An Evening With Hulk Hogan

Monkee

• Paid Members

I've said in other threads that what he said bothers me less than what he's done since. I can forgive a lot if its a mistake. We've all made them. Its just his attitude towards it is quite sickening. The "here's me with a black bloke" retweets and the blatantly obvious lie about how he grew up saying "my nigga" to Horace's Dad on the streets of southern America in the 50s and 60s, because that was the norm. Of all the ways he could have tried to rehab his public image, he went for the "just lie and ride it out" option. No real apologies. That's why I find this whole thing depressingly bad from him. He makes Jade Goody look like Eric Cantona. Dont think for a minute he wont be back in the WWE eventually either. They fired him because he was caught. Not because he was racist.

They're all cunts, though, sadly. Hogan, Warrior, Piper, Savage, Andre, Bulldog, Bret, Shawn, Jake, Vince. Everyone we grew up with are pure shit heads. Such a wonderful era as well, yet most of that period I grew up watching has so many arseholes in it.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I imagine royalties from the network still go to Hogan too.

AFAIK, no wrestlers get any royalties for the Network. The official logic seems to be that you can't prove a Network customer paid for a specific thing like you can with a PPV main event or a profile DVD and the unofficial logic is that the wrestlers cant or wont do anything about it.

• Paid Members

They're all cunts, though, sadly. Hogan, Warrior, Piper, Savage, Andre, Bulldog, Bret, Shawn, Jake, Vince. Everyone we grew up with are pure shit heads. Such a wonderful era as well, yet most of that period I grew up watching has so many arseholes in it.

All cunts, agreed. But most in ways you can live with. Warrior being a raging homophobe and Savage being an unstable mysogonist won't spoil WM7. Bulldog pumping himself full of shit and Bret shagging rats doesn't spoil SummerSlam 92. I can separate that shit.

I can barely watch Benoit now. Everything is tainted. Others might be able to. I just can't. I've never seen that much of Snuka but I've often wondered if he is a murderer while watching him. Again harder to separate.

Not a chance I'm paying any money to meet any of these cunts though.

I imagine royalties from the network still go to Hogan too.

AFAIK, no wrestlers get any royalties for the Network. The official logic seems to be that you can't prove a Network customer paid for a specific thing like you can with a PPV main event or a profile DVD and the unofficial logic is that the wrestlers cant or wont do anything about it.

Credit to Punk for walking out then, that is simply ridiculous.  Am I right in thinking that some wrestlers (Joe, Balor immediately spring to mind) would actually be better off financially just staying in Florida and working NXT tapings than being someone like one of Los Matadors having opening matches on Raw/Smackdown every other week but having to pay for their accomodation/car hire?

It's never easy trying to stay on the right side.

So it would appear. Does your crusade begin and end with wrestling, or do you apply it to other aspects of your life? For example, do you buy a mobile phone before thoroughly checking out the ethics of the provider and handset maker? Do you buy clothes before checking to see if they've been made in a completely ethical manner?

Shit, what if something you bought was made by a factory worker who beat his wife or who uses racist language? That kind of shit must keep you awake at night.

No more than the straw man you've constructed to assuage your own guilt, it seems.

Guilt? I feel fuck all guilt for enjoying the character that Hogan played for years on WWF television, and I'll continue to enjoy it. The Hogan character that we all know & love is completely different from Hogan the man who's a pathological liar, who explained away his sons shambolic driving accident by suggesting God wanted to punish the passenger in the car or something like that, and who thinks he slammed a man with acromegaly who weighed 700lbs and who died 25 minutes after their match.

The truth is, he's most likely not sorry at all. He's only sorry because he got caught.

People need to realise that he's a cunt (alongside many of the cunts we see in pro wrestling today, and have seen in the past) and simply accept it. What's the point in getting all indignant about him having the cheek to try and make a buck, and getting all righteous about promoters who are happy to use him to make money?

Most of us have been around the block enough times to know how this industry works. I'd wager that more than Hogan from that era was a racist, so unless we're looking to go down the same route as mental Linus and apply some outrageous standard to how we approach our entertainment I don't really see the point.

As you say Chest, should we really expect any different?

Hogan blew it the minute he wanted that 2000's fame and reality 'all I need to is walk around my house and I'll get rich' bullshit. He wasn't smart enough to understand that the Osbourne's reality show was great because Ozzy was genuinely mental and thats why people loved it. Plus it was pretty much the first one. Hogan just thought that if he put his name to it and did his 'work' he would endear himself to the millions of idiots that watch that shit. I mean, why wouldn't middle America want to see Brian Knobb's and Hulk go on some random and scripted escapade.

Ever since 2005 he has been in one disaster after another. I still struggle to comprehend he calls to his son when he was in Jail, they are vile.

Yeah, pre 2005 he probably was also an utter dummy but you wouldn't see it. It was just bitter people in the biz telling us. But Hogan himself ruined his legacy by needing fame, needing acceptance outside of Wrestling.

Pillock.

Stop overreacting. He is a wrestling legend. Like I said everyone does and says things they should not. That also goes for the people who are now on a high horse trying to crucify Hogan.

He's doing that himself to be fair.  

This the Internet.   Folks have differences of opinion - if you're going to see him, enjoy it,   But there are folks who won't and are willing to say why.  

I have a tough time going to RevPro shows with AJ Styles on them because of his views on homosexuality but he seems to have at least learned to keep them more private than he used to.

Hulk Hogan wasn't shouting nigger from the rooftops, was he? Not with his knees and back as bad as they are. He's only been outed as a dirty old racist because what he thought were private conversations were recorded, years ago at that. If you're using the "behind closed doors is fine, just not in front of me" logic to condone supporting bigots, you might as well buy a ticket to this. As long as you have a tough time when you're there it's justifiable, apparently.

• Paid Members

I have a tough time going to RevPro shows with AJ Styles on them because of his views on homosexuality but he seems to have at least learned to keep them more private than he used to.

Hulk Hogan wasn't shouting nigger from the rooftops, was he? Not with his knees and back as bad as they are. He's only been outed as a dirty old racist because what he thought were private conversations were recorded, years ago at that. If you're using the "behind closed doors is fine, just not in front of me" logic to condone supporting bigots, you might as well buy a ticket to this. As long as you have a tough time when you're there it's justifiable, apparently.

No-one said it was an exact science. I have a problem with Hogan because he's 1) been outed as a racist who would use the word nigger as an insult, and 2) his efforts at "apologising" are risible.

Styles, as far as I'm aware, said some things back then and I don't like what he said. The tough time I have is in deciding whether to go. I did and I will again because Styles isn't the draw for me - if he pulled out I wouldn't care. However, if he went on a tirade, or a recording of something equivalent to what Hogan said emerged, even from years ago, I would withdraw my custom from any company employing him.

But, yeah, I'm on trial here :)

• Paid Members

Bill Burr on his podcast made a good point on Hogan "what did you think he thought?" As Ian said, so many wrestlers from that era are awful human beings. A bloke of Hogan's age saying what he said is about as surprising as your Grandad saying it for me.

It's unbelievable how badly he's handled it since but personally, I think we might as well all stop watching wrestling if you want to start thinking about all the terrible things every wrestler ever has said in private.

I'll step in to help Linus on this one.

There's a difference between going to a show where one of the performers has done stuff of a questionable nature and going to a show which is specifically for the person who's been an arse.

Going to a Rev Pro card with AJ Styles on it or a Southside event with Bram being booked can be partially squared - though one of those has questionable morals while the other is facing criminal charges - but to pay money to specifically see someone who is an admitted racist and has shed crocodile tears while trying to blame everyone else instead of just fully taking the responsibility seems a bit off.

whilst i know i'm not Mr Popular here i do take issue with some of this

e.g.

Shawn Michael's is very popular and gets all sorts of kudo's now despite being a known substance abuser in the past and also a questionable history with Woman when part of the Rocker's scene

Steve Austin: wife beating issues

Wrestling in general: An industry built by people with questionable behaviour's towards drugs, drink, woman, and the health of its practitioners!

Is everyone who has or does support these people bad???

Yes Hulk Hogan made a mistake, that i in no way condone but i don't believe for a second he should be ruined for it or that it diminishes his contribution a) to the industry or B) the enjoyed he has given millions of people, and prevent him from earning a living.

If we look at our genres, the tabloids are filled with people doing bad things and then promoting stuff the next week

some noteworthy offenders from past and present:

Chris Brown: deplorable violence towards more than one woman and yet people (woman artists) still want to work with him, as do the record labels and his music still gets air time and played on TV. 

Pete Doherty: for a spell seeming to get arrested daily for major hardcore drug offences, and admitting to injecting girls with heroin and yet avoids jail, and still popular with the ladies and fans

Sean Connery: In his biography stated if a woman gets out of hand she needs a good slap and yet was, and is a Hollywood icon

Elvis: known to be sleeping with 14-15 year old girls and yet never gets villified for it and is a global icon.

Oliver Reed: You name it

Wayne Rooney: Caught cheating on his gf and sleeping with prostitutes and the next week gets a bumper mega millions Man Utd contract extension

Robert Downey Junior: Now the biggest star in Hollywood earning 100m a year and 10 years ago was in nick with a history of drugs and arms offences (including running a mock naked in someones garden with a shotgun)

so that's sport, music and film and all people who did 'bad' things and yet they were never banished from there industry and the majority went on to prosper massively and id argue done a whole lot worse.

i think he should definitely be given a second chance and whats more those in the industry of a certain vintage should stop being hypocrites given the abuse that the likes of JYD received (and in some cases were brought in specifically for that 'heat').

Archived