My Career Rivalry - John Cena

PSF

My main rivalry - John Cena  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a topic that has crossed my mind for a while and can be a decent topic for discussion for most main eventers though out the years. But first off, we are going to discuss John Cena.

Who is the man that you will remember in years to come as his main rival. Not just the best series of matches or his longest feud, but the man that automatically springs to mind when you think of John Cena.

For me, its Edge. They both sprang to the main event around the same time and although Cena was the much bigger star, the rivalry really made Edge. To be honest I don't think Cena would have been as successful as his has been without Edge either. They did have good chemistry and memorable matches, even if for the wrong reasons at times. But both men helped each other reach that next level.

So what are your thoughts?

• Paid Members

Definitely Edge. They had a fantastic chemistry whenever they faced one another, created a tonne of memorable moments and matches and their feud leading up to and including the TLC match at that Unforgiven pay per view doesn't get anywhere near the credit it deserves. Edge crying as Lillian Garcia made the ring announcements was fucking amazing.

The one that might be remembered the most in the distant future could be The Rock, with all the hype etc. For me, it'll be his battles with CM Punk. Some great promos, fantastic and unpredictable matches, important and memorable Raw segments, and Punk was one of the few who had Cena's number a lot of the time.

I think the main options have to be JBL, Edge or Punk.

I think the JBL feud established him, peaking with the bloody I Quit match before he moved to Raw. Edge gets the nod for me as they were both at the peak of their powers and they managed to sustain a top level feud over a long period of time.

I think were it not for Edge, it'd definitely be Punk. Certainly Cena is Punks top rivalry, if not vice versa.

It was a great feud with some great matches and moments, but I don't think it was sustained over such a long period of time and not as crucial to the development of the Cena character as the Edge feud.

• Paid Members

For in-ring reasons, I actually think it might be fighting Orton that he's remembered for, for good reasons and bad.

The first proper run in 2007-2008 will be remembered because when fate gave them the great storyline - babyface comes back from injury, wins Rumble, wins the title from the guy who was storyline responsible for injuring him - they ballsed it up good and proper. The 2009 feud delivered both my favourite version of Randy Orton's character - borderline psychopath - and my favourite matches from Cena right up to the Punk run. Say what you want about the submission match at Breaking Point (and I've said lots) or the Iron Man match being full of shortcuts and not being "great wrestling matches," I thought they were very entertaining.Their face to face in the Rumble 2011 will be forever remembered as the damp squib it was, because Hogan/Warrior it most certainly was NOT, but you remember it nonetheless. Their final run proper, whether you cared about the matches or not, took in a Hell In A Cell match, a ladder match, and unified the two titles for the first time in over ten years. Whether or not you thought that Orton vs Cena was anywhere near the "epic" match that it could have (should have?) been, it remains a fact that Orton has been something of a constant for Cena since his elevation to main event, and if I think about one, I tend to immediately think of the other too.

They could have made it into something special ; closing out 2005 with Cena as WWE Champion and Orton having been slowly heated back up since his heel turn, down the road it would have been worth a shout for a WrestleMania main event given their parallels of debut, mid-card success and then reaching main events, as they really could have made you believe that their first match against each other was a big deal. But instead they threw away their first match in a meaningless 2 minute affair on the Eddie tribute Raw. Such is life.

Having said all that, the way you phrase the question and the fact that you've made "The Fans" an option means I've had to vote for that, because it's the truest answer to the question. John Cena being the top "babyface" character for over ten years despite most live crowds despising him will be his unique legacy.

The Bigshow

<headdesk.gif>

I didn't notice there was a poll, and I certainly didn't notice the omission of JBL.

He shouldn't win, but he should definitely be up there.

Oh, and Punks missing too?

This poll is a sham. A sham, I tell thee.

I went for the fans too, in 15 years time that'll be the most memorable thing about his run, that probably sounds like a knock but it really isn't

Wrestler wise, I'd say Rock, 2 Mania main events in a row is gonna be his most memorable feud, not a load of B-PPV's against Orton

I voted for the fans as everything I love about Cena comes from his mad post modern everyone-hates-Superman career arc. But if this was limited to his actual opponents then I'd want to vote for Punk, who had far better matches with him and was more convincingly his equal than Edge (who is shit). Money in the Bank 2011 is probably my favourite ever match. I'd never been so invested in a finish as I was watching that live.

The one that might be remembered the most in the distant future could be The Rock, with all the hype etc. For me, it'll be his battles with CM Punk. Some great promos, fantastic and unpredictable matches, important and memorable Raw segments, and Punk was one of the few who had Cena's number a lot of the time.

Yeah I'd say CM Punk too. With Edge at a close second. I felt Edge took Cena (and arguably himself) up to a main event level and while Cena was arguably going to be there for a long time, Edge must have felt he needed to prove himself and that must have rubbed off on Cena too. They had some incredible matches and it was a great feud. I don't think it ever got revisited...

CM Punk though represented everything Cena was not. I liked how Punk could be a heel to the kids, and a fan favourite to an older set of fans who were tired of "Superman" Cena being pushed and the feeling that Cena was the chosen one, while the lads from ROH never got a chance etc etc. Money In The Bank was surely the most venomous a crowd has ever been to Cena and he excelled. His legacy must be tied to the fact he is one of the most divisive figures in WWE history. Oh fuck I just talked like Michael Cole.

Actually, screw it. Yeah, the fans.

Voted for Randy Orton, just because the right answer is CM Punk.  I agree with everything said above about how they were polar opposites of one another.

Just because Cena fought The Rock on 2 consecutive mania's doesn't make that his career rivalry for me.  Minus the Hogan bit at Wrestlemania 9, Bret Hart vs Yokozuna main evented 2 consecutive Wrestlemania's, but you wouldn't say Yokozuna was Bret Harts career rival

Gotta be Punk for me. Was perfect given both those guys' place amongst the fans, and Punk's promo was a legendary Booker T "TELL ME he did not just say that!" moment

I don't see how fans could be his greatest rivalry. At the peak of the backlash (when people genuinely hated him) it was pretty much ignored. Announcers would just say "wow this crowd is a bit weird tonight" when really it was every crowd. They only felt safe to play up to it once the genuine hate had subsided to a bit of fun.

Everybody chants that John Cena sucks, only 10% of that actually feel he sucks. It's a shame because when it was actually played up to like at ONS '06 it was great and really worked.

I'd say Punk was his best rival, those two had chemistry in the ring and were perfect rivals. Everything about their characters was built to oppose the other. It helps that their matches were spread out too, seems like a crazy concept considering now Cena just has three or four matches in a row with everyone.

Edge has to be Cena's most important rival though. They both really made each other in that series and Cena's career would probably have gone very different without having Edge about

Archived