Biggest pop ever?

One of my favourites which often gets overlooked but still gives me goosebumps was The Undertaker's unexpected return at Judgment Day 2000.

'He's here!'

https://youtu.be/OzCSQR4C-qc

Was this Taker's first appearance on a bike?

Yup. He had last been seen as 'Gothic-cult-leader Undertaker' and had been 'buried alive' by Steve Austin.

Nope. Undertaker's last appearance before turning up as the biker was in October 1999. The buried alive match with Austin was December 1998. Undertaker chokeslammed Vince McMahon because of some issue he was having with the Unforgiven main event, walked out and was suspended. By that point he seemed to be slowly getting away from the cult leader stuff and acting more like the biker character he would turn up as the following year. If he wasn't injured I'm certain we would have seen him transition into the biker character by the end of that year.

Oh bollocks, you're right. My memory sucks ass. It was his official debut as the 'American Bad-Ass' character though, I'm sure. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

DDP unmasking after beating Savage on Nitro dressed as LA Parka sticks out too. They went mental!

That was phenomenal. I caught that episode unspoiled on TNT, and I was stunned. It was the first time I think I'd ever seen the "not who you think under the mask" deal at the time, and I thought it was brilliant. Helps that Schiavone and Mike Tenay lost their minds too. Cracking piece of wrestling telly, still one of my favourite segments ever.

• Paid Members

Jericho's is a giant pop, but the funny thing about that is, it wasnt even the biggest pop of the night. When Linda McMahon announced Austin was returning at Backlash the pop was unreal. 2000 might have been the best period for crowd reaction.

This is amazing, as well.

2000 had some amazing moments - there's the Radicals/DX vs Rock n Sock/Too Cool 10 man tag which is super hot and then there is a monster pop for Paul Bearer and Kane. Yes, Kane.

Fucking hell, literally just posted the same thing!

Triple H at MSG for me too - but four years prior at SummerSlam. Everyone seems to forget when these topics come around just how batshit that pop when he snatched the belt from the top of the ladder was but for initial explosion of noise it was loopy.

It was also right in the middle of his pasty purple pants dean-of-DX period when Rock immediately after would go off to the moon. I attribute the pop also to DX having one everything else that night and Chyna decking Mark Henry and low blowing Rock off the ladder.

Instantly think of the aforementioned glass breaking during the January 4th Rock Vs. Mankind match, followed by the pop for Foley winning. Still gives me goosebumps, and is a definitive moment you can show to anybody, fan or not, and it just looks like a coolest atmosphere to be a part of.

• Paid Members

For someone who gets little love these days, Kane didn't half blow the roof of arenas. Watched a few of his returns and the reactions were nuts.

Weirdly, Christian 're-debuts on ECW to massive cheers also.

• Paid Members

Jericho's is a giant pop, but the funny thing about that is, it wasnt even the biggest pop of the night. When Linda McMahon announced Austin was returning at Backlash the pop was unreal. 2000 might have been the best period for crowd reaction.

This is amazing, as well.

2000 had some amazing moments - there's the Radicals/DX vs Rock n Sock/Too Cool 10 man tag which is super hot and then there is a monster pop for Paul Bearer and Kane. Yes, Kane.

Fucking hell, literally just posted the same thing!

That pop when the crowd realise it's Paul Bearer is astonishing. I can't remember that at all. Where had Kane been? Presumably something to do with that X-Pac & Tori storyline judging by the commentary.

Archived