UFC 192: Cormier vs Gustafsson

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The funny thing about the Northcutt and opponent pictures is the differing faces of the ring girl behind. She's all smiles behind Northcutts foetal abs, and yet is stood behind the other bloke talking to her mate like 'so what's this? A make-a-wish type deal?'

As for Cormier/Gustaffson, I'm like Wand I can't really see how Gus wins this one. That said, I've just got a feeling he will pull it out. I know that makes no sense but, oh well. Maybe he'll catch him on the way in or something, with a lucky uppercut or knee. I've got a gut feeling, tis all.

Also, hilariously, Tyron Woodley weighed in anyway. For shits and giggles.

They should go all pro-wrestling and give him a mystery opponent.

• Paid Members

Trevino himself is 12-1, i can't recall seeing him fight but he doesn't seem any easy fight for Northcutt on paper. I'm assuming that Trevino has the kind of style that's gonna lend towards Northcutt unleashing his flashy shit, likely a come forward plodder. Anyone seen him fight?

As for his physique, he looks like the kind of guy that's lost a lot of weight, i expect he was a bit of a tubster back in the day.

...quick google search shows that Trevino used to fight at 205lb.

• Paid Members

He fought on the FOX Sports prelims of a PPV recently so you've most certainly seen him. Can't be bothered to check but I want to say UFC 188 in Mexico, would make sense given his Mexican sounding name.

From memory he isn't shit but he wasn't anything to write home about either. Perfectly fine as a debut opponent for someone like Northcutt though. This is about the level of opposition he should be in with really. Tough durable guys who will test him a bit.

If this Northcutt kid can put together some decent wins he's got all the makings of a star, hasn't he? I get what some people are saying about his age, but that shouldn't come into it if he thinks he has the credentials.

Also, he's part of the new breed, and I don't think it'll be long before we see the fighters getting younger and younger.

Yeah, I'm with you David.

MMA is still in this weird transition period where you do need to be an elite athlete compared to the early years, but you can still get in to it quite late providing you're genetically gifted and can dodge injuries.

As it becomes more in line with mainstream sports, the idea that you could pick it up at 25/26 (or even 28 in Manuwa's case) and get to an elite level will seem ridiculous.

I've said it elsewhere on here, but this kid is the start of the next evolution of MMA, win or lose.

It also puts into greater focus how ridiculous the whole CM Punk deal is..

Yeah, I'm with you David.

MMA is still in this weird transition period where you do need to be an elite athlete compared to the early years, but you can still get in to it quite late providing you're genetically gifted and can dodge injuries.

As it becomes more in line with mainstream sports, the idea that you could pick it up at 25/26 (or even 28 in Manuwa's case) and get to an elite level will seem ridiculous.

I've said it elsewhere on here, but this kid is the start of the next evolution of MMA, win or lose.

It also puts into greater focus how ridiculous the whole CM Punk deal is..

Boxing still has late starters though like Adonis Stevenson.

It might become a mainstream sport but like boxing you are never going to see the numbers picking the sport up and competing like say football or basketball because of how tough and dangerous it is. They might become less frequent but I think MMA will still have guys and girls starting MMA late or crossing over from amateur wresting, kickboxing, Judo etc in their 20's for a long time .

The Punk thing is mental though.

Anything worth watching in particular on the bt prelims? Otherwise I'll be playing fifa till 3.

Got the fight pass on ESPN on for the first time ever to see Northcutt quality's surprisingly great for the stream..

That Main Event was a stonker.

I had Cormier winning 49-46. But I can see how others had it closer (a lot on twitter had Gusty winning rounds 2 and 3, and I felt round 4 was quite close). D.C has now beaten the two top active fighters at 205lbs, and in my opinion, beat Gusty a bit more convincingly than Jones did. I think Jones vs D.C 2 has some serious legs to it. 

The rest of the Main Show was pretty unremarkable. Although Eye vs Pena was a fun opener. 

• Paid Members

Fantastic main event. I had it 4-1 DC. Despite the knee that wobbled DC, DC landed far more and caused more damage that round. How you view that determines whether you have it 4 to 1 or 3-2.

Fuck I'm tired..better get my 20 mins before my son wakes up.

Archived