TV show Universes?

WWFChilli

During Lost's big run where every new show on TV tried to be Lost, that FlashForward show put an advert for Oceanic Airlines in the background (in reality, Oceanic Airlines is a studio owned patent that has been used in dozens of films and TV shows for decades now) just as a cheap hook to try and get the Lost audience involved by acting as if it was in the same world even though there was no connection at all.

Interesting about the Oceanic thing, I just assumed it was a made up airline on Lost, never realised its been used in other shows/films? Or have I got it all wrong?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Plus, Friends and Caroline In The City crossed over,

Did they? Lea Thompson was in an episode, it wasn't explicit she was playing Caroline. Unless you're thinking of something else that I'm unaware of.

There was an episode of Caroline in the City where Chandler met Caroline's friend (whose name I've long since forgotten) in a video shop. He tried to impress her by pretending he was renting the Piano or something.

• Paid Members

There was an episode of Caroline in the City where Chandler met Caroline's friend (whose name I've long since forgotten) in a video shop. He tried to impress her by pretending he was renting the Piano or something.

Fair enough. The reason it didn't happen in Friends being the reason I didn't know that, I made the unfair assumption it would have.

During Lost's big run where every new show on TV tried to be Lost, that FlashForward show put an advert for Oceanic Airlines in the background (in reality, Oceanic Airlines is a studio owned patent that has been used in dozens of films and TV shows for decades now) just as a cheap hook to try and get the Lost audience involved by acting as if it was in the same world even though there was no connection at all.

Also on this note from Lost Apollo chocolate bars and the Mr Clucks fast food restaurant (complete with Daniel Dae kim drive thru voice cameo) have both appeared on Once upon a time. The creative team behind the show are former Lost writers though

• Paid Members

Interesting about the Oceanic thing, I just assumed it was a made up airline on Lost, never realised its been used in other shows/films? Or have I got it all wrong?

Fairly sure it's the airline in the movie 'Executive Decision' too.

Plus, Friends and Caroline In The City crossed over,

Did they? Lea Thompson was in an episode, it wasn't explicit she was playing Caroline. Unless you're thinking of something else that I'm unaware of.

I feel as though I remember this scene very clearly, but I can't think how I could have seen it more than the once when it was first aired on Channel 4. Without looking it up, I believe Chandler's last line is something close to "well I could have just been myself there couldn't I" upon realising that he and Caroline's mate share similar taste in films.

Edit: Looked it up. The line was "So I could have er, pretty much just been myself", and it's technically his second last line.

• Paid Members

It's a real show, but that character was never actually in the real show, just in the 'friends universe' version of the show, so I would say no.

Yeah, but we're the characters that he interacted with real?

It's not really the point though. Unless Dr Drake Ramoray was appearing or at least acknowledged on *our* Days Of Our Lives, they don't *share* a Universe. The soap opera just exists in the Friends universe as well. I mean, Sheldon reading Thor comics in the Big Bang Theory, doesn't make him part of the Marvel Universe.

I  feel as though I remember this scene very clearly, but I can't think how I could have seen it more than the once when it was first aired on Channel 4. Without looking it up, I believe Chandler's last line is something close to "well I could have just been myself there couldn't I" upon realising that he and Caroline's mate share similar taste in films.

Edit: Looked it up. The line was "So I could have er, pretty much just been myself", and it's technically his second last line.

Me too, actually. I watched it back yesterday and I was surprised that it's exactly how I remember it. I can't remember any proper details about the show (there was a neurotic bloke with glasses?) but I could remember that it was the Piano that Chandler was pretending to rent.

Friends and Days of Our Lives definitively do not share a universe, as Days of Our Lives is acknowledged as a television show in Friends.

It's a real show, but that character was never actually in the real show, just in the 'friends universe' version of the show, so I would say no.

Yeah, but we're the characters that he interacted with real?

It's not really the point though. Unless Dr Drake Ramoray was appearing or at least acknowledged on *our* Days Of Our Lives, they don't *share* a Universe. The soap opera just exists in the Friends universe as well. I mean, Sheldon reading Thor comics in the Big Bang Theory, doesn't make him part of the Marvel Universe.

That wouldn't mean that Friends and Days of Our Lives shared a universe either. In fact it would mean that we share our universe with Friends.

If Joey Tribbiani appeard on *our* Days of Our Lives, and Friends never acknowledged that Days of Our Lives was a TV show, then they could be said to share a universe.

I  feel as though I remember this scene very clearly, but I can't think how I could have seen it more than the once when it was first aired on Channel 4. Without looking it up, I believe Chandler's last line is something close to "well I could have just been myself there couldn't I" upon realising that he and Caroline's mate share similar taste in films.

Me too, actually. I watched it back yesterday and I was surprised that it's exactly how I remember it. I can't remember any proper details about the show (there was a neurotic bloke with glasses?) but I could remember that it was the Piano that Chandler was pretending to rent.

Yeah same here. And I haven't heard of The Piano in any other context. I just occasionally think of it as that Chandler film.

Archived