UFC 192: Cormier vs Gustafsson

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the best Rashad Evans beats the best Ryan Bader but he's coming in off a long lay off and Bader is on a bit of a tear so I can see an upset there. I hope I'm wrong though!

Yeah that's another real tough one to call. Really up in the air on that.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

This Sage Northcutt fight really is an odd one. 

I think back to when I was 19 years old and it just seemed I had so much growing up to do.

Bare in mind Mike Tyson had only just turned 20 when he won the World Title and was 28-0 at the time, if you're good enough you're old enough.

• Paid Members

Tyson was a freak though, physically and talent-wise, for his age.

Bear in mind, this is what Tyson looked like at 15 years old...

hyqWi.jpg

Ridiculous. My nephew is 15 and, needless to say, he looks fuck all like that. Tyson had the physique and even the facial features of a fully grown man in his mid-twenties when he was mid-teens. And that coupled with some of the best training he could've ever gotten from the likes of Cus D'Amato, Teddy Atlas and Mickey Rooney - he was a can't miss breakout star. Him being a mental midget and a trainwreck with a bully mindset fucked him up as a fighter. Physically he was a freak athlete. To be as successful as he was as a stunted heavyweight showed that.

Northcutt looks like a good prospect but we'll see. He might rise to the occasion, it's not like he's stepping straight out of school into the octagon or something. He's got experience for his age. But we're talking a UFC debut, at 19 years old and in your backyard. That's a daunting challenge for anyone. And 'octagon jitters' are real. Monsters like Rampage and Cro Cop, who had fought on absolutely massive cards in Japan, have admitted in the past that they were a bit thrown off the first time they fought in the UFC.

Fuck knows what happens with Northcutt. Really, it's not even something you can predict properly. He could rise to the challenge or fold under the pressure.

• Paid Members

I think back to when I was 19 years old and it just seemed I had so much growing up to do.

Bare in mind Mike Tyson had only just turned 20 when he won the World Title and was 28-0 at the time, if you're good enough you're old enough.

What's Mike Tyson got to do with it though Ebb? This is me not particularly feeling all too comfortable seeing a 19 year old kid possibly get the shit kicked out of him. As Wand says, Tyson looked like a beast, whilst Northcutt looks and sounds like a kid, outside of the ridiculous 6 or 8 pack. He may well be good enough, but that's not the point. 

Northcutt has just turned 19 too, when I was just 19 I was entering university getting a student loan and blowing the whole thing in a week on booze and a cd player. 

I'm not saying this is a disgrace, far from it. I actually think he's going to win. However, the thought of possibly seeing a 19 year old beaten up doesn't feel right either. 

A couple of years ago before I had a baby son, I know I wouldn't have said this, so I guess I'm growing soft as a Dad. 

Re-hydrating with an IV is probably more mental when you think about it.

That's what I meant. The effects it's having on people's build and that. I know there's other factors involved though.

Speaking from personal experience some of you may find it interesting but I've had numerous IV drips in that are glucose and saline. Pretty much what Fighters where using before the ban to rehydrate, different context as I have it due to being unwell but still. There absolutely brutal on your body though. The second your off the drip you feel like your in a desert with nothing to drink and spend roughly 5 days constantly desprete for water at random points, you can physically feel the difference in your body. The more I think about it it's kind of surprising how Fighters would make it through roinds at points without drinking until the bells caused for a break.

What's Mike Tyson got to do with it though Ebb? This is me not particularly feeling all too comfortable seeing a 19 year old kid possibly get the shit kicked out of him. As Wand says, Tyson looked like a beast, whilst Northcutt looks and sounds like a kid, outside of the ridiculous 6 or 8 pack. He may well be good enough, but that's not the point.

Northcutt has just turned 19 too, when I was just 19 I was entering university getting a student loan and blowing the whole thing in a week on booze and a cd player.

I'm not saying this is a disgrace, far from it. I actually think he's going to win. However, the thought of possibly seeing a 19 year old beaten up doesn't feel right either.

A couple of years ago before I had a baby son, I know I wouldn't have said this, so I guess I'm growing soft as a Dad.

It's more odd out there due to their drinking age and that being considerably higher than ours. Still though I see your point about his age but as I mentioned earlier I just view it in the same way young football players and rugby players make big leagues over here. And then it doesn't seem so strange IMO.

• Paid Members

Mike Tyson's got nothing to do with it, im just saying just cause he's 19 doesn't mean he can't fight, age is decieving. Jon Jones was Northcutt's age when he made his UFC debut too.

...and yes, i think you're getting soft :laugh:

and with regards to wand's comments about Mike Tyson's freak physique at a young age...

sage-northcutt.jpg

take the head off that and how many 18/19 year old kids do you know with pyshique's like that, look at the fucking legs on the boy.

• Paid Members

True and I agree that you can't count him out because of his age. Of course not. But the likes of Tyson and Jones are a rare breed that only come around once in a generation. It's pointless comparing Northcutt to names like that. If Northcutt didn't look like a Home & Away cast member he wouldn't be getting half the hype he is.

Predictions for the top three fights, I'm going with;

Cormier on points

Hendricks on points

Rashad on points

Lots of points.

What I'm hoping for;

Cormier by whatever. I like Gus so don't particularly want to see him get battered.

Woodley by demolition.

Rashad by smash via the old Liddell KO punch.

• Paid Members

Woodley by demolition, whats making you think that wand? I quite fancy Woodley but a wrestle heavy Hendricks may see him go into his shell a little and fade down the stretch.

Oh...what you're hoping for! I read it wrong.

• Paid Members

It's more odd out there due to their drinking age and that being considerably higher than ours. Still though I see your point about his age but as I mentioned earlier I just view it in the same way young football players and rugby players make big leagues over here. And then it doesn't seem so strange IMO.

I see what you're saying, but I can't put combat sports into the same league as football and Rugby players. Whilst both are obviously tough, especially Rugby, the aim of the game is not hurting your opponent. The same can't be said with MMA.

In relation to the above posts, I unfortunately think Hendricks with school Woodley as well. Woodley's only shot is a big punch. I think Hendricks just puts everything together far better than Woodley. I'm hoping I'm wrong as Hendricks really is a whiny horrible cunt.

Archived