UFC 191: Johnson vs Dodson 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Oh fuck! That's a brilliant fight.

I was wondering when they were going to fill this one up. It's only a few weeks away and they're still a few fights short. So expect a bunch of fight announcements in the next couple of days. Probably won't be anything else as good as Pearson vs Felder added now though. Probably just a few Fight Pass level prelims.

Edit -

As I say that, just checked and these two fights have been added as well;

Joe Riggs vs Ron Stallings

Andre Fili vs Clay Collard

Nothing special bit not bad. Not really arsed about Riggs vs Stallings. I like Riggs but not that interested in the matchup. Fili vs Collard could be fun though. I remember Collard got battered by Max Holloway a while back but it was a good fight and Collard took it on short notice.

• Paid Members

So I was looking up the updated card for this because I'd read about a few changes. And I noticed that the Benavidez vs Cejudo fight still wasn't listed on MMAJunkie's lineup. The fight was definitely announced for this show, on a few reliable sites. So I looked it up and apparently Cejudo still hasn't signed the contract. That's according to Benavidez anyway.

From BJPenn.com;

UFC flyweight and Team Alpha Male fighter Joseph Benavidez is still waiting for olympic gold medalist Henry Cejudo to sign the contract.

A fight between them was basically announced a little while back, but Benavidez, while on Stud Show Radio, confirmed that it’s not official yet because Cejudo won’t agree on a date.

It seems Cejudo still hasn’t made things official and Benavidez is getting a little frustrated, check it out!

nGA0x.jpg

With UFC 191 only a few weeks away, I'm guessing this fight is no longer happening on this card after all. Maybe 192 instead.

Bastard.

• Paid Members

Well that's shit. I thought it'd at least get re-scheduled for a later card. The fact they're going with the Bagautinov fight instead suggests either Cejudo is hurt or he wants none of Benavidez. It has to be one of the two really. Surely he's hurt, he doesn't strike me as the type do duck fights. Gutted it's not happening though. Benavidez is the first opponent who really could've told us a lot about whether or not Cejudo is title shot ready. Would've been a great fight too. Balls.

• Paid Members

only other thing is maybe they have Cejudo lined up for another big fight? how about Jussier Formiga? you wanna talk about a guy that flys under the radar, he's ranked #3 in the Flyweight rankins and nobody talks about him.

• Paid Members

Yeah Formiga's ace.

I just think it's strange how Benavidez vs Cejudo was announced and now they're going in another direction. That suggests the UFC clearly wanted that fight. Benavidez's tweet above suggests he wanted it and was confused and frustrated with the holdups. Formiga would be a great opponent for Cejudo, in some ways just as interesting as Benavidez. But the Benavidez fight seemed like a go, then it just fell apart for no obvious reason. Has to be more to it. An injury or either Cejudo or his team not fancying the Benavidez fight. If they wanted Cejudo vs Formiga, they never would've announced Cejudo vs Benavidez surely? It was all over the MMA news sites and looking like a done deal. All very quiet from Team Cejudo as well. Odd.

• Paid Members

And on that note, Cejudo vs Formiga has been announced for Nov 21 in Mexico for the TUF Latin finale. I'm guessing Cejudo needed time to heal up from an injury? If not, i don't think it's dodging Benavidez, but perhaps choosing a more sensible path before facing him?

For a TUF finale, so far it's a great card with Gastelum vs Brown and Lamas vs Diego Sanchez along with the above. 

• Paid Members

And on that note, Cejudo vs Formiga has been announced for Nov 21 in Mexico for the TUF Latin finale. I'm guessing Cejudo needed time to heal up from an injury? If not, i don't think it's dodging Benavidez, but perhaps choosing a more sensible path before facing him?

For a TUF finale, so far it's a great card with Gastelum vs Brown and Lamas vs Diego Sanchez along with the above. 

Gastelum vs Brown sounds great.

How has Diego Sanchez talked his way into a fight with #4 ranked Lamas? He isn't even in the top 15 at LW and he's 0-3* in his last 3 fights.

*Technically 1-2, but nobody scored that win for him against Pearson.

• Paid Members

Gastelum vs Brown sounds great.

How has Diego Sanchez talked his way into a fight with #4 ranked Lamas? He isn't even in the top 15 at LW and he's 0-3* in his last 3 fights.

*Technically 1-2, but nobody scored that win for him against Pearson.

I'm guessing a lack of challengers for Lamas below him is the problem. In theory, if Sanchez can successfully cut to 145, considering the fighters he has faced, he should be a beast at that weight and may have an advantage over the smaller guys. That said, Lamas will still be too good for Sanchez. 

• Paid Members

Sanchez dropping to 145 just feels like a total desperation move on his part.

I love Diego. How can you not after all the amazing fights he's given us over the years? But it seems the sport has really left him behind now, especially these last couple of years. The sport has evolved and the skill level at the top is higher, especially in the lighter weight classes. Diego's style, as exciting as it can be, just doesn't cut it anymore. He's kind of a victim of his own popularity in a way. I'm sure he could still beat a lot of the lower end of the roster but his name means he'll always get at least semi-meaningful fights and names. And more often than not, the guys at that level are going to batter him.

Saying that, I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Clay Guida again now they're both in the same division again. Clay's slipped a bit as well so it's not like they'd be feeding him to some killer. It'd make a nice addition to a future Mexico card.

Lamas is going to fuck him up :(

• Paid Members

Yeh Diego's bagged that one off the back off his name value. Im interested to see how he looks at 145 but its probably a move he should have made 4-5 years ago if he was going to do it.

Archived