown up with in Liverpool 8. It's a word I've used with some of my black mates, it's a word that's been used as an insult to me (nigger-lover). Truth is I've never really enjoyed Hulk Hogan as a wrestler anyway, which is maybe why it doesn't bother me. All it really does is show his narrow mindedness. People trying to make a few quid off him in the wake of this scandal also doesn't bother me. It's why people are interested in a wife beating, drunk like Paul Gascoigne or wife beating, drunk like George Best or wife beating Geoff Boycott or public racists like Nigel Farage and Nick Griffin. Controversy Causes Cash and all that.

If you don't wanna go and see Hulk, you don't go to the gig.  

• Paid Members

It's racist to label Barrack Obama as the first black US President, why do we need to label him as black when we can clearly see he is? It's sexist to label Thatcher as the first female Prime Minister.

No it isn't.

It's racist to label Barrack Obama as the first black US President, why do we need to label him as black when we can clearly see he is? It's sexist to label Thatcher as the first female Prime Minister.

No it isn't.

Yes, it is.

It is labelling them by their sex or race. That is sexist and racist.

We don't need to be told George W Bush was the 43rd white President so why should we be told Obama is the first black? We don't need to be told David Cameron is the 75th male Prime Minster, so why should we told Thatcher was the first female?

In fact most don't even know what racism is. It's not racist to assume leroy who owns the restaurant is black if it's a West Indian restaurant because a lot of people from the West Indies ARE black!

People seem to think a descriptor is now racist. If someone called me a black guy that's nor racist it's a fact! Nor would it be to say black guys are more likely to commit violent crime against other black people, a white man is more likely to be a serial killer or a Chinese person is likely to commit fraud IF there is evidence to suggest it is true (they are only fictitious examples btw!)

In fact most don't even know what racism is. It's not racist to assume leroy who owns the restaurant is black if it's a West Indian restaurant because a lot of people from the West Indies ARE black!

People seem to think a descriptor is now racist. If someone called me a black guy that's nor racist it's a fact! Nor would it be to say black guys are more likely to commit violent crime against other black people, a white man is more likely to be a serial killer or a Chinese person is likely to commit fraud IF there is evidence to suggest it is true (they are only fictitious examples btw!)

Yes, it is.

We don't need to be told George W Bush was the 43rd white President so why should we be told Obama is the first black? We don't need to be told David Cameron is the 75th male Prime Minster, so why should we told Thatcher was the first female?

We don't need to be told these things, but that doesn't make them not true, so no, it's not racist or sexist. Now if you exclusively referred to Obama as "the black President" or to Thatcher as "The woman Prime Minister", that would be a different story.

Because it shows how far America has come as a nation that a man of colour is their commander in chief. It's the same nation that only 50 years ago was making black people sit at the back of the bus or have to stay outside of shops because they were 'Whites Only'.

Having said that, I honestly am struggling to think of a time immediately after he was the elected that Obama was referred to as "the first black president", it was a historic moment but it's not like it's part of in-ring intro

• Paid Members

No it isn't.

Yes, it is.

We don't need to be told George W Bush was the 43rd white President so why should we be told Obama is the first black? We don't need to be told David Cameron is the 75th male Prime Minster, so why should we told Thatcher was the first female?

That's not what racism is.

Shawn Michael's is very popular and gets all sorts of kudo's now despite being a known substance abuser in the past and also a questionable history with Woman when part of the Rocker's scene

I'd pay to see that show, it sounds fucking awesome and loads better than listening to him talk about God for a bit

Archived