A Summerslam match a day

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Some of you might remember I did a Mania match a day in the month leading up to WrestleMania this year. I enjoyed doing it, hopefully a couple of people enjoyed reading it, and I thought I'd do the same for Summerslam.

Basically, what I'll do is watch a match from each Summerslam each day leading up to this year's event and review it in this thread. (I'll actually watch multiple matches some days and none on others, but it'll average out). It'll get me hyped for the 2015 offering (even more than the Brock-Taker brawl on Raw) and it'll help me get my money's worth out of the Network.

I'll try and watch a wide variety of matches - main events and openers, singles and tags, women's and men's, gimmicks and multi-mans, squashes and epics, etc.

I've had a little look at the cards of Summerslams past to pick out which matches I like the look of, but… If anyone's got any suggestions for which matches I should watch - any favourites of yours, any underrated classics or must-sees - please do recommend them and I'll probably watch those!

And if anyone fancies taking part in this project alongside me, feel free! I'll add your reviews to mine in the list below.

Summerslam 1988 - British Bulldogs vs. Fabulous Rougeaus

Summerslam 1989 - Ultimate Warrior vs. Rick Rude

Summerslam 1990 - Randy Savage vs. Dusty Rhodes

Summerslam 1991 - Natural Disasters vs. Bushwhackers

Summerslam 1992 - Bret Hart vs. British Bulldog

Summerslam 1993 - Steiner Brothers vs. Heavenly Bodies

Summerslam 1994 - Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart

Summerslam 1995 - Hakushi vs. 1-2-3 Kid

Summerslam 1996 - Shawn Michaels vs. Vader

Summerslam 1997 - British Bulldog vs. Ken Shamrock

Summerslam 1998 - D'Lo Brown vs. Val Venis

Summerslam 1999 - Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Triple H vs. Mankind

Summerslam 2000 - Undertaker vs. Kane

Summerslam 2001 - Chris Jericho vs. Rhyno

Summerslam 2002 - The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar

Summerslam 2003 - Eddie Guerrero vs. Chris Benoit vs. Tajiri vs. Rhyno

Summerslam 2004 - Dudley Boyz vs. Paul London, Billy Kidman & Rey Mysterio

Summerslam 2005 - Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio

Summerslam 2006 - Edge vs. John Cena

Summerslam 2007 - Divas Battle Royal

Summerslam 2008 - Undertaker vs. Edge

Summerslam 2009 - D-Generation X vs. Legacy

Summerslam 2010 - Dolph Ziggler vs. Kofi Kingston

Summerslam 2011 - CM Punk vs. John Cena

Summerslam 2012 - Primetime Players vs. R-Truth & Kofi Kingston

Summerslam 2013 - Cody Rhodes vs. Damien Sandow

Summerslam 2014 - Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena

It's done! Thank you to everyone who read, posted or recommended a match.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

For 1993, I'd strongly recommend Steiners vs Heavenly Bodies. As much fun personally as I derive from Bret vs Doink segueing into Bret vs The King, doing a SummerSlam match a day you might get a little Bret overload between going Hart/Smithers from 1992 (because honestly, you might not want to pick anything else) and possibly Hart/Hart cage match from 1994. That, and Steiners vs Heavenly Bodies is utterly brilliant and will make you wish the Bodies got more of a chance to show off their shit in the WWF.

Into 1994, if you've watched the Bret/Owen cage match too many times or simply don't fancy it because it's a bit long, you can't go wrong with Alundra vs Bull Nakano, my favourite Western womens PPV match for donkeys years, not including "bouts" where I was masturbating over Sable. For 1995, Kid vs Hakushi screams "Why wouldn't you?" and if you went for Hart/Hart in 1994 you'll want a break between the long matches, as your choice for 1996 is probably going to be Shawn/Vader or the Boiler Room Brawl (even though I found that a bit dull until the end). Well.... unless you watch the tag team title match for an attempt at looking up Sunny's skirt.

Oh, and going back a bit, while most stuff on 1989 is a load of fun, the best match for me is undoubtedly Harts/Brain Busters... although, fuck it, watch the main event. Savage is brilliant, Schiavone goes mental, Sherri's legs.

• Paid Members

Summerslam 97 should be the feelgood Mankind vs Helmsley blue bar Cage match. Definitely not Michaels twatting Undertaker with a chair to give Bret the WWF Title :angry:

• Awards Moderator

Thanks for the tips folks. Raid - I'm going to try to limit myself to no more than three matches per wrestler, so have to be careful which Bret matches I choose! Definitely favouring Bulldog in 92 and the Cage match from 94 at the moment. Steiners match for 93 sounds good. Which Warrior/Rude match is better, 89 or 90? I quite fancy Savage/Dusty for 90 and was going to go with Warrior for 89.

Gadge - don't know if I can resist a good old blue bar cage match...

Clint - fucked if I'm watching a Savio Vega match by choice again.

• Paid Members

Which Warrior/Rude match is better, 89 or 90? I quite fancy Savage/Dusty for 90 and was going to go with Warrior for 89.

Rude/Warrior from SummerSlam 89 I personally consider a candidate for Warrior's best match ever so you can't go wrong with that. But I wouldn't waste a Savage pick on the Dusty match, it's a total rush job. Unless you're watching for the story unfolding before and after, and Dusty's killer promo afterwards. Actually, since Savage/Warrior from 1992 doesn't live up to WrestleMania VII (obviously, nor could it ever have hoped to) then the main event of 1989 might be your best choice to take some Macho Man. Unless Hogan/Savage vs DiBiase/Andre from 1988 tickles your fancy.

Although, and I'm going to keep digging this out until my last breath, THIS is the reason you dig the '88 tape out.....

And because there was a bit right at the end of the video if you fast forward, where it shows Vince, Andre and the Mega Powers taking turns blistering Elizabeth's pussy with such force Jimmy Hart was shaking as he filmed it. Just pounding it. It was a fine moment from the four of them. Then Virgil stepped in and the video stopped. Suprised the BBCF commissioned it to be fair.

2002 is obviously a little stacked what with HBK's comeback and Brock Lesnar in his first PPV main event against The Rock.

But . . .

I really like the opener of this show. Rey Mysterio Vs Kurt Angle. This match had a great build up on Smackdown with Rey pinning Angle. "I just got beat by a freaking 12 year old" as well as the amazing "and I love to play with boys" line. This match and build kind of encapsulates the best of Kurt Angle for me. The comedy elements couple with a great wrestling performance and before his matches had eseentially become Finisher, Kickout, Finisher, Kickout. Also Rey was over as fuck and at the time was really innovative for a WWE audience. 

• Paid Members

I bang on about this one all the time because it's a match I just love watching: DX vs. Legacy, SS2009. I know the special stips matches that followed are considered better, but for me this is pure, classic tag wrestling, with everything you want from it - a solid build with a decent feud, a comeback of old faves, a great match in itself with ups and downs, team beatdowns and hot tags, and just an overall sense of the kind of enjoyment you watch wrestling for. Even DiBiase Jr. puts a shift in.

Silver Vision didn't include that on the Tagged Classics release of SummerSlam 88. Cunts. :sneaky:

More to the point WWF didn't include it on the master that SV had no say in replicating.

SummerSlam 1989 is up there as one of my favourite PPVs of all time, up against another from that summer in Great Amweican Bash. It was a great mix of wrestling and entertainment throughout, culminating in the great Zeus making his official match debut after months of build up, Hogan attacks and Zeus branding Hogan's partner Beefcake Barber.

The 6-man tag match with Rockers/Santana v Rougeaus/Martel is dream match territory for me, and seeing Duggan coming out in face paint with a Demolition was one if his more palatable post Mid South performances. The matches between Harts/Brainbusters and Rude/Warrior are crackers, as mentioned by Air Raid, and by virtue of only being 3 minutes even Herc v Valentine is enjoyable.

I'd recommend watching the whole event if you haven't done before, it's just a whole lot of fun with some great wrestling action and some proper feuds. It has a great atmosphere and commentary from Monsoon and Ventura is always, superb.

• Paid Members

I've just watched Summerslam 2005 again for the 1st time since I watched it live. Is a pretty dull show so really hope it's Micheals vs Hogan for that event. Altough reading a review on Orlando Jordan vs Benoit for that event would give me chuckle. If you short on time that's definately the way forward.

• Paid Members

Give Rougeaus vs Bulldogs a watch for '88. The Rougeaus are so underrated. Also the first match in summerslam history.

Love this match so was going suggest that as well hadn't considered the fact it was also the 1st ever Summerslam match. The Rougeaus I absolutely love as well. But quite honestly it's the most enjoyable match on the card even with the ending. Quite honestly I prefer it too the Demolition vs Harts brothers match and it sounds like your going to have to be selective in your Bret Hart matches

• Awards Moderator

SummerSlam 1989 is up there as one of my favourite PPVs of all time

As soon as this thread happened, I started my stopwatch to see how long it would take you to jump in with this event. It is a cracker though.

From 2001 the RVD / Hardy return match from Invasion is worth a watch. Not up to the standard of their previous match but the card is fairly ordinary.

I assume you would watch the TLC from 2000 given your excellent X-Seven roundup.

If you want to get hyped for this year's event, watch the Highway to Hell Austin v Taker video but skip that match and watch 2008's Hell in the Cell with Edge. Proper hokey visual to end that one.

Archived