McMyths

Liam O'Rourke

The WWE is run seemingly from the ground up now as a revisionist carpet bombing of the idea of wrestling as a vehicle for entertainment. The entire contained culture of what the WWE Universe is can be thought of as an attempt to paint WWE as the only game in town and what people mean when they mention 'wrestling'. It's a fair shout in some respects as they're absolutely fucking enormous and really the only federation that espouses the idea that they're producing an action adventure series but no matter how much they go on about it the fact remains that they're just a fucking massive wrestling organisation. They do wrestling. It's what it always has been and always will be. The same thing as what Ring Of Honour do, the same thing as what New Japan do. Just on an altogether unseemly scale.

That's the prevailing mythology of Vince McMahon. That wrestling is the WWE.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your barometer for legend is how long they spent on top, then Hacksaw, Big Ted, Koko and all those other wheeled out 'legends' may as well pack up, and fuck off now.

Considering how denigrated the word is within the WWE universe, JBL's exploits as a cowboy, as a member of an APA and his FUCKING INCREDIBLE title run make him as good a candidate as anyone.

It's more than fair to isolate somebody's gimmick from the situations at the time when introducing them as a commentator. We've had ten years of people complaining about a lack of good characters on WWE television. JBL was a fantastic character and more than worthy of being a legend in the WWE machine, I reckon.

I gotta throw my hat into the podcast appreciation circle as well. I mainly lurk around here and just read the posts but all of these threads generate fascinating discussion and great podcasts that make typing numbers into a spreadsheet to pay rent for 8 hours a day a bit more comfortably numb. Cheers, Liam!

• Paid Members

I hate the myth they propigate that Trish Stratus was a legendary Women's wrestler. Quite honestly she went from shite to lowest level nessecary to come out positive on the tit's to ring ability ratio. Yes she mainevented Raw with Lita but she wasn't over because of her ring ability she was over because she was gorgeous and around in era when everyone had to be careful with there internet bandwidth. Watching her back she is well below most current Divas now. I honestly thinks she comftably worse than the Bellas and they get slaughtered. Her great Mania moment with Mickie James was so hot because of the lesbian angle. Great diva but not a great not even a good worker

I hate the myth they propigate that Trish Stratus was a legendary Women's wrestler. Quite honestly she went from shite to lowest level nessecary to come out positive on the tit's to ring ability ratio. Yes she mainevented Raw with Lita but she wasn't over because of her ring ability she was over because she was gorgeous and around in era when everyone had to be careful with there internet bandwidth. Watching her back she is well below most current Divas now. I honestly thinks she comftably worse than the Bellas and they get slaughtered. Her great Mania moment with Mickie James was so hot because of the lesbian angle. Great diva but not a great not even a good worker

Thats not really a myth though. I think you have to base if she was legenary on her career and how much impact she had going forward not how much in ring ability she had retrospectivly.

That would be a little like looking back at the Hogan/Austin/Rock matches, deciding that Cesaros a better in ring wrestler. So all of the great promos and angles that people remember those guys for are not enough to have made them a legend.

I hate the myth they propigate that Trish Stratus was a legendary Women's wrestler.

That's not even so much a WWE myth as an Internet myth. Trish was way worse at wrestling than her rep suggests. She's by far the best all-rounder women's wrestling has ever had, though. The current crop won't come close. Charlotte looks too mannish. Becky Lynch sounds like Sheamus' rough granddad if he'd smoked every fag in the world. Sasha Banks hasn't got the looks or the charm. Paige increasingly shows herself up as a charmless, useless idiot with every appearance. Bayley isn't going to reach Trish's league without a lot of facial reconstruction. The Bellas are atrocious at acting and talking on wrestling shows, and Brie's definitely worse than Trish at the wrestling. Lana's struggling to get a foothold without the evil Russian gimmick.

• Paid Members

Spot on. Trish may not have been the best in ring but she was good enough to have the odd watchable match, she is probably the fittest diva ever and she just gets it. She knows wrestling is about getting over character and stories and she was a dab hand at it. These days you have people like Paige who sings along to her own entrance music on her way out like a berk at WrestleMania..

Archived