UFC 192: Cormier vs Gustafsson

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Think this is the most interested I've been in watching fight pass prelims other than the British shows. Really look forward to seeing if Sage is the business.

Also to clarify they start at 6pm EST on Fight Pass. So 11pm our time.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, still think UFC could do more of this or at least do some different stuff compared to the countdown show that seems to me a bit dull after you've seen a few. All the same shit being spilled out about Fighters.

Getting that mix of creating a bit of a story like pro-wrestling does but not making it gimmicky but still keeping convincing is difficult. McGregor Aldo is basically spot on though.

it goes to show how far a tiny bit of hype and small little videos can stir up interest in fighters than otherwise would be 'faceless' prelim fighters.

Kind of like when I was saying a while back that the promoter should be doing more to actually promote their fighters, rather than just putting the onus on the fighter themselves to talk their way into the discussion.

This is evidence that if they really wanted to, they could. Not for every fighter of course, but imagine if they did something similar for maybe two or three prospects every six months or so?

• Paid Members

Yep, they should. The content itself is out there if you go looking for it. If you google any UFC prelim fighter im pretty sure you'll find enough content on him to get you interested in watching him/her fight. The difference with the Sage Northcutt video is that it has the UFC stamp of approval on it. Northcutt himself is a fairly unique prospect, but i would like to see the UFC to do more to push some of the lesser known guys.

Part of Northcutts attraction though is that he's so young isn't it? At least that's what interests me. He's coming in 5-0 to the big leagues and is only a year older than myself which is pretty mental IMO. It's similar to the likes of Luke Shaw/Clyne for those of you who are football fans playing and hitting the big leagues at such a young age. Will he be able to hang with them? That's what interests me, that and not really having seen masses of his videos other than a few clips is he really the prospect people keep banging on about?

For some of the other prelim guys, even the guys who start on the main card at points they've maybe not got such a unique background or story that makes them interesting to the public or myself but it also is often a case of a fight for fights sake. Which I think someone brought up on here ages ago that no name value fighter or even story to the fight often makes it pretty uninspiring for individuals to go out there way and watch, all the fights in history that have caught the most public eye tend to have been grudges or story's behind them. I think the UFC should try to develop some of them more often than they do. Because when it happens for UFC it's great, Jones/Cormier McGregor/Aldo/Mendez even I mean Dillashaw being this breakout superstar the story and character is what really draws me into a fight personally. But then again most people would probably tell me to fuck off and watch WWE.

• Paid Members

is he really the prospect people keep banging on about?

Well, he's won a ridiculous amount of traditional martial arts titles. He was some kind of child phenom in karate and has been well known in that world for a long time. It's one of those cases where someone with a traditional background is moving into MMA and looking to have success with it. Always great when that kind of thing happens. It's similar to guys like Wonderboy Thompson or Michael Page. It just makes them standout right off the bat

is he really the prospect people keep banging on about?

Well, he's won a ridiculous amount of traditional martial arts titles. He was some kind of child phenom in karate and has been well known in that world for a long time. It's one of those cases where someone with a traditional background is moving into MMA and looking to have success with it. Always great when that kind of thing happens. It's similar to guys like Wonderboy Thompson or Michael Page. It just makes them standout right off the bat

Haha I've read about him and that, I was more meaning that's why I'm so excited to watch him come Saturday night. Will he deliver the hype that's being built-up!? The UFC needs more of this kind of stuff on the prelims to get the likes of me watching them. Yeah I love the sport and that but couldn't care about 90% of your prelim fights. I'll watch Sage and then be playing FIFA till 2:30am. But yeah cheers for the info anyway Ebb!

Part of Northcutts attraction though is that he's so young isn't it? At least that's what interests me.

Ha! Thank you for the new sig, matey!

FFS I literally added the bit about him being a year older straight after to avoid one of you bellends doing exactly that.

In hindsight 'attraction' was the wrong word. But was attempting to avoid 'interest' twice. Can't win on here.

I want D.C to win, but I think Gusty has a decent chance.

While Gus was butchered by Rumble, it was a terrible style match-up for him. Rumble has serious power in his hands, and as Gus is primarily a striker, it was always going to be a striking battle initially. I think Rumble needed to clip Gusty to win, and he did just that. If the fight went longer, I think Gusty would have slowly gotten the better of the striking exchanges. It's possible that Gus would have finished Rumble late on. Look at how Cormier weathered Rumble's early storm, and slowly took the fight out him. 

I am not convinced that D.C has the striking to trouble Gusty. Don't get me wrong, D.C is not feather-fisted, far from it. But will he be able to consistently get past Gusty's reach and start landing bombs? Jones for the most part was able to keep D.C on the outside, and Gus is probably a better boxer than Jones. I guess you could argue that Jones has more weapons to keep D.C from getting inside (Jones has more variety with his striking). 

I don't think D.C will have automatic success in one area, and will have to mix things up. Gusty's takedown defence has looked sharp in previous outings, and I don't think his cardio will be an issue. I can picture Gusty still being a threat after 3 or 4 rounds, as he won't be as easy to subdue as Rumble. 

I think D.C will score enough takedowns to win on points, but it will probably be close.

• Paid Members

This Sage Northcutt fight really is an odd one. 

He looks an amazing prospect and I'm excited to see him perform, but he's just turned 19. I think back to when I was 19 years old and it just seemed I had so much growing up to do. He's obviously done this his whole life, and I've got no doubts he's physically ready for it, but it seems bizarre that in a country where you can't drink till you're 21, it's ok to potentially get your face caved in on national TV if you're below that age.

Here's his pre fight scrum. He seems like a very nice guy and he's seems very excited, but it really shows just how young he is.

Yup, you can tell from his interview his age is still a big factor as he just seems to repeat himself. But I agree as long as he doesn't get caught in the moment as he sounds like he's going straight in for the kill, which would follow the same strategy as some of his previous fights by the looks of it. Just looking at his division and where he'd be going next anyone else think a Nate Diaz vs Serg fight night main event could easily be built as one of the greatest UFC bouts ever? Imagine Nate just ripping him to shreds in every interview ever whilst Serg's just spilling shit about how excited he is to fight such a guy. Money right there. 

Also looking to put some money on this show - Never done it with MMA before though. What we thinking?
Here's what I'm going with;

- Cormier + Fight to go the 5 rounds.
- Hendricks (Although I'm slightly worried about how relaxed Hendricks is, concerned he's gonna suffer an upset loss)
- Evans
- Magomedov

- Benadivez
- Northcutt 

Think I'll be doing an acca for this - Unless others suggest I'm better off doing individual bets? Odd's are pretty poor though for my selections. 

Archived