McMyths

Liam O'Rourke

For our podcast this week, we're going to be talking about WWE's revisionist version of history and stances on different wrestlers and events, and in particular the ones we disagree with, and want to get some feedback from you guys - what myth that WWE propagates do you disagree with the most, or in particular bothers you when they try to force it on the general public?

Whether it's something small on a DVD or documentary that strikes you as bullshit, or just a WWE/Vince trait that rattles your cage, what WWE company line or mentality annoys you the most, and most importantly, why?

As always we'll be reading the best nominations on the show and crediting you accordingly, so what do you think?

EDIT - The show discussing your nominations for "McMyths" is now online and available to listen to at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/8awtz6/SCGRadio49-BustingMcMyths.mp3

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cena vs Orton being a legendary rivalry is one of them.

My main one is every time Big Show turns heel they make out that it's some big shock. The worst was after his 237th heel turn, when they tried to pass it off that he'd been the friendly smiling giant for twenty years to that point.

Also the time in 2013 that Stephanie got Andre and Big Show confused.

The excessive disparaging of WCW that takes place on WWE programming is perhaps understandable but really, really annoying. Their crimes include untruthfully painting WCW as a 'small time' regional organisation, portraying its main event scene as full of 'has beens', taking offence at perceived 'dirty tactics' and petty swipes at individual wrestlers when they themselves could be seen as guilty of exactly the same.

This particularly bothered me during the Sting vs HHH feud. JBL and Cole's disgraceful hatchet job on Stings career during the Wrestlemania match implying WCW was essentially a B-League full of no-marks was both unnecessary and inaccurate. The fact they feel the need to downplay everything Sting did in WCW 14 years after the company ceased functioning only tells me McMahon is a deeply insecure human being who has never got over the fact Bischoff got the better of him during that 1996-1998 period. 

• Paid Members

Them constantly saying Bret Hart was going to turn up on Nitro the next night with the WWF championship, if they didn't do the Montreal Screwjob. It bugs me more than it probably should.

The Monday Night War episodes are full of nonsense. My favourite is that they pretend Ted Turner gave more than five minutes of his time bothering about WCW or the Monday Night Wars or Vince McMahon. It makes Vince come across as a wee bit sad - like this 'Mania where he lost his mind during the Sting v Triple H match and decided to go to 11 with his bitterness.

The mentioning of Vince lending money to ECW and therefore "helping them out" while the evil WCW were the only ones who tried to put ECW out of business. While the loan story might be true, little is mentioned about the members of ECW's talent roster who WWE poached or the ideas that WWE stole from ECW during the Attitude Era. WWE seem to conveniently forget that they moved from USA Network to TNN in 2001 therefore throwing ECW off TNN and leaving them without a TV deal (which ultimately lead to their demise).

The ECW stuff is a good shout. Seeing Heyman, Dreamer, etc. rip on WCW (though Heyman was clearly working with WCW concerning Pilman) is pretty sad.

The WCW "history" is my biggest gripe though. Paints a sad and insecure picture of the winners.

Oh linking the WH Title to the NWA Title history drive me fucking batty. At best it can be linked to the WCW Title and that is pushing it.

• Paid Members

The Wrestlemania VII bomb scare bollocks that Sgt. Slaughter still insists was legit and why they didn't run the LA Coliseum. Nothing to do with exploiting a real on-going war, the war concluding before the angle played out, and Sgt. Slaughter not exactly being the guy to sell out the Sports Arena, nevermind the space capable of housing 100,000 fans.

• Paid Members

My favourite, without doubt, is that WCW were the evil to their good in the Monday Night Wars and that Bischoff would pull what Vince considered to be dirty tactics.

As you men have been so adept at pointing out in the Monday Night Wars timeline series, Vince always did and always will pull out whatever schemes he can come up with to intentionally damage the competition. From telling Pay Per View carriers to run Survivor Series instead of Starrcade in 87 or not get to run WrestleMania IV, to intentionally delay getting Kid his release papers so he could go over and join the nWo, through to pulling out Bret Hart's return to nullify TNA's first attempt at running Monday nights with Impact, and even through to today, when I read they're going to run NXT in the same towns on the same nights as ROH. Vince and his company will do whatever they can to try and hurt other companies and will piss on another bonfire even if the effect is negligible in terms of making theirs burn any brighter. When Vince talks about "Oooh, you don't go there" on a DVD about anything WCW did, I piss myself laughing.

The truth behind this hypocrisy, I've always believed, is simply that Vince was jealous that the "dirty tactics" were better than his, and that he doesn't like the fact that there was least this one element in which Eric Bischoff was clearly more creative than he was.

Oh linking the WH Title to the NWA Title history drive me fucking batty. At best it can be linked to the WCW Title and that is pushing it.

I don't understand that thought process at all. When the company buys WCW, they have the right to do whatever they want with WCW as an entity and the WCW World Heavyweight title - which they continue to have defended on their own shows for a while before it eventually unified. If they then choose to un-unify the title and have the belt continue to represent it as though it's the same title, they can. Same title, slightly different name, that was briefly unified with the WWE title, split off again and eventually re-unified at the tail end of 2013.

Vince's belief that nothing that has happened prior to WWE matters. The fact that he was unsure whether Cactus Jack (1997) and later Sting would be widely recognised or accepted by the fans is mind boggling. From the many interviews I have seen the WWE have traditionally had a belief that they are the only thing in the world for wrestling fans. JR seems to have somewhat of a clue though. 

The well known fact that Vince McMahon hates WRESTLING! The one thing that has made him money and he is obsessed with being an entertainment guy. Saying that I think that Kevin Dunn has a lot to answer for with that one. The use of the WWE Universe phrase makes me want to jump out of the window. 

93,000+ fans at WrestleMania 3... its a lie! Don't bullshit! 

How about title tournaments in Rio, some of the original McMyths from the Sr version? Hardly annoying but great old examples.

Gotta also add a lot of the revisionist stuff from around 1995-1998. Hall and Nash leaving just because of the big money and tempted by Turner when it was Vince's refusal to negotiate on dates and guaranteed money a little, the tactics (Billionaire ted stuff gets forgotten)too

They're not as bad with it these days, but a few years ago they seemed absolutely obsessed with stats, facts and records more than anything else.  Like the way they seemed to push the "longest episodic weekly running program" line every 5 minutes.  Or the way they wanted Rey Mysterio vs. Sin Cara at Wrestlemania just to get the world record for most masks worn in a building or some bollocks.  Who actually cares about any of this shit?

Mine is easily the most pathetic gripe based entirely on me being a fussy prick but Mysterio and Cena's title runs when Punk fucked off with the belt, the whole point was that Punk leaving with the belt was that it would devastate the company, next night Vince turns up and goes 'Here's the new title'

They could've saved it a bit by having Triple H say Mysterio and Cena were interim champions or something like that, It just annoys me that they'd refer to Mysterio as a former WWE champion for the rest of his run when he held a mickey mouse replacement belt for less than 2 hours

• Paid Members

The one that always gets my giddy goat is the Wrestlemania III attendance. 78000 is a shit load of people. Probably more than all the WCW PPV's combined in 1987. This coupled with WWE trying to claim that they basically drew the same amount of people as the Pope did later that year is annoying. I'm not catholic, and had John Paul II body slammed Andre I'm sure they would have drawn 93000.

Add my name to the revisionist history when it comes to WCW...   the two which stick out for me are both centred around the Monday Night Wars Series:

On the Goldberg episode, they cut to a load of fans booing Goldberg, saying they were tiring of his act, when in actual fact Goldberg was a heel (a fact they didn't mention) and were supposed to be booing him. 

On the last, or next to last episode, when they were talking about the Fusient takeover bid, they used interview footage of Bischoff's big announcement (that turned out to be Goldberg's heel turn).  Granted there was all that bollocks about "nothing Vince McMahon can do about it" but without its real context, it just looked like Bischoff was being smugh about something that wouldn't happen for another few months.  

The camera never lies, but the editor is a lying prick.  

Archived