What would it take for WWE to go under?

JohnnyChimpo

Didn't WWE have a scandal in the past which Jimmy Garvin, Mel Phillips & Pat Patterson were allegedly involved in?.

Cena makes WWE about a hundred mil a year. Heath Slater makes them fuck all. Heath Slater still needs his wages paying, as do all the wrestlers and staff. If Cena gets paid the hundred mil that he draws, and the same  "you get paid what you draw" is true of Reigns, Bryan, Orton etc... Well, where does the money come from to keep the company running? And how do the people who don't draw a dime get from show to show?

Didn't say John should get 100 mil a year. Just that considering his draw-ability he should be better compensated and paid on-par with other top sports stars. He's the WWE's equivalent of say a top level pro-football like a Messi & Ronaldo. Ronny makes an estimated $79m a year, Messi $70m. Granted WWE doesn't fill out the Bernabeu and the Nou Camp every alternate week(s) but he's a major merch seller, on the face of countless WWE products and such, so $5m seems a small drop in the ocean compared to what he's generating. Using the football analogy, Barca need to pay their main team, the reserves, the youth players, developmental players, coaches, physios, ground staff, any loan fees they incur by sending out players on loan to other teams but still paying their wages et al. In fact, football is a much more thin line between profit & loss, since most teams way exceed their wage bills to have the top players. Which is why some buckle under the wage bill, incur debts and go into administration, or even in some instances the club has to shut down. WWE has to pay their staff too and their talent, but I'm sure their total wage bill is way within their limits and they are still making huge profits each annum. Not at the level they previously did, say in the Hulk top years or the Attitude Era, but still they are profitable. 

Again the likes of Slater, Ryder et al are still a moot point, because they are I'm assuming paid accordingly to their position on the card. WWE doesn't need to splash out tons of money on their undercard talent, but I do think they should pay people fairly. Even the undercard guys like a Heath Slater deserve a decent wage since they bust their butt for WWE and risk permanent injury each time they step in the ring. Maybe if they did unionize everyone would get their due, but I don't see that happening. If that did happen they would get a better proportion of the revenues they generate. It's the likes of Cena, Reigns, Rollins, Ambrose et al who are the 'draw', not the WWE brand itself despite what they may believe. Take Cena out of the mix and I can't see where the next star is coming through. Reigns maybe, but he doesn't have the same marketability of John Cena. 

Take Cena out of the mix and I can't see where the next star is coming through. Reigns maybe, but he doesn't have the same marketability of John Cena

You really think? He's better looking than Cena ever was, and looks the type to keep his looks with age rather than have his head melt into a spitting image puppet like JC.

6105%20-%20briefcase%20john_cena%20money

• Moderators

Worse than if it was Cena, if Hogan ever got caught in Savile style antics -- or those insane incest rumours from a while back turned out to be true -- not only wouldit be the worst press ever, but they could kiss goodbye to most of their big, historic moments. Editing Benoit's name out of match listings is one thing, but the Network would be worthless, and empty, if all of Hogan's past appearances had to be wiped out.

• Paid Members

When Vince dies, I wonder what comes out regarding him. I guarantee there's more than a few things he's covered up over the last 3 decades.

That's all out there though and no-one seems to care. I know some stuff could come out of the woodwork in an attempt to cash-in but there are horrible allegations already that no-one wants to look into.

WWE has to pay their staff too and their talent, but I'm sure their total wage bill is way within their limits and they are still making huge profits each annum. Not at the level they previously did, say in the Hulk top years or the Attitude Era, but still they are profitable.

No they aren't.

Worse than if it was Cena, if Hogan ever got caught in Savile style antics -- or those insane incest rumours from a while back turned out to be true -- not only wouldit be the worst press ever, but they could kiss goodbye to most of their big, historic moments. Editing Benoit's name out of match listings is one thing, but the Network would be worthless, and empty, if all of Hogan's past appearances had to be wiped out.

I doubt Hogan would be worse than Cena. Hogan isn't current, most people who watched him in his prime probably don't watch anymore. Even if they do those people are lifers and won't stop watching. Cena on the other hand would drive away huge numbers of young fans.

WWE have downplayed Hogan's achievements plenty in the past simply for working in a different company.

• Moderators

I doubt Hogan would be worse than Cena. Hogan isn't current, most people who watched him in his prime probably don't watch anymore. Even if they do those people are lifers and won't stop watching. Cena on the other hand would drive away huge numbers of young fans.

WWE have downplayed Hogan's achievements plenty in the past simply for working in a different company.

Historically, Hogan is the bottom deck on the house of cards. And forget downplaying; if he was whitewashed from history, half their footage would be gone.

• Paid Members

The key world is that they downplayed his legacy with the promotion. They never completey deleted it. You'd have to get rid of the first decade of the Vince ran WWF if they did. Even in the 90s, when Hogan was in WCW, they'd release Hogan stuff and give it the backhander by billing it as "WrestleMania III, featuring Hulk Hogan IN HIS PRIME." They famously put the Best of Survivor Series featuring "Hogan in his prime" against TNT's premier of Assault on Devil's Island, just to try and fuck with WCW by using Hogan's famous matches against a Turner financed movie.

Don't forget WWE buried Hulk & Macho in the mid 90's with their Billionaire Ted skits too. If Hulk was embroiled in any type of scandal like the one suggested that would remove a huge part of their early footage for sure as the Hulkster is still synonymous with the WWF. But they are masters are re-writing history and painting over anything which isn't favorable to them. Which is why they did the hatchet jobs on the Rise & Fall of WCW, buried Warrior with the Self Destruction DVD then embraced him with open arms in the biggest two-faced hypocritical thing ever when they made him out to be one of the greatest of all time. 

No they aren't.

Well according to the annual report that's correct, but only around a loss of about $32,000 in the past financial year and a lot of that was down to issues with the launch of the Network, setting all that up etc. Once they hit the golden number of subscribers I think that will help turn things around. But they are no where near in any financial danger, not as of yet anyway.

Historically, Hogan is the bottom deck on the house of cards. And forget downplaying; if he was whitewashed from history, half their footage would be gone.

Well if Cena was removed pretty much every show of the last ten years would be fucked along with a huge chunk of fans gone. Yeah it would be really really shit if Hogan had to be erased, but it would be far more damaging to current WWE if they had to wipe out Cena.

Honestly fail to see how it would be worse if Hogan was involved in a huge scandal than Cena. It is far more likely though

Honestly fail to see how it would be worse if Hogan was involved in a huge scandal than Cena. 

Yeah. Hogan would probably get more press over here, but the current star being involved in a big scandal like that is far worse than the star from 20-30 years ago. If it was Hogan, there'd at least be the implication that the company has been cleaned up since. If it's Cena, they're well and truly fucked.

It is far more likely though

I dunno, Hogan was never as interested in sick kids as Cena seems to be.

Didn't WWE have a scandal in the past which Jimmy Garvin, Mel Phillips & Pat Patterson were allegedly involved in?.

It was Terry Garvin who was allegedly into the ring boys not Jimmy Garvin who married Precious

Archived