UFC 192: Cormier vs Gustafsson

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Shite.

Kidney stones are a cunt alright. My brother had them and he was literally rolling about on the floor in agony.

On another note, Jon Jones is getting his shit together apparently;

vcU6y.jpg

He posted that on his Instagram today. I don't think it's any coincidence that he's posted this the same week that Cormier and Gustafsson are fighting for his title.

I wonder if Jones will be at the PPV tomorrow night actually? I hadn't even thought of it before but I wouldn't be surprised.

• Paid Members

Benavidez vs Bagautinov has been bumped to the PPV. So I'm assuming one of the Fight Pass prelims will be moved up to the FOX Sports 1 prelims now. Hopefully we'll get the Northcutt fight.

Here's the current card as it stands now;

PPV MAIN CARD

Daniel Cormier vs Alexander Gustafsson - Light Heavyweight Title

Rashad Evans vs Ryan Bader

Shawn Jordan vs Ruslan Magomedov

Jessica Eye vs Julianna Pena

Joseph Benavidez vs Ali Bagautinov

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS

Yair Rodriguez vs Dan Hooker

Alan Jouban vs Albert Tumenov

Rose Namajunas vs Angela Hill

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

Chris Cariaso vs Sergio Pettis

Derrick Lewis vs Viktor Pesta

Adriano Martins vs Islam Makhachev

Francisco Trevino vs Sage Northcutt

• Paid Members

Fuck, say what you want about Bendo but the man's got some balls on him. Always ready to go regardless of notice or how tough the opponent is. Nutter.

I wonder what Nick Diaz thinks about all this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=X0A3TBVdaLc

:laugh:

I think Rashad will surprise us tomorrow.

Rashad usually does well against wrestlers (I.E 2nd fight against Tito, Davis, and Sonnen). While Bader did beat Davis, it was not a special performance. It was a dull fight, and neither fighter really did much to assert themselves. I think Rashad will be a bit too quick for Bader, and get the better of the striking exchanges.

The lay-off is a worry, but I am fairly confident Rashad will do enough to win handily.

• Paid Members

That's shit news. I think quite a few fighters are going to have to rethink what weight they fight at in the coming months.

I'm guessing you mean because of the IV ban? The thing is this wasn't anything to do with that. He didn't even make the weight to begin with.

Hendricks just doesn't look after himself between fights. He did in the last camp it seems by keeping his weight down, but it seems he couldn't be arsed with it for this camp.

Fighters need to look at Daniel Cormier if they want to fight at a weight class that's tough to make.

Since dropping to 205 Cormier keeps a lot of the weight off all year round and seems disciplined with his diet outside of the odd Popeye's blowout.

• Paid Members

I hate Ben Henderson as much as the next guy, but credit is due. The guy is always willing to save the day and take a fight on short notice. Have they definitely not allowed him to replace Hendricks? I'd love to see that. It would seriously shake up the rankings if he somehow managed to win.

EDIT: Sounds from this interview like they might force Hendricks to fight at 185 from now on.

• Paid Members

In case anyone hasn't seen it, here's the Countdown segment for DC vs Gus;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=LrZtWF9kr38

And the weigh in;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=CVZBqmZJG_w

I'm actually really into this show now it's here. Despite the Hendricks vs Woodley fight falling out.

0uqhP.jpg

Cormier vs Gustafsson - I've had the same gut feeling ever since this fight was booked and it hasn't changed. I'm yet to really hear or read an argument for Gus winning that I could envision actually happening. Not discounting his skills, I just think the style of matchup is all wrong for him. He did look in tremendous condition at the weigh in though. Probably the best shape I've ever seen him in. But Cormier did too, he looked so happy and energetic and even said he'd had his "best weight cut ever". I hope Gus can make it a bit of a war but I've got a feeling DC shuts him down. - Cormier on points

oCFEW.jpg

The Bader vs Evans weigh in staredown was intense. It's a bit of a tricky one this, only because of how long Rashad's been on the bench. Two years is a long time to be out of a sport like MMA as it is, but Rashad is also 36 years old and has had a rough run of injuries. Skills-wise I think Rashad is superior in pretty much ever way. He's faster, I think his MMA wrestling is better, his striking is more fluid and he's a smart fighter. Bader is stiff as fuck and a bit of a one-trick pony. But in fairness, he does that one trick well. I'm almost 50/50 on this one, purely because I'm unsure what we're getting with Rashad here. Before the layoff he was getting back in form with the Hendo and Sonnen wins, now it's like someone pressed reset and he's back to square one. I hope he wins though, more than any other result on the card, I just hope Rashad stops Bader's little run.

It was great to see the warm reception Rashad got at the weigh in as well. It took a long time for fans to warm to him but I think he's grown on people over time with his work as an analyst for FOX and stuff. Fuck it, Rashad on points.

7aBh.jpg

Eye vs Pena - Kind of like the Rashad case, I'm not sure about Pena. She looked good on TUF two years ago but that massive layoff with the knee injury took a big chunk out of her momentum. She returned with a win earlier this year but her opponent was shit so it's hard to take much from it. This will be the true test. Jessica Eye is no joke. She's tough and has solid striking. She's got a bit of a mean streak about her as well. If Pena can get by her, she's on her way to contender fights. It's an important one. I'm really not sure though. Just a hunch but I think Eye night prove a bit too much for her right now. If Pena can turn it into a ground fight she'll do alright but she's sloppy in the striking and I see Eye capitalising on that. - Eye by decision.

0MRzS.jpg

Rodriguez vs Hooker - This is one of the sleeper fights on the card for me. It's not getting much attention but I can see it stealing the show. Rodriguez had a brilliant fight with Charles Rosa at UFC 188 where he was busting out all sorts of flashy shit. And Hooker is granite and knocked out Hatsu Hioki in his last fight. I love the way these two matchup and my prediction is a complete shot in the dark but - Rodriguez by KO in the FOTN.

Oh and if Hooker wins they MUST book him vs the winner of Bang vs Kuntz. Right? Just makes sense.

ebPYM.jpg

Jouban vs Tumenov - this is my other pick to possibly steal the show. Jouban is one to keep an eye on. Trains under Eddie Bravo and has looked great so far in the UFC. Especially in his awesome fight with Matt Dwyer in July. Very exciting to watch. And he's in with a badass Russian. If Tumenov is the guy I'm thinking of he's a right handful. At a time when we're bombarded with newcomers on the prelims, these guys and the above Rodriguez/Hooker fight are actually ones worth getting excited about. They all show legitimate potential to be future contenders, in my opinion. - Jouban by decision

1Ga2t.jpg

Namajunas vs Hill - This is the kind of fight both girls need. They're both coming off losses where their own performances were disappointing. But together their styles should mesh well. Both like to stand and strike and both are creative in the standup. I think Rose has more tools in other areas though and that should make the difference. - Rose by submission

Oh and this;

fHDK.jpg

Northcutt on the scales looking like the Ultimate Warrior Hasbro. Then his opponent Trevino shuffles out...

aOIFT.jpg

...with my fucking dad's physique and missed weight by 4lbs.

Archived