Wrestlers who 'made' others.

Snitsky's back acne

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd say Hogan dropping the title to Warrior at WM6. Although warrior was over before the match the WM main event sealed the deal and launched Warrior to the moon. No doubt some will disagree

Not me, that's the one I was going to suggest. Incredible match from two guys who are not the most technically proficient. Both looked strong and Hogan gave the rub completely.

Despite him been over already I would argue that Raven helped Goldberg greatly just with the US title match. the way he was squashed for the belt helped Goldberg really establish himself.

Alternatively Razor with the 1-2-3 Kid

• Paid Members

Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterio made eachother

I don't get this.

At what level did Rey make Eddie? I'm going to assume this refers to WWE because it sure doesn't fit for WCW, they had their belter at Halloween Havoc 97 but Eddie was already over as heel before that match and certainly wasn't elevated to a higher level as a consequence. By the time Eddie and Rey had a run in WWE Eddie had already been WWE Champion and reached a level above where he was working with Rey.

As for the reverse, Rey got a bigger push when Eddie died, that's all I got. Again, Havoc '97 was a belting match, but it didn't elevate Rey. If anyone made Rey in WWE surely it was Kurt. Made Rey look a player early doors.

I think some people assume making someone is just having a really good match with them or doing a job... Maybe I'm being too picky at what constitutes making someone. They only examples I can think of not already listed are one match showings that had little to no follow up such as Sean Waltman/Eric Young and Undertaker/Jeff Hardy. For me that ladder match really defined Hardy as a future star despite not reaching that level for a few years

• Moderators

Jericho made Christian.

When? I didn't buy Christian as much of anything other than a mid card comedy character until his run as the ace of ECW. Actually if anything made Christian, being in TNA as a whole made Christian.

I agree. Whilst it could be argued that Christian moving to TNA meant that he was absent during a period where he would likely have gotten a World Heavyweight Championship reign due to the dearth of high-quality talents across two brands, if anything his time away improved his general perception amongst the fanbase. He paid his return dues in ECW and was rewarded with a couple of title reigns that he almost certainly wouldn't have got.

I have no idea what Chris Jericho has to do with that.

I can't tell whether Christian was always rubbish and it was Emperor's New Clothes when we loved him in 2005, or if he was only rubbish when he came back all old and jaundiced. He was often a victim of feuding with rather uninteresting opponents as well, but if he was as good as I used to think he was, he'd be able to make them interesting. Jericho managed to make Dean Malenko interesting for a bit once.

• Paid Members

I always understood it that WM21 was a double "making", with both brands' champions elevating their up-and-coming opponents: Triple H making Batista, and JBL making Cena.

You see it's funny, because at the time I thought dispatching Kurt Angle in a one on one match the month before at No Way Out did far more for underlining Cena as "a big time player, not in the future, NOW" than actually winning the title from JBL. But that's probably because I never truly saw JBL as a player, more of a loser in over his head that just kept getting lucky. When he beat Angle, I accepted Cena as being on that level. Beating Bradshaw for the belt was such an inevitability, it didn't do anything for me in terms of my perception of Cena. Probably just me.

It's an odd one. I never had JBL down as a real main-eventer, more that, characterwise, he was being placed as a chancer who'd lucked into a position he shouldn't have been in, and, in retrospect, was there to show that Cena was too legit to not take the belt off him.

I suppose, ultimately, one could argue it was the belt that made Cena.

Archived