Wrestlers who 'made' others.

Snitsky's back acne

Inspired by the HHH thread - who are the wrestlers who you truly feel 'made' their opponents, put them over strongly or took them to the next level, be it through interviews, matches, angles etc. Obviously, the opponent has to take credit too in some instances as it takes two to tango but maybe there's a few one sided examples you can think of.

A few examples - HHH ''made' Batista in early 2005 with his work and the 3 PPV matches they had. Of course, Batista held his end up and went on to great success in his own right but I think it's a great example of one wrestler really going out of their way to put the other over strong, or 'make' them.

Ric Flair is widely attributed with 'making' Sting a main eventer in their Clash championship match. Again, Sting worked his backside off but his status went from decent mid-carder to credible main eventer thanks to Flairs efforts.

I personally feel Foley helped 'make' HHH in early 2000 with their matches at the Rumble and No Way Out too.

Any other examples? 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The first one that comes to mind is the way Roddy Piper helped Bret Hart immeasurably at Wrestlemania 8

That's a great shout actually. Piper (you could say Flair I suppose) was the only main event guy Bret got to beat on his way to becoming world champion.

• Paid Members

Foley made The Rock and HHH in the late 90s.

Pretty much every old timey star "made" people (there are exceptions, like Mil Mascaras) because there was no money in beating schlubs. To make money out of beating someone you had to "make" them first. Obviously the degree varied but it was still a production line. Mind you, that was back when there were enough places for all these "made men" to work...

Cena made Punk at MITB 2011.

Na. Cena wasn't a very big part of that. It's more correct to say Vince made Punk that night. When have we seen Vince show arse for a babyface like that before or since? He never got his heat back either.

Yup. Although, who made Cena? Someone mentioned Edge and Cena helping each other, and that's true, but I don't know that there was ever a point where a big star laid down for Cena to make him. Triple H at WrestleMania 22 is probably the closest, but Cena was already huge by then.

And did Punk ever pay it forward with anyone?

Na. Cena wasn't a very big part of that. It's more correct to say Vince made Punk that night. When have we seen Vince show arse for a babyface like that before or since? He never got his heat back either.

He fired him on his wedding day. 

Archived