McMyths

Liam O'Rourke

She's always been bellowing spots in matches, that's not a new thing.

Since AJ left, she has become defacto top babyface diva, which is a lot to ask considering she's still very young and only been on the main roster just over a year. Having AJ weird twitter stalkers become your weird twitter stalkers probably isn't good for her state of mind either

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd go out on a limb and say Paige has never been good. She's not Alicia Fox levels of shit, but it's a far cry to describe her as good. Her spot calling is awful.

• Paid Members

My favourite, without doubt, is that WCW were the evil to their good in the Monday Night Wars and that Bischoff would pull what Vince considered to be dirty tactics.

As you men have been so adept at pointing out in the Monday Night Wars timeline series, Vince always did and always will pull out whatever schemes he can come up with to intentionally damage the competition. From telling Pay Per View carriers to run Survivor Series instead of Starrcade in 87 or not get to run WrestleMania IV, to intentionally delay getting Kid his release papers so he could go over and join the nWo, through to pulling out Bret Hart's return to nullify TNA's first attempt at running Monday nights with Impact, and even through to today, when I read they're going to run NXT in the same towns on the same nights as ROH. Vince and his company will do whatever they can to try and hurt other companies and will piss on another bonfire even if the effect is negligible in terms of making theirs burn any brighter. When Vince talks about "Oooh, you don't go there" on a DVD about anything WCW did, I piss myself laughing.

The truth behind this hypocrisy, I've always believed, is simply that Vince was jealous that the "dirty tactics" were better than his, and that he doesn't like the fact that there was least this one element in which Eric Bischoff was clearly more creative than he was.

Bang on. Its like the WWF's ascendency in the early to mid 80's was good old fashioned capitalism at work, but a decade later it was evil Ted Turner.

I'd go out on a limb and say Paige has never been good. She's not Alicia Fox levels of shit, but it's a far cry to describe her as good. Her spot calling is awful.

isn't she the youngest person on the main roster? or even including NXT. i'd say she's impressive in-ring given that, I can forgive her flaws in that regard seeing as even Cena is guilty of audible spot calling. I'll never enjoy or get behind her though because she's just dreadful to listen to in a promo. It's a real chore to just listen to her get through sentences. Unless she changes her style up completely she'll never win me over when she talks like that. Not that I don't enjoy/support a decent amount of mediocre/bad mic-workers but I'd rather listen to literally anyone else's promo than hers. She's complete bottom of the barrel as far as mainstream wrestling promos go for me

In regards to spot calling I would probably suggest the audience at large barely notices or even cares tbh.

Jericho always called spots loudly, as does Cena from time to time and it hasn't hurt their careers one bit. It's just us nit-pickers on the internet who tend to pick up on/ care about it.

(Though it is annoying as fuck)

In regards to spot calling I would probably suggest the audience at large barely notices or even cares tbh.

Jericho always called spots loudly, as does Cena from time to time and it hasn't hurt their careers one bit. It's just us nit-pickers on the internet who tend to pick up on/ care about it.

I be one for the barely notice/definitely don't care brigade. 

These days you have people like Paige who sings along to her own entrance music on her way out like a berk at WrestleMania..

Is it just me or has Paige become a lot more sloppy and unsure of herself in the ring lately? I think working with the likes of the Bellas has brought her down to their level.

Nikki Bella is well above Paige's level. WyattSheepMask probably has it right -- since AJ left, Paige became the de facto worship toy of the creepy women's wrestling oddballs. It seems like she's barely put any effort in since then and has let it go to her head.

• Paid Members

The best McMyth is that as soon as Austin won KOTR 96 he was a made man & WWE were off to the races of putting WCW under. The reality being that Austin was still doing very little of note until Bret Hart came back towards the end of the year. Austin was originally booked to face Savio Vega AGAIN at the October PPV (IYH: Buried Alive) and even after Bret came back, it was still well into 97 before Austin was positioned for greatness

This is spot on. It's always one that makes me chuckle. I guess they don't want to be seen as clueless for not strapping a rocket too him immediately. He was actually on the pre-show for Summerslam that year if I remember correctly

• Paid Members

Spot on.

The example that always springs to mind for me is way back at Unforgiven 1999. The Rock shouts "Paul!" at The Big Show halfway through The Peoples Elbow to remind the big bastard to break up the ensuing pin.

Everyone does it but I bet barely anyone other than us actually notices.

I dunno.

Whilst I don't think it's as big a deal as most, in the past some people would follow up the old, trusty 'you know it's not real, right?' with 'you can even hear them chatting to each other'.

It might where I work that makes people more aware of what they're watching, but I always assumed that people were aware of it at least.

• Paid Members

I have never noticed spot calling ever in all the time I've watched wrestling, until it is actually pointed out to me.

I'm in the same boat with only one exception. Ken Shamrock's "slap me" to his storyline sister at St Valentine's Day Massacre. Couldn't miss that one.

I have never noticed spot calling ever in all the time I've watched wrestling, until it is actually pointed out to me.

I'm in the same boat with only one exception. Ken Shamrock's "slap me" to his storyline sister at St Valentine's Day Massacre. Couldn't ,miss that one.

I'd forgotten all about that. I remember first seeing that when I was 8 years old and thinking "why did he tell her to do that?" Ah, naivety.

Archived