Best ever heel in WWF/E?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I don't think you can look any further than Jerry Lawler. He was utterly committed to being an offensive, slimy coward. He was utterly risible and drew most of his heat just from having a motor mouth. It wasn't just cheap heat, it was observant, often funny but nothing anyone wanted to hear. He was a terribly mug victor and an awful loser and he brilliantly expressed it not just through words but through his brilliant expressions.

His work was great. Full of dirty moves, taunts and smug faces. People were just desperate to see him lose. No matter who the opponent, it always meant something. They knew that if he lost, he'd be hurt and he'd throw a fit. They loved that. He showed arse like no-one else knowing the importance of selling the commupence.

We all know he's a proper worker. His selling is first class, his offence is tight and his punches are legendary. His facial expressions and body language whether he was winning or losing were incredible too. No-one has ever got so much heat with no short cuts, no massive angles, no weapons, no criminal activity.

He was fantastic....ally hideous.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking of Lawler, he worked perfectly in the cartoony era and would have got as much if not more heat doing the same role at time of Attitude era

Really though, I think this thread should add a 'sans Vince' or regular wrestlers only stipulation because Vince's the greatest heel bar none for me.

Yes, but that's your opinion. Why don't you elaborate further as to why you think he is?

you should check out some of his stuff, he was really good

(maybe later, I'm off out soon so don't wanna start writing something big, and there's probably [read: definitely] people here better placed to do so anyway)

I was thinking of Lawler, he worked perfectly in the cartoony era and would have got as much if not more heat doing the same role at time of Attitude era

Apologies for going slightly off-topic this early, but Jerry Lawler turning up in the ECW Arena for the first time (WrestlePalooza 1997) is a good example of how his character fared in the Attitude era.

Security clearly shitting themselves believing some fans were going to jump the railing while Lawler is in the ring slagging off the company, the wrestlers, the fans, and the building itself was an amazing segment.

"This building should have been built out of toilet paper ... because there's nothing in it but shit!"

In fairness, the stuff Lawler was saying in '96 was pretty close to the knuckle even as a precursor to the attitude era.   , especially when he's walking down to ringside pointing out fans and ripping them to shreds.   This isn't Ric Flar in the centre of the ring pointing where the camera can't see threatening to steal someone's girl friend, Lawler gets straight in their faces and throws out off the cuff insults.   I can't see them all being "plants".   He told one girl that she was "the reason why some people are like Goldust".    

I think Triple H is the best heel ever. Besides the wrestling aspect, becoming a high placed office member/ practically the boss of the company by marrying the daughter of the owner always rubs people the wrong way in ways other wrestlers can not by being their wrestling persona. 

Second best... maybe the Honky Tonk Man. He got the most out of the least, was a powerful, cowardly heel and had a strong, long run on top. 

• Paid Members

Although two of my favourite five wrestlers ever were 'cool heels' (Flair and Superstar Graham) due to the bonkers charisma both had, I think the best heels are in that Lawler mid 90's mould of being totally uncool, unpleasant and not cheered by the crowd.

I'm going to go with late 80's Million Dollar Man. Total twat with no redeeming features. A loaded and arrogant bully who was totally willing to take any shortcut whatsoever to win. Helped that, like Lawler, Dibiase was really good at selling, particularly before his back totally caved in. The perfect heel for the WWF cartoon years and the owner of the greatest evil laugh in wrestling history.

• Paid Members

Jake Roberts as the Devil Incarnate from 1991 is my fave heel run. Though long term it's Lawler, I still laugh when he's on crutches and calls Bret Hart a coward.

DiBiase, especially treating people like shit was a phenomenon as a heel, just looked so smug. Heenan was like Lawler for me,the utter coward who could be frighteningly devious when required, with that palm greased showbiz sleazy con man thrown in. I'd also throw in 1996 heel Steve Austin was a badass but also a real piece of shit gobshite until they started marking the turn in 1997. Oh and 94-97 Owen Hart, whinging git.

Vince for sure. Without Vince we wouldn't have had the biggest boom period in wrestling and what many consider, though possibly through rose tinted glasses, the greatest era ever and the one that everything from now on just be judged against (unfortunately). Just further truth that storylines, angles and characters are far more important than flips, flops, punching each other for real and falling on your head.

I never, at that time anyway, felt that Vince buried the talent and the people in his programs like Steph and HHH do. Later on sure. But when he was at his best and drawing boat loads of money he had no problem looking like a tit and doing the right thing.

• Paid Members

Heel Rock was so charming and funny he just ceased to be heel after a while.

He was fucking superlative in his role as a heel, but I found myself loving him more and more with each passing week, both in his first run as The Rock and then this:

Same with Mr.Perfect. Absolutely sublime as a theoretical heel, but ultimately was too likeable and cool.

Triple H for me, for reasons mentioned here and elsewhere on the interweb. The man could infuriate the fuck out of me when he was in his pomp, and I wanted to like him because, well...HHH...but when he was full on heel for all those years, he was so good at being a prick that it was impossible to root for him in any way, shape or form. That to me is a true baddy.

My all time favourite heel (apologies for the oxymoron there, chaps) was Tully Blanchard. And I put that on our Butcher. Butcher said something ages ago on here about him and I watched it...and kept watching clips of him. Merciful hour, Blanchard was despicable when he wanted to be.

Triple H. He was the heel when the top babyfaces were Rock and Austin, and he absolutely convinced at their level. If the boom period makes the top babyfaces the best babyfaces ever, the same applies to the top heel.

My favourite was Edge from 2005-2009, though. Slimy, cowardly, willing to go to any length to escape with a belt, and so entertaining with it.

Archived