A Summerslam match a day

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

2002, you're spoiled for choice. Depending on how you do for Angle / Shawn matches, you might want to consider the main event. If you can spare a Shawn match, you watch Shawn/Hunter. I might be tempted to eschew Angle/Mysterio for either Austin/Angle from 2001 (because I don't remember much else that I really enjoyed from that one) or Angle/Lesnar from 2003, although back to back Lesnar might be a bit much. For you, not for me. No such thing as too much Brock, even vintage Brock.

It's clear your methodology - pick your matches from the top performers and then fill the holes. So to speak.

I'd recommend watching the whole event if you haven't done before, it's just a whole lot of fun with some great wrestling action and some proper feuds. It has a great atmosphere and commentary from Monsoon and Ventura is always, superb.

BY GOLLY! You can't remember who did the play-by-play on a Zeus-headlined PPV? This is the most shocking error in the history of Our Great Sport!

Summerslam 1990 - Hart Foundation vs Demolition (2 out of 3 falls)

Summerslam 1991 - Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect (IC Title)

Summerslam 1996 - Undertaker vs Mankind (Boiler room brawl)

Summerslam 1999 - Test vs Shane McMahon (Street Fight)

Summerslam 2001 - Rob Van Dam vs Jeff Hardy (Ladder Match)

Summerslam 2002 - Rey Mysterio vs Kurt Angle

Summerslam 2007 - CM Punk vs John Morrison (ECW Title)

Summerslam 2009 - CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy (TLC)

Summerslam 2010 - Nexus vs Team WWE

Summerslam 2013 - Daniel Bryan vs John Cena

Summerslam 2014 - Seth Rollins vs Dean Ambrose (Lumberjack match)

I'd recommend watching the whole event if you haven't done before, it's just a whole lot of fun with some great wrestling action and some proper feuds. It has a great atmosphere and commentary from Monsoon and Ventura is always, superb.

BY GOLLY! You can't remember who did the play-by-play on a Zeus-headlined PPV? This is the most shocking error in the history of Our Great Sport!

That's terrible - can I use the time of day as an excuse? Time I took my own advice and rewatched. Sorry Schiavone, your input was overlooked on this occasion.

That boiler room brawl is overrated in my opinion. I thought it was dull as fuck the only thing you can remember about it was Bearer turning on Taker at the end of the match. Infact was it live or pre recorded I remember that they made it look like the live feed was cutting out but that could've been a cover up for the breaks in the match when they had recorded it. WWE was sneaky sometimes that way. I always thought that Piper and Goldust's Hollywood Backlot Brawl was live too until I found out on a shoot that it was recorded 2 weeks earlier.

X-Pac vs Jeff Jarrett from 1998 is well worth a watch again as is Edge and Sable vs Mero and Jacqueline .

I watched SS 99 the other day and amazingly Test vs Shane McMahon still holds up really well.

The one thing I took away from both these events was how insanely over X-Pac was, that heel turn in late 99 killed him

• Paid Members

Summerslam 1999 - Test vs Shane McMahon (Street Fight)

I watched SS 99 the other day and amazingly Test vs Shane McMahon still holds up really well.

That match is the poster child for "better than it had any right to be." It's a barrel load of fun. Watching it at the time, it was ridiculous how good it was. To this day, when my best mate (a lapsed casual who was well into it in the Attitude Era) comes round to visit he'll occasionally ask if we can watch that match. It breaks my heart seeing his sad little eyes when I tell him I don't have it, and I have no fucking clue what came over me when I taped over SummerSlam 99. I miss that match.

Also, the rovin' Road Dogg.

Few random selections I have always enjoyed 

99: Al Snow v Bossman  A fun Hardcoore Title match with Road Dogg providing some roaming commentary 

98: Id go with XPac v Jarrett   Short enough match and Pac was mega over in 98

04: The Dudleys v Rey Rey, Kidman & London   This was the Spike Dudley as The Boss era and a really enjoyable watch and a decent opener

08: Batista v Cena   First singles match between the 2 mega faces, felt like a huge deal at the time. Not a great match but enjoyable and memorable

11: Randy Orton v Christian World Heavyweight Title  Think this was the final match in their feud and while not there best match its definitely worth a rewatch

• Awards Moderator

It begins! I was going to begin with the main event of the first Summerslam, and get myself off to a good start with The Mega Powers vs. The Mega Bucks, but I don't really fancy watching Hulk Hogan at the moment, so Savage is going to have to wait until 1990, and for the first instalment of this project I'm going with Butch's recommendation: The British Bulldogs vs. The Fabulous Rougeaus.

The match:

We're in Madison Square Garden! And it's looking good. Our commentators for tonight are Gorilla Monsoon and… Superstar Billy Graham? Alright then.

The Rougeaus don't get an entrance but they get some lovely miniature flags to wave. People are not keen on them, but their jackets are magnificent. 

Some lovely, rousing British music as the Bulldogs enter, and people love 'em. Matilda the bulldog looks eager to be getting the fuck away from all that noise, but no, she's got to sit and watch the whole thing from a little stage on the apron. Poor thing. Dynamite's giving her a little pat on the head as Davey starts off with Jacques, and begins as he means to go on by smacking his head against one turnbuckle several times, then another. And then another, before Raymond tags in and they hug it out. Big time heat for the Rougeau Hug.

The Bulldogs' tights are fantastic.

Matilda update: she's behaving splendidly at ringside, watching the action quite intently.

Raymond hits a monkey flip! But Davey flips out of it! Arm drag, and the crowd LOVE it! Dynamite in now and the action slows down a bit. Arm submission, little bit of action, cut off by Dynamite head butting Raymond in the bollocks, then back to the arm and Davey tags in. 

Matilda update: Dynamite seems to like her more than Davey. Once he tagged out he stroked her a little bit.

The Bulldogs are continuing to work on the arm and employing frequent tags. This is lovely stuff. Rougeau with a sunset flip, two count and a fantastic counter into a bridging pin by Davey. Thanks for suggesting this Butch, what an excellent match so far.

Matilda update: When Davey's on the apron she kind of leans closer to him as if to say 'come on Davey Boy, pay me some attention, Dynamite does'. Davey's not interested, so when he tags in, she looks away and the Quebecers get the advantage with a bit of cheating. That's what you get for dismissing Matilda, Davey.

Rougeaus now working on the leg, and the advantage is firmly with them. Monsoon is doing a great job of pointing out how they've 'cut the ring in half', and that sort of thing. Jacques kicks Davey in the bum and then gives Dynamite a bit of a slap before an illegal tag and more leg work.

Matilda update: She can't bear to watch this cheating, so she's turned her back on the ring.

Davey Boy has been totally grounded by the Rougeaus, but he still manages to grab a rollup for a two count. The crowd volume rises when he does it, but drops again as the Rougeaus go back to the leg. 

No! Wait! He's up! Monkey flip! Dynamite tagged in! Snap suplex! Beautiful! Headbutt, and two count. I know Benoit nicked the snap suplex, but he never quite hit it as well as Dynamite. Raymond knocked to the outside, and if this match had happened in 2015, this is where Dynamite would have done a dive. But it's 1988, so he doesn't.

Bulldogs back in control, and Davey hits the powerslam! Jacques breaks up the pin. Dynamite back up but hey! What? Rougeaus double team him - the dirty Canadian cheats! Jacques is in control now, and it's advantage Rougeaus again.

Matilda update: She's not a fan of the abdominal stretch Dynamite's suffering in at the moment, so she won't turn back to the ring.

Beautiful high splash by Jacques onto Dynamite for a two count, and he's now stuck in a chin lock. Davey's crying out for a tag, and so are the crowd as Dynamite powers out, but the referee gets distracted for about the thirty-eighth time so far and the Rougeaus cheat again. 

Matilda update: She's looking at the ring again, and knows she could do a better job than the referee right now.

Dynamite powers out of the chin lock again and starts to crawl to his corner… but the Rougeaus are quicker and cut him off. Dynamite gets a small package, but the REFEREE'S BLOODY DISTRACTED AGAIN so he only gets two. Monsoon suggests there should be more than one referee for this kind of match; I'm not sure I fully agree, one half-decent referee would be sufficient.

Case in point: Dynamite FINALLY gets the tag… BUT THE FUCKING REFEREE DOESN'T FUCKING SEE IT! For Matilda's sake, who hired this bloke? Luckily Dynamite tries again and Davey's in! Gorilla press into a rope-crotching! Take that, Rougeau! Davey moves mid-pin so the other Rougeau mistakenly elbow-drops his partner! Davey presses Dynamite over his head, into a headbutt! This is it! But the bell rung?

Matilda update: She doesn't know what's going on either.

Howard Finkel gets on the mic to announce that the time limit has expired and the referee has ruled the match a draw, because he's shit. Rougeaus seem happy with that, Bulldogs want five more minutes, the Rougeaus sucker punch them and the Bulldogs chase them to the back. Superstar suggests they should finish it in the showers. Showers or not, I'm a bit disappointed not to see a definitive ending there. Plus, they left Matilda out there by herself! Poor girl.

My thoughts:

What a great tag team match! The time just flew by, all four of those guys were excellent throughout, and the match itself told a great story. The only thing that let it down was the referee. I know they're supposed to get distracted so the heels can do cheaty stuff behind their back, but it happened so often here it actually took me out of the match. I would have liked an ending one way or the other, too, especially after the shift they all put in. Great opener, however, and I'd happily watch that again. Was there a rematch? Because I'd watch that too.

And finally, non-finish or not, great match or not, it was really all about this lady:

4.1.gif

Archived