UFC 189: McGregor vs Mendes

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'd be funnier if he just weighed in & walked off. No staredown, no press conferences nothing. What would actually happen if he didn't weigh in?

If he's smart he'll just do what he has to do and leave McGregor to play to the crowd. 

• Paid Members

It'd be funnier if he just weighed in & walked off. No staredown, no press conferences nothing. What would actually happen if he didn't weigh in?

If he's smart he'll just do what he has to do and leave McGregor to play to the crowd. 

The problem is he doesn't seem to be smart. I found the comments stupid to be honest, coming from someone who's clueless on how to sell a fight. As you mentioned in bold earlier, the stuff about fining was just dumb. There's nothing like stoking the fires with the NSAC and testing their resolve with a comment like that. Aldo is possibly right in what he says, but to come out with that corners the NSAC and if something does now happen, you can almost guarantee they will act.

On top of that, him talking about brawling was idiotic too. It was almost like a professional being interviewed before a fight and then starting to list details of their forthcoming fight. His comments really should have been for his and his camps ears only, and certainly not a press conference. 

The problem here I think is that Aldo is a pretty regular guy who simply happens to be shit hot at fighting. He's not a showman, he's not a promoter, he's not charismatic. He's a regular dude. A lot of MMA fighters are like that, and they're having it drummed into them that they have to "sell fights" and suchlike. When you take a guy who isn't particularly good at that kind of thing this is what you get. Shit, cringeworthy stuff.

He should have let McGregor do his thing, and simply portrayed the silent smiling assassin that he usually does.

When guys aren't great at selling themselves (not speaking English doesn't help really), then the UFC have to pick up the slack, which they've done in this case. They've shown loads of footage of Aldo killing his opponents, flying knees, spinning backfists and all sorts. 

The interview he did was a bit cringey when he started saying stuff like that.

• Paid Members

Comes across to me like someone who's been stewing on what happened at the press events on that world tour. Seems like he isn't happy with the way he handled himself and the way he was made to look by McGregor and that he doesn't want the same thing to happen during fight week.

Basically it comes over to me like McGregor got to him.

Yeah, I said a while back that I was very surprised that McGregor managed to get to him. I mean, McGregor's entertaining and all that but his stuff is hardly going to rival Ali's material when he fought Joe Frazier, is it? McGregor's promotional stuff walks a fine line between being the cocky upstart and an annoying wee brother or cousin.

It's all geared towards throwing Aldo into a rage and coming out all wound up in the fight, and it wouldn't surprise me if it happened. 

• Paid Members

Aldo's in a kind of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation. The UFC have essentially told fighters that they need to promote themselves & you end up with stuff like this & Ben Rothwell being shit & making people cringe.

I've long said that I believe the UFC have, or at least had the best promo & marketing machine in the business. Yet they've seemed to get complacent & lazy and basically said 'Yeah we know we're the promoters but we'd rather you do the promoting'. They then wonder why they've seen a downturn in business? There’ll always be certain fighters who are naturally entertaining & engaging so let them. The UFC can just consider that a win (less work for them) & can concentrate their efforts elsewhere, on those fighters who don’t have those attributes and where the promoter will have to actually do some promotion.

• Paid Members

Aldo's in a kind of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation. The UFC have essentially told fighters that they need to promote themselves & you end up with stuff like this & Ben Rothwell being shit & making people cringe.

I've long said that I believe the UFC have, or at least had the best promo & marketing machine in the business. Yet they've seemed to get complacent & lazy and basically said 'Yeah we know we're the promoters but we'd rather you do the promoting'. They then wonder why they've seen a downturn in business? There’ll always be certain fighters who are naturally entertaining & engaging so let them. The UFC can just consider that a win (less work for them) & can concentrate their efforts elsewhere, on those fighters who don’t have those attributes and where the promoter will have to actually do some promotion.

How do you promote guys like Mighty Mouse though? I agree with what you're saying, but you can't blame them for trying to get fighters to give them something to work with.

• Paid Members

Of course you can’t blame them. It’s much easier for a promoter to put the onus on the athlete than do the work themselves. Mighty Mouse is a bit of an odd one because he’s up against the fact that there’s always going to be % of fans who simply won’t get excited about a fighter who’s physically that small. That said, the easiest thing to promote is the best, especially in sport where it’s not subjective (compared to other forms of entertainment).

• Paid Members

Mighty Mouse is an odd one. The UFC are trying with him, as they are keen to tell you he's the best P4P fighter in the world too many times when he gets a mention, but I'm not sure how many of the fans are buying that when we live on a planet with Jon Jones.

Aldo has been perfect with the way he's handled himself during this. If you don't like Conor's brash trash talking, then seeing Aldo sit there looking pissed and talking about smacking him about must be a treat. He may not be playing the game as much as McGregor, but whatever he's done has worked wonders. The last few months wouldn't have been nearly as fun if every exchange ended with Aldo looking and claiming indifference.

• Paid Members

Aldo's been brilliant on the whole in the build-up to this fight. Way better than anyone expected going in, I imagine. I know I've been pleasantly surprised anyway. I always loved the idea of an Aldo vs McGregor fight but I never thought Aldo would've held up his end of the promotion this much. I always expected McGregor to carry the promotion pretty much 100%. Little touches like the finger salute on the Brazil bit of the press tour. The joker poster. The pictures he's posted on Instagram and stuff. All the staredowns were awesome. He's been really good. There'll be hits and misses of course, with someone like Aldo who's not naturally a showman. And this latest bit was a swing and miss. But the good to shit ratio as far as Aldo's promoting of this fight has been massively into the 'good' side. He's been quality.

Unless your Brazlian though, realistically how can you hate Connor? He's that fucking great.

I think he's ace but I can see why others would think he's a twat. He's brash and loud as fuck. Some people will find him a fun character to watch and others will take it as him being a cocky prick. Either option is preferable to indifference though. No MMA fan is indifferent Conor McGregor. The one thing the McGregor fans and critics have in common is that they all can't wait for this fight. For totally opposite reasons but it all equals massive interest.

Big personalities like McGregor will never appeal to everyone. But they do usually rake it in in combat sports. Rousey is the same. Nick Diaz to a lesser extent. Personally I think he's fucking great though. People say he's a cunt or whatever when he's carrying on at press conferences and stuff but that's an extreme version of him when he's amped up to the max. He's going to fight Aldo. Why should two people who are going to fight be nice to each other before the fight? When people who aren't opponents meet him though it's a different story. Every fucker who meets Conor McGregor seems to come away loving him. From Dana White to Andre Berto to Arnold Fucking Schwarzenegger!

conor-mcgregor-arnold-schwarzenegger-752

Screen-Shot-2014-07-20-at-8.04.50-PM.png

McGregor is the man. When has Arnold Schwarzenegger given a shite about MMA before?

He's always just came across to me like someone who's living his dream and embracing every second of it. He was on the dole two years ago and now look where he is. He's having fun with it and I can't hate on that.

How do you promote guys like Mighty Mouse though? I agree with what you're saying, but you can't blame them for trying to get fighters to give them something to work with.

You simply promote him as possibly the very best fighter on the planet, pound for pound. Simple really.

Truth is, not everyone can be huge box office. Not every champion or top contender is going to move the needle, that's just how it is.

Archived