Is anyone else concerned about John Cena? (small MITB spoilers)

Pinc

Tell me I'm imagining things.

There was a moment during the excellent Cena/Owens rematch at MITB, just after Cena had done his gay Canadian Destroyer thing that he almost fucked up, when a large number of workrate pervs got out of their seats and gave Cena a bit of a standing ovation. Some were clapping, some were Yes-ing. It must be the first time that's happened in a decade at least.

This caused Cena, for all the bluster he's given it about not caring what the fans think, to take a moment out of the excellent head-down-frustration-face sell he was doing to look up and take in the adulation. It was only a momentary slipping of the mask, but it was there.

I love Cena, and a big part of that always came from the fact that he got right up the nose of Dem Wans, or whatever else you want to call them. The ultimate good guy who never breaks the rules and spends his days off seeing Make-a-Wish kids, all while putting up with arenas full of thunderous dickheads telling him he's shit every single week is one of the most compelling character dynamics wrestling has ever had. Cena vs. the audience is the defining feud of the last ten years above any in-ring rivalry. It's almost post modern.

But this whole US Title challenge thing seems to be getting in Cena's head, and all the Canadian Destroyers and Springboard Stunners are clearly a way of pandering to the pissholes who've made his life so difficult over the last ten years. I always wanted to think Cena was above that but he seems to have made it a mission to win over the MOVEZ gang in 2015, and it makes my heart bleed for him. He's going to do a fucking moonsault soon you know. A big, spazzy, over-muscled moonsault that looks shit. And all for the love of the worst elements of the WWE crowd.

Is anyone else seeing what I'm seeing, and am I wrong to be disappointed in him? Does anyone prefer Kurt-Angle-superworker-Cena to the more rounded character-wrestler he's been for years? Someone please restore my faith in JC before it's too late.

The Canadian Destroyer was a desperation thing. He's being faced with this big indy top bollocks who's injuring people and giving him avalanche brainbusters and having him off with all sorts of mad new offence, so it makes sense that he'd try and get into his head by giving trying out Smackdown! 2 CAW stock moves like the electric chair drop and then going a step further with the Canadian Destroyer. 

I don't think the switch in style is as dramatic as you're making out, either. It's a smaller more athletic roster with a different set of influences and goals to the last generation that are mainly relying on matches over the standard charisma and vocabulary so at a guess he's probably just trying newer things to mesh with the slightly newer to WWE style. I never read the bottom half of the internet either, but i'm honestly not convinced the strong anti Cena lot of years past exist any more. He's been having some of the best matches the company has ever seen regularly for years now. I don't think anybody really denies that.

Nobody's really made his life hell either. He's not trying to win anybody over and he doesn't have to, he's a multi millionaire who gets to have it off with Nikki Bella every night who's main worries in life are forks going in the spoon drawer accidentally and odd socks.

Everybody keeps saying he hit a Canadian Destroyer, which is a flip pile driver, he didn't do that at all. I first recall seeing Amazing Red do that move, which is essentially a sunset  flip powerbomb, which he named "Code Red".

Various others have done it in the past in WWE, (Melina and Trevor Murdoch spring to mind), and all did it terribly and barring the mild mess up Cena/Owens pulled it off picture perfect.

It's very weird, the turn he's taken since WrestleMania. He near enough completely fucked off Rusev for two months to have the likes of Neville kick out of his finishers. Perhaps he thinks what has he got left to prove other than winning that sort over.

The novelty of the US open challenge leading to Cena doing Undertaker vs Michaels with midcarders has worn off for me, and I think the overexposure of that stuff hurt the specialness his matches with Kevin Owens. Obviously the feud stemmed from the open challenges in the first place, though, so it's not all bad. 

• Paid Members

Everybody keeps saying he hit a Canadian Destroyer, which is a flip pile driver, he didn't do that at all. I first recall seeing Amazing Red do that move, which is essentially a sunset  flip powerbomb, which he named "Code Red".

Yeah, it's been irking me as well, but I didn't want to mention it for being called pedantic.

John Cena, previously derided for his “five moves of doom”, is now getting flak for adding new moves to his repertoire. Poor guy can’t win.

It's different people doing the deriding though. 4chan dickheads with their Pokemon memes are the same gimps that boo Cena in the arenas. The guys who fear for him going a bit move wacky are those of us that thought what he was doing was fine. John Cena, previously divisive because of his in-ring style, is now still divisive since he's started to change that style.

I'm not sure where they'll go with Cena now. Does his next World Title equal or surpass Ric Flair's record? Will they have Cena beat that or what?

John Cena has held the Big Gold Belt 3 times and the proper title 12 times, making him a recognized 15 time World Champion. Whether that equals Flair's record depends on what you consider Flair's record to be.

Flair himself estimates he won a version of the World title 20-22 times including those never officially recognized by the governing bodies (this is 100% going to be the NWA title) however if you want to get into ACTUAL title reigns, it's a bit more complicated. Flair is/was recognized by the NWA and WCW and a 10-time NWA World Heavyweight Champion and a 7-time WCW World Heavyweight Champion. Two of those were concurrent as during his last reign as NWA champ before he went to the WWF he was also recognized as the first "WCW World Heavyweight Champion" which split off into its own title lineage with a different belt, first won by Lex Luger, when Flair went to the WWF and was stripped by both the Alliance and by WCW. So you have 16 reigns altogether. When Flair returned to WCW he was referred to as "16 time World Heavyweight Champion" by the end as they tallied up his total without including his two WWF title reigns. When Flair returned to WWE they continued to refer to him as "16 time World Heavyweight Champion" blissfully unware that WCW were calling him that with no regard for their title.

So, in summary :

10 time NWA World Heavyweight Champion (officially recognized)

7 time WCW World Heavyweight Champion (officially recognized)

with two of those being the same reign so a total of 16 reigns, and -

2 time WWF Champion

So.... to my mind, in terms of officially recognized World title wins, Ric Flair is an 18-time World Heavyweight Champion, and Cena would need three more to equal him.

[/pedant]

Was flair not calling himself an 18 time world champion in the late wcw days? Wonder when it was retconned to 16.

On the cena thing, it is hilarious just how far some people (not on here) will stretch an opinion they probably don't even believe, this week it's "lol cenas letting everyone kick out of the aa" next week it'll be "lol cena beat Tyler breeze with one aa, what an ego".

Shame because cena is on a hot streak right now and I'm hard pressed to remember the last time someone was putting on matches this good with such a wide variety of opponents.

• Paid Members

Thought this thread was gonna be about how badly he landed on the edge of the apron. His knack for tightening up and landing on his lower back finally fucked him over.

• Paid Members

I initially thought he was selling far too much for scrubs in those first few US titles matches but it isn't so bad now he's in a proper feud with someone like Owens, I also hate that all those finishers get kicked out of so often, the big back and forth Angle style false finishes don't really do it for me. He's been dynamite on the mic lately though.

• Paid Members

The novelty of the US open challenge leading to Cena doing Undertaker vs Michaels with midcarders has worn off for me, and I think the overexposure of that stuff hurt the specialness his matches with Kevin Owens. Obviously the feud stemmed from the open challenges in the first place, though, so it's not all bad.

I think that's a massive over exaggeration. He gave Neville and Zayn a shitload of lee way to build the impression that he might be losing the title but most of the other challenges he won comfortably while making the other guy look good.

The Owens matches have clearly been a step up. Cena's face tells the story in each match. His expression is one of utter disbelief at what he's facing and he's clearly made Owens a much, much, much bigger deal than Stardust, Rider, Neville or Zayn.

I loved the Cena/Owens match, maybe match of the year for me so far (although I haven't seen so many) I don't know why people complained about the constant false finishes that had me on the edge of my seat. Being a big fan of Indy wrestling from 2001-2004 this kind of match was right up my alley.

I loved the Cena/Owens match, maybe match of the year for me so far (although I haven't seen so many) I don't know why people complained about the constant false finishes that had me on the edge of my seat. Being a big fan of Indy wrestling from 2001-2004 this kind of match was right up my alley.

Archived