Gimmicks that really should not have worked but just did.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Think that's a little harsh on Edge. He's had some good moments in singles - he was usually better when he was a smarmy opportunist dodging Cena, a mentalist or just always getting pissed off. His "crusade against all things stupid" was amusing too.

There were too many dusty finishes I think. He did have a belter against Batista who I was hoping would take the title off him and then Vicki got involved, team Rated R a likes screwed him. Never gotten over it.

• Paid Members

So you think Edge is comparable to Marty Jannetty? How?

Marty never got over the Rockers. Never changed his act, look, music. How are you relating Edge to this, who as the Rated R guy couldn't be further removed from his E and C days?

I wasn't comparing the two directly, you just asked what a tag wrestler out of his depth is and Jannetty is the ultimate example.

Edge always had better matches in a tag, with Christian and Mysterio especially. His singles run only came about because he legit fucked Lita behind Hardy's back, and had a reputation for unfairly cashing in or sneaking about.

He had great singles matches no doubt, but to me he was always a tag wrestler having a bit of a singles run. Should not be in the hall of fame on his own either, but again he got that based on his real life situation and not his actual merit.

• Paid Members

I was always amazed that Al Snow and that head gimmick got over. Sure it was the Attitude Era and the guy was just a total jobber but he actually got some decent pops from the crowd in late 98.

I thought it was odd too, then I saw some of his ECW stuff and it's not surprising - there was one match where the entire crowd had polystyrene heads, waving them about. He was over like a motherfugger. I share your thoughts that it's surprising that such a gimmick could get over though.

Think that's a little harsh on Edge. He's had some good moments in singles - he was usually better when he was a smarmy opportunist dodging Cena, a mentalist or just always getting pissed off. His "crusade against all things stupid" was amusing too.

There were too many dusty finishes I think. He did have a belter against Batista who I was hoping would take the title off him and then Vicki got involved, team Rated R a likes screwed him. Never gotten over it.

I always felt that was an essential part of his gimmick - a chickenshit strategist who always took the easy way out, hence "the ultimate opportunist". But he would sometimes give a good account of himself when backed into a corner. His match with Taker at WM24 was massively underrated, I think.

he was always a tag wrestler having a bit of a singles run.

That "bit of a singles run" was ten years worth of good matches and storylines. Edge was an excellent singles performer.

Should not be in the hall of fame on his own either

Bollocks.

• Paid Members

The Taker match was good, had forgotten about that. Few and far between those matches though. It was an odd gimmick to start with but enough people bought into it to make it a success.

• Paid Members

At the time of his retirement, Edge had won the WWE title or Big Gold Belt a total of 11 times, putting him up there with Trips, Randy Orton and John Cena for most decorated World Champions of the "two titles" era, as well as main eventing a WrestleMania and winning a Royal Rumble, five Intercontinental title wins (still a decent number even by today's standards) and being involved in lots of innovative or memorable matches and angles. Added to what he accomplished teaming with his "brother" before the transition to singles, and I don't see the argument that he doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame by himself, and not just with his partner. He achieved success that only a small percentage of guys that ever wrestle for WWE get to achieve, and one of the most successful guys of his generation. He deserved going in the way he did, not as an equivalent of Road Warrior Animal or a Bushwhacker. Put "Edge & Christian" in if you want since they were a fantastic combination, but if you're telling me that what Edge accomplished as an overall career doesn't deserve recognition in his own right, then I'm guessing only Cena and Orton (and at a push Batista) from "post-Attitude" would make the grade, because for a good five years after his push to main event, they were the only guys integral to the program with more frequency, or waving around one of the titles more often than Edge.

I don't really understand why Edge is here to be honest, though. "Rated R Superstar" was just a nickname, I don't think it was a gimmick. It fit neatly in with his "Lita's a whore" phase but for most of the time it had fuck all to do with who the guy was, the character he portrayed. It was just something to shove in front of his name like "The Game" or "The Apex Predator," but I don't think it was a gimmick.

• Paid Members

I was of the opinion that it was a gimmick that evolved into a nickname? Much the same as Orton's "Legend Killer" gimmick became the prefix long after he had made it and wasn't going after legends in an attempt to do so.

I suppose post attitude era it is difficult to really define a gimmick when the business has largely moved on from them in the last decade or so...obviously with a few notable exceptions.

For me Edge was always involved in angles but if he had been swapped out for someone else it wouldn't have bothered me. Never really understood how he got over. Anyway I fear I'm going off topic a bit.

• Paid Members

If you total up his 2 big belt wins though between the years he actually won them, as compared to say a Flair or a Cena, then they're massively diluted. 11 World Title runs between 2006 and 2011 is daft and a lot of them meant nothing.

If you total up his 2 big belt wins though between the years he actually won them, as compared to say a Flair or a Cena, then they're massively diluted. 11 World Title runs between 2006 and 2011 is daft and a lot of them meant nothing.

Tbf you could level that criticism at anyone, even Cena, Orton, Triple H and Batista and many others who've won titles in this modern era.

Archived