TV show Universes?

WWFChilli

• Paid Members

Just curious to know what TV shows are set in the same universe?

It came to mind recently re-watching Frasier, that it shares the same universe with four other shows, obviously Cheers, but also Wings (Frasier & Lilith, plus a host of Cheers characters appeared), The Tortellis (a Cheers spin-off in the 80's) and St. Elsewhere (the doctors visit Cheers in one episode). How many other shows do this concept?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a TV show but it's said that a bunch of Ubisoft games are all based in the same universe, Assassins Creed and Watch Dogs were pretty much confirmed when you kill the president of Abstergo. I'm sure there was an Abstergo lab in Far Cry 3 also.

The X-Files shares a universe with The Lone Gunmen and Millennium.

One that springs to mind is NCIS, NCIS:LA, NCIS:NO obviously they are set in the same universe but NCIS:LA has crossed over with Hawaii 5-0 and Hetty appeared in Scorpion last season so thats also part of the same unvierse

NCIS was originally a spin off from Jag as well

So JAG, NCIS, NCIS:LA, NCIS: NO, Hawaii 5-0 and Scorpion are all set in the universe

Also a recent one currently on the air as well is Law and order SVU

Law and Order: SVU is a spin off from the original Law and Order, throw in the the other spin offs they've had, Law and Order: Criminal Intent, Law and Order: Trial by Jury, Law and Order: Los Angeles

SVU has crossed over with Chicago PD and Chicgao Fire which have also crossed over with each other and the new spin off coming from that Franchise is Chicago Med so they are set in the universe as well

Also Munch appeared in Homicide: Life on the streets before being in SVU and share the same Continuity, I believe in Luther (the Uk seires) he is mentioned as being a contact in the SVU department of NY so Luther can also be added to the list of being in the same universe

Homicide, Law and order shows, Chicago shows all share the same universe with Luther 

• Paid Members

Seen as all of those shows are set in real world places, as opposed to a fictional place like Gotham City, couldn't you argue that many other TV shows that are set in the same universe, I.e the actual universe

Nah, I think a crossover or reference should be mentioned for it to be legit. 

• Paid Members

One that springs to mind is NCIS, NCIS:LA, NCIS:NO obviously they are set in the same universe but NCIS:LA has crossed over with Hawaii 5-0 and Hetty appeared in Scorpion last season so thats also part of the same unvierse

NCIS was originally a spin off from Jag as well

So JAG, NCIS, NCIS:LA, NCIS: NO, Hawaii 5-0 and Scorpion are all set in the universe

Also a recent one currently on the air as well is Law and order SVU

Law and Order: SVU is a spin off from the original Law and Order, throw in the the other spin offs they've had, Law and Order: Criminal Intent, Law and Order: Trial by Jury, Law and Order: Los Angeles

SVU has crossed over with Chicago PD and Chicgao Fire which have also crossed over with each other and the new spin off coming from that Franchise is Chicago Med so they are set in the universe as well

Also Munch appeared in Homicide: Life on the streets before being in SVU and share the same Continuity, I believe in Luther (the Uk seires) he is mentioned as being a contact in the SVU department of NY so Luther can also be added to the list of being in the same universe

Homicide, Law and order shows, Chicago shows all share the same universe with Luther 

Munch also appeared in The Wire and The Lone Gunmen so they all exist in the same universe as well

Brookside and Hollyoaks existed in the same universe as one another. Matt Musgrove was the first crossover, and I think I saw Tinhead on the advert for one of those late night episodes they did about a decade ago.

I don't know why Corrie didn't just have Michael Starke's character be Sinbad when he showed up a few years ago. How different was the character ever going to be, like?

In fact I remember when the Mirror did the story about Starke's on-screen Corrie son getting caught smoking super-strength skunk cannabis, and quoted a witness saying "I hadn't realised who they were but when my brother told me it finally clicked why they looked so familiar. They were the ones who play Sinbad's kids in Corrie."

A Town Called Eureka (or just Eureka in the US), Warehouse 13, and Alphas were all in the same universe and had a few crossover episodes.

Flash, Arrow, and Constantine are in the same universe and crossover. I assume while Gotham is in that universe, as it's pre-Batman, it's unlikely to have a crossover. Maybe a villain at some stage. Supergirl is also a new addition to this universe and will have a crossover more than likely. DC really has it nailed on TV, while Marvel have it nailed in movies.

• Paid Members

Technically, Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, King Of The Hill and The Cleveland Show are all in the same universe as characters from each have appeared in at least one of the others (even if in the case of Simpsons and King Of The Hill it was very briefly).

Technically, Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, King Of The Hill and The Cleveland Show are all in the same universe as characters from each have appeared in at least one of the others (even if in the case of Simpsons and King Of The Hill it was very briefly).

How does the South Park continuity fit in? Bart interacted with Cartman in Cartoon Wars, although I don't think he's ever explicitly named as it's not a sanctioned crossover. Family Guy seems to exist as a TV show in the South Park universe, as does South Park in the Simpsons universe (which muddies the waters further).

• Paid Members

If you go down this route then pretty much everything exists in the Simpsons universe. Mulder and Scully have been on it (which links them to all the other shows mentioned above and bizarrely means the simpsons takes place in the same world as The Wire)

Archived