UFC 189: McGregor vs Mendes

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

As crazy at that would be, I'm hoping it goes a couple of rounds at least before someone drops. That's the only way I can see this fight possibly being a letdown. If it ends too quickly. It's not like a Ronda Rousey thing where you now expect it to end quickly. Ronda smashing opponents in ridiculously fast times has almost become a thing people look forward to it seems. Like a Goldberg in 1998 situation. Or 80s Tyson. It becomes part of the charm.

With Aldo vs McGregor people are hoping for this epic war between the two best strikers in the featherweight division. I think for a lot of people, they need to see McGregor in a bit of a war. He's had it all his own way in the UFC so far. I think people want to see what he's got when he's in the trenches and in the middle of a bloody scrap. But Aldo and McGregor are both so dangerous on the feet there's a very real possibility the fight ends early.

The best thing about fights like this is when they really deliver on the hype. Fights like Silva vs Sonnen 1 and Liddell vs Wanderlei for example. Those fights couldn't have played out any better and actually surpassed expectations. With Aldo vs McGregor I think you're VERY unlikely to see a boring fight. But I hope we don't get a two minute KO as well. After all that build up for it to be over in two minutes would be disappointing.

*I'm talking about the fight in that last sentence there but it sounds like my sex life as well.

• Paid Members

David - That's my thinking as well. McGregor's adamant he has answers for the leg kicks but his stance leaves him wide open for them. Of course he can change his stance, but then will his standup lose some of its effectiveness? His kind of karate stance is a big part of what's given his opponents problems.

At the same time, I do think McGregor has a very good chance. Chad Mendes got in range to land bombs on Aldo and he's a) much shorter than McGregor and b) way less varied of a striker. If he was able to get into positions to land punches on Aldo then I can definitely see McGregor giving him problems with his combination of lanky frame/weird movement/speed/KO power.

It's a brilliant clash of striking styles on paper. I think the leg kicks will be the key to this fight though. If Aldo can make the leg kicks work for him then I reckon McGregor will struggle. But if McGregor can find a way to make the leg kicks less effective - checking them, countering with that straight left every time Aldo tries it - then who knows? I think he's going to find it difficult to deal with though. It's all well and good to say he could check the kicks, but he's never really checked kicks much in the past and you don't just learn that shit in one camp. He'll know the techniques already no doubt, but enough to the level to deal with Aldo's kicks? Not sure about that. I think he'll try the second approach more, countering Aldo's leg kicks with straight punches. But that's easier said than done as well. Aldo's leg kicks are so fast and explosive that he might be landing them before McGregor can get his counters off.

I'm as big a McGregor fan as there is, but my head is saying Aldo probably walks away with the gold. McGregor has enough of a chance to make it very, very interesting though and unlike certain dominant champions reigns ending, this one wouldn't shock me so much because the fact Aldo's likely to stand a lot at least plays to McGregor's strengths. If it was Edgar or Mendes vs McGregor I'd be giving him less of a shot.

In the end though, I'm picking Aldo. Probably on points. I'd fucking love to see McGregor win though.

• Paid Members

I see from the voting that almost 70% of you lot believe that McGregor stops Aldo. Seriously?

The UFC hype videos and coverage over the past few months has been effective here at least.

Feels like you've been saying that for most of his UFC run ...

• Paid Members

I can predict the future - if Conor beats Jose, they'll add "Not legit until he beats the #2 guy, then #3 guy" - because beating the champ won't be enough. McGregor will need to go back up the rankings in reverse beating everyone before anyone gives him his due credit- will they still probably won't do.

People are already saying: "yeah, maybe he can beat Aldo - but he can't beat Mendes or Edgar".

mc.jpg

• Paid Members

I can predict the future - if Conor beats Jose, they'll add "Not legit until he beats the #2 guy, then #3 guy" - because beating the champ won't be enough. McGregor will need to go back up the rankings in reverse beating everyone before anyone gives him his due credit- will they still probably won't do.

What I reckon will happen is, if McGregor beats Aldo, the line then will be either;

A) Aldo is on the decline. McGregor caught him at the right time.

Or

B) McGregor should be at lightweight. He's only doing so well at featherweight because of his frame. It's unfair etc etc.

Either argument would be fucking goofy.

A) Aldo is the greatest featherweight the sport's ever known. Bar none. No-one has come close to achieving what he has at 145 in terms of the level of opposition he's been beating and for how long. He looked awesome in his last fight against the best Chad Mendes we've ever seen. If Conor beats Aldo, in any fashion, he's automatically one of the best fighters on the planet whether the haters like that fact or not. He'll have done something no-one has been able to come close to doing in over a decade.

B) McGregor is a big featherweight but there's never even been a hint that he's struggling too much to make 145. He's never missed the weight. He's never had to get behind the towel at a weight in and force those innocent, pure, virginal octagon girls to run for cover out of shyness of seeing a cock for the first time. He's never had to come back and try to weigh in a second time. He's been hitting 145 on the nose routinely, even though he was allowed to come in at 146 for non-title fights, and looking like the most energetic weight cutter imaginable both on the scales and during the staredowns. Basically, if he's making weight with no issues then this argument is dead on arrival.

People are already saying: "yeah, maybe he can beat Aldo - but he can't beat Mendes or Edgar".

I've said that but I just think it's a styles thing. I think he matches up a lot better with Aldo than he does with Mendes and especially Edgar. Edgar's his biggest obstacle on the horizon for me. Could be wrong though, of course. For all we know he might beat all three, or maybe he's already peaked and all three will destroy him. That's the beauty of it, we'll find out soon enough. But anyone acting like a win over Aldo will be wiped away by subsequent losses to Edgar and/or Mendes is a fucking clutching at straws pillock.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people let their dislike of a fighter's personality cloud their opinion of that fighter's actual skills. I've long accepted that most of the McGregor haters will never be convinced no matter what he does. That picture above sums it up. I've said it before but when they say they want him to 'prove himself' it really seems like they actually just want him to lose. The goalposts change after every fight. I distinctly remember after the Brandao fight, people going 'meh, Brandao is nothing special. McGregor needs to prove himself against someone legit like Poirier or Swanson.' I remember that being the general gist amongst the detractors at the time. So McGregor comes out and crushes Poirier in under two minutes and the guy they were all hailing as 'legit' and who was going to 'shut McGregor up' is now being talked about like he's a can. Holloway was dismissed as well as an easy opponent. Both Poirier and Holloway have looked great since the McGregor losses though so that only validates his wins over them more.

I want to see McGregor go unbeaten for the next ten years. Mostly because I think he's brilliant and the sport is better for having him around. He's elevated the whole division's game IMO. They've all stepped up several notches. But I also want him to keep succeeding because fuck the anti-McGregor brigade. Like or dislike who you want, I really don't care about that. But the nitpicking and idiocy of some of those wanting him to fail just makes me want to see him dominate for years.

• Paid Members

/

A) Aldo is the greatest featherweight the sport's ever known. Bar none. 

He's also ranked #1 pound for pound in the official UFC rankings. If Conor does beat him, where do you put Conor in the pound for pound rankings?

• Paid Members

I don't know. As massive as beating Aldo would be, pound-for-pound is a different thing. For one, there doesn't really seem be any solid rule as to what actually puts a fighter in that discussion either. It's a bit of a stupid discussion when you really think about it as it was all originally based on the idea that if you took every fighters skills and made size and weight a non-factor, who'd be the best fighter in the world? It's an impossible thing to know obviously as, of course, we can't magic away people's physical advantages.

For one thing though, I think to be in the pound-for-pound discussion you really should have proven your skills against a variety of styles over a decent period of time. Which is why I'd currently still have Jon Jones at #1. Aldo would be my #2 and probably Mighty Mouse in third.

McGregor would need to have more than the win over Aldo, as impressive as that would be, to get on that list IMO. It's not like the normal divisional rankings where you beat a guy and you take his spot. Chris Weidman didn't leap over Jones and GSP in the pound-for-pound rankings when he beat Anderson Silva. And nor should he. You need to show over time that your skills are such that you can dominate and beat different styles.

For McGregor, beating Aldo then beating a great wrestler like a Frankie Edgar would go a long way to getting him in the P4P mix. Then defending his title multiple times against different styles and maybe going up to 155 and having success there.

P4P for a lot of people seems to just be a case of 'which champion do you like best?' Of course when trying to decide the single best fighter in the world, naturally champions will feature heavily but I would've put Daniel Cormier in amongst the P4P best even before he won the title. Based on his record of barely dropping a round in fights against different styles and being a top heavyweight when he looks as big if not slightly smaller than the middleweight champ Chris Weidman. I'd still have Anderson up there as well although he'd obviously have dropped a bit.

GSP would probably still be #1 for me but he's not technically an active fighter at the moment. Then again neither is Jones. So Aldo would actually be top of the rankings for me now as well. If McGregor beats him then Aldo drops and Mighty Mouse takes #1.

B) McGregor should be at lightweight. He's only doing so well at featherweight because of his frame. It's unfair etc etc.

If anyone uses that logic, they would also have to accept that Jones's run as Light Heavyweight Champion was unfair. Pretty daft, Although, as I have said in the past, that 20lbs gap between Light Heavyweight and Middleweight does influence mismatches

Plus, Aldo is also a big Featherweight. Hence the issues with him cutting weight, and occasionally fading during later rounds. 

I would not be shocked if either went on to become Lightweight Champion. 

• Paid Members

This is as close to a 50/50 fight that we’ve seen Aldo face IMO. McGregor’s got crazy power for a featherweight & I honestly don’t believe Aldo can afford to eat as many shots from Conor as we saw him take from Mendes. On the flipside is that we saw Siver land a number of kicks to McGregor. Maybe Conor chose to take them in order to counter but I think most would agree that Aldo’s leg kicks are a different class to Siver’s altogether.

There’s also the factor of the size of the occasion. Aldo’s been in title fights for the past 5 years, this is another day at the office. There’s a tonne more pressure on McGregor, especially seeing as he’ll essentially have to beat Aldo twice seeing as there’ll be an immediate rematch given Aldo’s reign.

As a fan there’s really no bad result. If Aldo wins it’s yet another display of world class fighting talent. If McGregor wins we get a new champ & it freshens things up. I do fear that an Aldo win would see the beginning of a very tough ride for Conor though. The UFC won’t be able to keep him away from Edgar & Mendes for much longer and I’d put money on both handling Conor with little bother.

/

A) Aldo is the greatest featherweight the sport's ever known. Bar none. 

He's also ranked #1 pound for pound in the official UFC rankings. If Conor does beat him, where do you put Conor in the pound for pound rankings?

#1 obviously.

The same way Wales just beat the Number 2 ranked team in FIFA Rankings, and I now Claim Wales are number 1 in ther world, if Conor beats the number 1 guy, he is the new number 1 guy.  The Champions are more than likely always going to be the top 7-8 places, and out of the champions the only guy I'd put near Conor is Weidman

Archived